Epiphone Les Paul FAQ

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Sinmastah, Jan 25, 2009.

1. VulturePenguin

VulturePenguin Member

I contacted the seller on ebay to ask and yes they are the same strings that came with the guitar :shock:. He said he'd played it once and then never touched it again.

2. Hack

Hack Senior Member

Wow! :thumb:

I have no idea what came stock. Have you taken it in for a set up? They could match them up at that time, I'll bet.

3. VulturePenguin

VulturePenguin Member

I know, I was pretty surprised too! I've adjusted the action to how I like it but yes, I will be taking it in at some point to get it properly set up. Most likely sometime next week, I've been told getting it done can make a World of difference. Just need to get off my arse and get into town!

Hack likes this.
  4. luizotavio_97@hotmail.com

luizotavio_97@hotmail.com Junior Member

Great post, but your picture freaks me out hahahahahahah:wow:

5. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

My LP Standard SN is 08091505234 - with MIC sticker on it. So the SN translation would be Sept. 08' from Chinese plant code #15 Qingdao (China) -- electric and 05234 is the production number. It seems like I've had it longer than 3 years - oh well, guess it's old timers kick'n in.

Epi Question: The Selector switch is starting to fail - so I was going to replace the pots, caps, and switch at the same time. If anyone has the same model or is familiar with it - how are the PuP's? I'm hesitant to change them out before upgrading these other components which I'm sure are import quality.

Thanks,

Max

6. DuffB

DuffB Senior Member

A lot of people would probably say the stock pickups are mediocre.

I recently bought a new Epi LP Custom and left the stock pickups in it because I think they sound okay; however, I have two standards that I put Seymour Duncan JB bridge and '59 neck pickups in and these pickups are very excellent sounding. I have the nickel covered ones.

I also have one of the Epi Tribute LP's and it has Gibson USA '57 and '57 Plus pickups in it and they are also super great sounding.

There are other great pickups out there but I decided a while back that when I replace pickups I'm only going to get "premium" brand name ones and avoid really cheap ones like the GFS ones - unless you know "exactly" what you are getting because some of these so called cheap pickups are actually quite good. I have found out that buying cheap pickups doesn't really save much money because they are not really cheap to begin with and some premium ones are only about twenty or thirty dollars more each. If you have someone else put them in that adds to the cost, so, relatively speaking I don't think I would be saving much putting in cheap pickups. They usually won't be any better than the stock ones and I usually regret not getting the ones I "really" wanted.

Also, it might be a good idea to see what exact pots and caps and so forth that the tech is going to put in your guitar, because you want to upgrade it and you don't know what they stock. They might just have cheap stuff instead of the good stuff, in stock. They will usually be able to order the real good pots, caps, switches, and jacks for you very inexpensively.

Recently I had a new switch put on a Squier Classic Vibe strat and they only had cheap funky switches in stock. I personally examined them and they said they could order in a Fender American series type one if I wanted it. It only took a few days to come in and it cost almost the exact same price but is a really nice switch and should hold up for a long time.

You can really build that standard up into a nice guitar. I, personally, would probably get the premium pots and so on, and get some high quality pickups put in. On the other hand, I like my Custom stock and have no desire to upgrade it at this point; but if I did I might have gold plated Gibson '57's like my Tribute put in it or put them in myself.

Hope this info helps you out.

How do "you" think your pickups sound? Do you like the sound of the neck pickup? What amp are you using? The money might be better spent getting a real good amp if you only have an entry level one.

2themax likes this.
  7. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Thanks Duff,
    I've been a little disappointed with my tone for a while now. I really love the way the guitar feels and plays. With the switch going bad it's forcing me to do some work on it - otherwise I'd probably let it go (I tend to be an "if it's not broken..." type). I read some of the interview with the Epiphone leadership - and they said they have started using a better grade of parts. I'm not sure when they started. I was going to get the complete vintage Mojotone wiring kit ($50 with pots, caps, wire, jack & switch).

Your dead on, as for tone I really think part of the issue are my amps, stock VOX AD30VT, a AD50VT, and a Frontman 25r. I just bought a used VOX AC4TV head and am looking for a nice speaker cabinet for it (looking at an Egnator Rebel 12" cab with a Celestion 80w). I'm going to test the amp at a vintage shop I deal with to make sure it has a good tone (with a couple of select guitars). Once I know that I've got a decent sounding amp it will be a more accurate test on the PuP's.

PS: I'm not knocking the VT's or the Frontman they are a great value for what they are.

8. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

I appreciate the feedback, might be my ears getting older... When I was playing regular I had two amps that I really loved a late 60's Bandmaster and a 70's small Traynor combo (30w??). It just seems that these amps have a cleaner almost "dry" tone. I had a Peavey Delta Blues for while but rarely ran it loud enough to get it kicking and eventually traded it for the VT50 because it had the output Vol. control on it. Now I'm kind of missing those tube tones.

My LP really sounds the best through the Frontman, especially on the clean circuit (my Tele sounds best through the VOX). I think that part of it is that I'm playing at much lower volumes these days and looking for a really nice sound. I'm thinking the VOX AC4TV will be good to establish a baseline at low volumes - I have noticed that my other amps sound better with a little juice going through them.

9. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Thanks...

10. Mr.Draned

Mr.Draned Senior Member

I'm looking for specs for a 2001 Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. I bought it about a year and a half ago and figured it would be nice to know the specs such as neck profile and such.
    If this has been answered elsewhere, just send me the link and accept my apologies.
    Any help is appreciated!

11. Pie Guy

Pie Guy Junior Member

Epiphone LP Standard :dude:Wiring Upgrade Using Existing Pickup

Been wrestling with rewiring epi lp standard. Replaced cables, pots, jack, switch, wires. Kept the original pickups. (CTS and Switchcraft)

Question: Are additional wires/connections required for keeping the old pups using new hardware and wiring. Been wrestling for hours going over details. Just getting humming. Used several groundings for the pots and jack. If anyone has an answer would appreciate a reply.

Thanks,
    Pie Guy

12. DuffB

DuffB Senior Member

If you took a picture of the way it was wired up or made a drawing, refer to the picture or drawing closely and be sure you matched everything up correctly. If you don't have a picture or drawing it is going to be more difficult probably.

One thing to check is to see if you made all your grounds at the same place on "one" of the pots. Making all the grounds on top of one of the pots is called "star grounding" and can help avoid some hum problems from developing.

You might have to bring this in to a guitar tech and let him make the final wiring connections. This could save you time and effort, and possibly even money. It sounds like the guitar is nice enough to spend the small amount of money it would cost to have a tech wire it up right.

Good luck.

13. ainvisibleninja

ainvisibleninja Junior Member

I just got a LP Standard Plus Top for Christmas and its serial number is 11081508477. Does this mean that it is made in 2011? Or does that mean that it is "MIC sticker on a '08 Masterbuilt 500"?

14. onlypadog

onlypadog Senior Member

August 2011 at Quingdao Plant, China. Production number 8477

15. muckypup

muckypup Junior Member

I will second that. I was shocked at how much better my Epi tribute sounded when compared with my previous guitar an Ibanez RG320. I believe it had infinity 7 pickups.

S.

16. dhbdad

dhbdad Junior Member

Hi I was looking for some help on serial and Model number decoding on an ebay listing. I saw the thread from 2009 with serial # guidance but it didn't address the model # decoding. It's listed as a Epi LP standard. SN#022030650 Model # LPMMSYCHL. I initially assumed that the guitar was manufactured in 2002 but weren't there letter prefixes prior to 2008? I didn't get the 20. Maybe the seller transposed the digits in his email. 30650 production #? For the model # LP=Les Paul MM=? S=Standard YCHL=? (CH=Chrome hardware)?

Can anyone nail it down for me? Thanks in advance for any help.

17. matatown

matatown Junior Member

Question - I just purchased an Epi LP Quilt Top (maple) with the option of returning it to the store by the end of the month (02/12) - I already have an Epi Honeyburst Standard LP, so I'm asking myself why did I buy this one and do I need both LP's. The QT plays like butter and has a more cutting sound - seems lighter as well. And the cosmetics are different besides the pickups. The truss rod cover says Gibson on it and the Les Paul logo is a bit skinnier. I trust that both are because the guitar is 9 years old - made in Unsung. (the serial numbers are U03xxxxxx) The Standard seems a bit more tame and not as smooth to play - could be just a setup will make the 2 the same, but the PUPs definetly sound different. So other than opinions, my questions are -

A. What PUPs are in the QT. I know the Standard has Alnico's - are the ones in my QT the same with the cover simply removed?

b. Why the Gibson truss rod cover?

I'd appreciate any help - you guys and gals rock!

By the way, I'm a newbie here - but I've played in the same band for 23 years - classic rock - but just switched over to the Epi's from a Peavey Fender copy - haven't touched it in 4 years! I'm sold!

Attached Files:

18. Jason2157

Jason2157 Junior Member

Hello everyone I am a newbie at this thread stuff so If I am in the wrong place or wrong time thing please go easy on me : ). I am wondering what a '03 EPI les Paul lynard Skynyrd 30th anniversary signature edition goldtop may be worth, I can get my hand on one I 99% sure is authentic, it was purchased at my local music store and is up for sale by owner now (he purchased new @ store) guitar is mint no scratches looks as if he didn't play it much. It has the original. '57 classic and '57 plus in it. I like skynard and all but fret board as you all know has lynard skynard inlayed down the fretboard and not so crazy about that. I can probably get this axe for $240 should I jump On this? I really want a gold top, again not crazy about fretboard but if this is a smoking deal I may just purchase and try to resell or probably fall in love with sound and keep : )

19. hajetk

hajetk Junior Member

Cool! Thank you for your information.

20. cgm

cgm Senior Member

I am thinking about picking up a used epi les paul at a local guitar center, serial number dw03110329

Using this site: The Guitar Dater Project - Epiphone Serial Number Decoder it told me that...
    Your guitar was made at the
    Deawon Plant, China
    November 2003
    Production Number: 0329

I am new to guitars... does anyone know about the quality from that factory almost a decade ago?