Epiphone L.P. Special 2, Bolted neck with particles, unscrewed resulting in a crack on the body

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Tribute2017, Aug 25, 2017.

Would you keep it ?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. What a piece of shit

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Tribute2017

Tribute2017 Junior Member

Hi, i just bought a brand new Epiphone LP Special 2 online and there was wood particles between bolt-on neck and body. I decided to slack the strings and to carefully unscrew the bolt-on neck hoping to do a better job. I noticed that it resulted in a crack on the body where it is meeting the neck. It seem to be the finish only but that look crappy for a brand new guitar :/

On the pics do you think it is finish only or the wood?

I carefully scraped and cleaned the unwanted wood particles and glue bump from the neck joint and then re-bolted the neck well tightly. Didn't have the time to try it again now i'm at work.

I am honestly disappointed that i had to do this and even more that the body now have an ugly crack. The pic of the bolted neck joint is after i worked on it.

I had a good price for it but i am thinking about sending it back. This piss me off and the paint is very thick where the neck meet the body, it dont seem so good quality.

What is your opinion?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

You made the damage yourself........

really ? blame the Company for what you did ?

You should have NOT worked on the guitar

3. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

1. What he said.
    2. When in doubt, ask for help.
    3. Don't attempt work that you're not capable of completing successfully.
    4. When said work fails, don't send the thing back for a refund. That's a dick move.

Sorry for being indelicate, but not really.

4. bungle

bungle Senior Member

That is a messy neck pocket. You just added a little character(mojo) to the guitar. Keep it and play the hell out of it.

5. Tribute2017

Tribute2017 Junior Member

Thanks for your opinions. I remember I already had a Squier Bullet Strat that had a perfectly tight bolted neck without any wood particles or shit in between and i paid less. Still Got a mim Fender Tele with a perfectly bolted neck. So in the first place, i strongly think that the guitar should have been constructed with more care. I improved it by taking care of that problematic neck joint and the crack appear to be only in the finish. Yet The quality is not what i was expecting so i will send back that piece of shit. The neck joint just had to be fine in the first place.

I also recently bought a epiphone Ft350sce and the finish is cracked at the neck heel and cracked on top on the binding, the first one was cracked at neck as well and had others finish flaws, it was worst i sent it back and kept the other... shoddy quality is more often the norm than otherwise with Gibson family of brands.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

[​IMG]

howardlo likes this.
  7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Looks like a finish crack, which can happen around the neck pocket of bolt necks. It's a drag, but likely inconsequential and will be forgotten. That whole neck area is really sloppy, even for an Epi. There's lots of uneven rounding and unimpressive alignment of parts. A friend gave me a Squier Affinity Tele, which is a dirt cheap MIC guitar, and the tolerances are amazingly fine. There's no excuse for a mass producer like Epi, which had hit high standards, churning out sloppy stuff. But once you worked on it, you became the owner of the results.

howardlo likes this.