Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty VS Standard

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Oxig3n, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Oxig3n

Oxig3n Junior Member

How much would you guys recommend the Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty over the Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

How does the Epiphone Les Paul Custom fit in with these guitars?

2. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

If I had all three in front of me and someone said pick the one, I'd take te Black Beauty, then the Custom them the Standard. I wanted a custom but came across a sick deal on my STD and I feel great about it. I dont feel like I settled at at. At the end of the day its what ever YOU like the best my friend your the one who has to live and play with it. B B is a sick Guitar though man. Happy hunting!!!:thumb:

3. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

:mad2:not to mention Im left handed and they dont make SHIT for us.:mad:

4. Oxig3n

Oxig3n Junior Member

Also is the Black Beauty just as suited to everything as the Standard/Custom, or does the extra humbucker target it towards different genres?

I'll be wanting to play things such as Guns N Roses, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Coheed and Cambria, Foo Fighters, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Police, Rage Against the Machine, R.E.M, Rolling Stones, Weezer, The Who. That sort of stuff.

5. jonnywrx27

jonnywrx27 Member

i was going for a bb myself but when i went to play with it in the shop the middle pickup kept hittin the pick but im sure u would get used to it
    i have heard a lot of folks saying about hitting the middle pickup getting in the way

but like everythiing else you would soon get used to it

6. SiameseDreamer

SiameseDreamer Senior Member

The extra pickup is awesome... so mcuh variety... especially when the caps are done... :) BB all the way

7. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I find that the middle pickup gets hit with my pick more and tends to be annoying that way, but I have been using 2 pup Customs and Standards for 30+ years.

It does offer some unique tonal variations that you can't get on the others, but for the most part I only used 3 pup customs for the visual appeal and rarely used the middle pickup (I had it disconnected and lowered it out of the way).

The BB is an awesome guitar, but I would play one to see if the middle pup is an issue for your picking style or not before buying one.

8. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

I've had all 3 (Black Beauty, Custom, and Standard). And it's not the case that one is better than the other.

The differences are mainly cosmetic excepting the extra pickup in the Black Beauty.

The Black Beauty will work for ANY kind of music you want to play. Remember, a guitar is only as versatile as the person playing it.

I ended up selling my Black Beauty cause I was trying to get some $$ to pay for a Gibson Les Paul. I love the Gibson LP a lot!! But I miss the BB I had. It was truly a GREAT guitar. I really regret selling it. :(

Here's a couple videos I did of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  9. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

once again great playin coop

10. chriseskew24

chriseskew24 Senior Member

Very talented. Sounds like a very versatile guitar. Sorry to hear it had to go.