Epiphone Hummingbird Blem

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by totenkopf13, May 26, 2011.

1. totenkopf13

totenkopf13 Junior Member

I received an ebony Epiphone hummingbird today from Musicians Friend. I initially noted a more or less quarter size dent on the lower bout and called them. They were nice and offered me a $25 credit, I said $30 & they were fine with that. After I calmed down, I saw a sticker on the back of the headstock.

[​IMG]

It makes me wonder? My guess it means it has a/some issue but is not to be thrownaway. Cosmetic only? I would appreciate any insight. I paid $299 to my door minus the $30 puts me at $269. Guitar sounds great.

2. Spirithawk

Spirithawk Senior Member

Man, they should have told you if it had a defect and looking at that sticker I'd say it did. Actually they shouldn't even have shipped you that one. You payed for an as new guitar not a damaged one. I wouldn't be real upset, as you saved $30, but I'd let them know I didn't apreciate it. The $30 will get spent but that dent will always be there.

3. teame1

teame1 Senior Member

thats crazy. Its clearly not right.those stickers are to be commended as it shows quality control is in place and working.musicans friend should be ashamed of themselves.it's your call but i would demand a replacement with a discount for compensation for their dishonest attempt to fob you off with a reject or my money back.
    I feel for you.

4. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Stores need to inspect the instruments and make the customer aware of any flaws the guitar may have. No excuse.

But, if the guitar plays well, just keep it.

However, it's a bit sneaky for stores to sell their blemished instruments and then try to dispose of the issue by offering a cheap discount.

Oh.. and Moderators, please take care of the spammer here!!!!!!!!!!

5. AccustomedtoStandards

AccustomedtoStandards Senior Member

That sticker is required for sale in Europe and does not indicate that the guitar is a blem.

Epiphone seconds have a "2" stamped into the back of the headstock. Epiphones that are sent to a third party reconditioning center before being sold are marked "USED" (which voids the warranty).

So your guitar was likely not a "blem" but damaged in packing and/or shipping. My MIM Stratocaster and 2 of my Epiphones have that same sticker.

Musician's Friend will offer a full replacement if you wish since they have a satisfaction guarantee.

Guitar Center is offering 15% off any purchase over $299. So you could actually send the damaged guitar back to Musician's Friend for a full refund and ask them to send you a new one and price match the price available from their sister company Guitar Center - $254.15.

6. totenkopf13

totenkopf13 Junior Member

Thanks for the info. They offered me an additional $20 which would put me at $249.00.

7. AccustomedtoStandards

AccustomedtoStandards Senior Member

That sounds reasonable. And you avoid the hassle of sending it back and waiting for another one that may or may not sound as good as the one you have regardless of the minor cosmetic imperfection.