Epiphone Les Paul FAQ

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. qwank

qwank Senior Member

these might still have the really cheap pickups with no markings on them. i THINK they went to the better ones in 98 or 99

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Great.... So the word is that the early-mid 90's Epi Les Paul's pickups were not exactly top of the line then, huh?..

I guess I can live with these pups for awhile, but will probably replace them at some point.

3. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Yeah, I'm sure I will change out the pups at some point. I'm going to play it for awhile and see what these pickups sound like w/ different settings, amps, etc., but I'm pretty sure that I'll swap them out. It sounds pretty muddy on my Fenders (HRDx, Champ), nice with the Marshall VS100.. I need to try it out on a tube Marshall. Looking at the DSL401 now.

It's a nice axe other than the pickups. Love the action. Seems to stay in tune even with the old Kluson green tulip-head tuners (which I like the look of..), and the honeyburst flame top is amazing! Just had it set up, new selector switch, new jack. Now plays/feels great..

4. aoresteen

aoresteen Member

Hum, no mention of the Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe models - my favorite as I have two!

Shouldn't they be added to the model list?

5. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Well it's not really a model that many people know of, and they seem to be rare. If I added every model of LP to the list, it would go on for quite a bit, which why I limited it to current production non-sig models.

6. aoresteen

aoresteen Member

OK, that makes sense. I didn't realize that you were listing current production models.

Thanks!

7. dribblinaxemurderer

dribblinaxemurderer Junior Member

I'm looking to change the pickups in my epi lp black beauty to SD alnico pro II's but am unsure of which pup to put in the middle position. You can get one for the neck position and one for the bridge but obviously not one for the middle. Any ideas would be much appreciated (sorry for my ignorance but I'm kind of new to all this!!).

8. Sinmastah

Might want to ask around in the tonefreaks section.

9. Zhaed

Zhaed Junior Member

Absolutely... I been using a Jazz and JB in my HSH Talon for years before I bought my Epi Studio. I love them so much that I went ahead and purchased a second Jazz and JB the same day I purchased my Studio and immediately installed them afterward. Course there's a huge tonal difference between an alder Fender and a mahogany Epi... one difference I do not regretat all.

The factory pups aren't horrible mind you, a good sound without having to sink another $150 (usd) or so for replacements. Unfortunately in the case of my studio, I knew the stock pups weren't coil tapped. Something I was looking for to get more tonal variety.

As for the price, it's an amazing story, I just may share it some day here.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

A bit of supplementary advice... Don't jump to conclusions regarding a tone issue until you've explored all the easiest options.

Case in point: I read in one of those "Ask a Guitar Tech" things in Guitar World (I think the guy's name is Matt Bruck), anyway, the guy asks, "My neck pickup doesn't have as much output as the bridge pickup, what's wrong?"

The tech advises him to replace his toggle switch. WTF? The guy could've simply adjusted his pickup height and/or pole-piece height, and that might've done it.

11. Sinmastah

Uhm, well this is all assuming you have done the set up. I am pretty sure adjusting the pickup height won't increase how good your pots sound, or how efficient your tone knobs will be,

12. purevilpleasure

purevilpleasure Senior Member

Here, now it's stickied.

13. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

:thumb:.....AW= Arctic White....:cheers:

14. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

Updated! Remember folks, an F serial does not immediately mean MIJ.

15. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

:applause:Yes Sir! this is one fine thread for us Epi players out here, lotta info/low cost...made just for Guitar Players!...SINMASTEH : THANK YOU!!:dude:

16. LPGoth

LPGoth Senior Member

i have a question. what does the label "B-Stock" mean?

17. The Guitarist

The Guitarist Epi Verification Expert

its a guitar that's usually in working order, but there's some sort of problem or blemmish in the asthetics, finish etc. But they usually work perfectly and come at a lower price if you dont mind a less than perfect finish.

18. pugachev

pugachev Senior Member

hey guys,

i was recently in the market for a gibson les paul traditional but I couldnt justify the price. My question is, is there any different, other than looks, between the elitist les paul custom and the regular epi elitists? None of the local shops carry these where I live and I wanted to know if these were better than gibson studios. I often hear they are, but my frist guitar, an epi standard, was just a horrible guitar. I think I just got unlucky on that though.

19. Sinmastah

The difference between the Elitist Standard and Custom are the same between Epi Standard and Custom.

20. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

FWIW, I found this yesterday. Australian Music Imports - Epiphone Finishes