Epiphone Les Paul FAQ

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

si fu sinmastah...

i love kung fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

hi hi hiiii...

ledzepp2122 likes this.
  2. surfer777

surfer777 Senior Member

This may seem pointless to you guys but when I was first on the forums I had no clue what this all meant:

HCSB--Heritage Cherry Sunburst
    HB--Honeyburst
    VS--Vintage Sunburst
    TA--Transparent Amber

I don't think I missed any colors that really get abbreviated...hope this helps someone!

Marty and cherryles like this.
  3. AdrielTimothealovesLps

AdrielTimothealovesLps Senior Member

E--Ebony :naughty:

frismend24 likes this.
  4. surfer777

surfer777 Senior Member

Hahaha thanks Adriel!

5. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

GT= goldtop:thumb:

6. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

Fix'd.

These get confused a lot:
    WR--Wine red -- HIGH GLOSS
    WC--Worn cherry -- SATIN
    WB--Worn brown -- SATIN

Others that came to mind:
    AW--Arctic white
    FC--Faded cherry burst
    ME--Midnight ebony

The heritage cherry sunburst (HCS) is also referred to as HS--Heritage sunburst in some models.

7. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Considering adding SGs>LPs... :hmm:

8. zabikt

zabikt Member

Well, I've got another one:

Q: What is the difference between Epiphone Slash Standard model and typical Epiphone Standard model?

A: Epiphone Slash Sig. models are equipped with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups, "Slash shaped" neck - which is a little fatter than a standard Epiphone neck. It is also stated that every Slash sig. guitar is equipped with long-neck tenon and LockTone Tune-o-matic bridge. Slash Sigs. are also equipped with tulip, vintage style tuners and have "Limited Edition Epiphone Custom Shop" logo on the back of the head and "Slash" name on the truss rod cover. Slash Sig. models were made in Quingdao plant in China. Colors are: Tobacco Sunburst Plus-Top finish (Vintage Sunburst looks very similar) and in Slash Goldtop finish (which looks a litte different than other Goldtops - it has some sparkly little pieces in paint and it looks a little different). Every Epipohne Slash Sig. comes with hardshell case featuring inprinted Slash logo and a certificate of authenticity (hand signed by Slash himself on Goldtops).

Now a little side note: some Slash Sig. Tobacco Sunburst guitars come without certificate and case. Mine Slash is 100% legit and was bought on-line from official Epiphone dealer - it come in Epiphone box only and was missing case and certificate. I've contacted main Epiphone distributor for Poland and they where somewhat confused that my guitar was missing that stuff. After some time they have stated that they have recived some Slash Sig. for distribution in Poland and only 6 had case, certificate, strap, picks and book - full package. Each and every one of them was sold as something "special" in one guitar shop in Warsaw. The rest of them was sold without anything in the rest of the country. I've was contacting Gibson and Epiphone and I had recived just one mail from Gibson and hadn't recived any reply for my further mails. I just wanted my certificate and case - I've paid a full price and I feel ripped of.

Gibson stated to me that "As part of our launch, Slash (the artist) approved a limited number of certificates and “official” launch promotion guitars around the world. Poland only received 6 such Epiphone guitars. Thus, for guitars that were sold to dealers & shops prior to 1 April, we – unfortunately – cannot issue certificate and accessories. This helps ensure the integrity of all our launch promotions – both this one as well as any in the future. Because the actual piece you purchased was not part of the official launch promotion in Poland, we unfortunately cannot issue a certificate and accessory kit for you. I apologize for the confusion and appreciate your understanding."

I still feel being ripped off - I paid the full price and expected full package. I've couldn't understand why someone would treat certificate of authenticity "as a part of promotion"... They ignored my further mails.
    Just a little rant from me, so that you know how Gibson/Epiphone treats Europe. If anyone is interested in that thing I can write a full story on a new topic.

9. surfer777

surfer777 Senior Member

Oh my gosh I just remembered another one that threw me off a ton when I first got on this website....

When someone says LP Std, it does NOT mean Les Paul Sexually Transmitted Disease!!! It means Les Paul STANDARD!

10. AdrielTimothealovesLps

i disagree :cool:

CherryBurstChaser likes this.
  11. AdrielTimothealovesLps

btw FB--Fireburst
    i think

12. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

A log for the fire...

13. longandwindingroadstar

longandwindingroadstar Junior Member

I have small hands and would prefer a neck that isn't too chunky. Today I looked at a brand new Epi LP Studio, and I liked it... except the neck was very thick. (I often play an Ibanez Roadstar, souped up, so I'm used to a thinner, 25.5 scale.) Are there Epi LPs that have thinner necks than the studio?

Also, I understand that new Epiphone LPs are Mahogany bodies, better than the older models. Do you know when they started with the Mahogany on the Epi LPs? Thanks.

14. Sinmastah

They always used mahagoney, but recently they have been using less and less mahagony, and more alder and cheaper mahagony. If you want a thin neck get an SG.

15. longandwindingroadstar

Thanks for the info. about the wood used. I guess the guy at the store was trying to impress me with how awesome the new models were, and I'm an easy target!

I kinda like the traditional LP looks as opposed to the SG... I understand the LP Ultra has a thin neck. It's a little pricey for me, but maybe I should save up for it... It might feel more comfortable for me, since I'm not used to the heavy LP.

16. longandwindingroadstar

Okay... so I did a trade-in at the local GC, combined with a good coupon I had... and came home on a great deal with a 2008 Epiphone LP Standard (plain top) honey burst. The neck is a little thicker than I'm used to, but not bad -- especially with the shorter scale than I'm used to. It kinda evens out. You can see it in my new avatar (along with my old Ibanez Roadstar -- didn't want the older sibling to be jealous of the new baby!).

17. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Does anyone know what stock pickups came with the '96 (Korean) Epi Les Paul Standard Plus Top?

Thanks ~

Attached Files:

1960lespaulcustom likes this.
  18. Sinmastah

Alnico V's? No idea really, you might be able to tell by taking them out and looking.

19. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Yeah, that would be the best way to do it, but I think if I were to do that, I might just go ahead and replace them. The stock pups (I'm assuming they're stock - I just bought it used) are OK, but the neck pup is a little muddy. Bridge seems nice and hot though..

I've been told SD Jazz for neck and SD JB for bridge are good replacements, but know there are many others out there that would work, too.. I don't hate the stock ones, I just think I might be able to do better.. (??)

20. Sinmastah

Go for it, I replaced the Pups in my Elitist and they are MIA.