Epiphone Genesis: Pictures/Thoughts Please.

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by TheJrAce, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

For me it started out as a an obscure low cost but well-made alternative to LPs. Now folks seem to think they are rare, or special (or in some cases magical) which is hilarious. I am seeing the Standards going for $500 or more and Deluxes for $800 on eBay when just a few years ago they were $200/400 on a good day.

What I liked about them was a) unusual; b) great neck; c) great for cranking; d) cheap & plentiful; e) shunned by cork sniffers and LP crowd.

In any case, they do have a cult following, and Epi picked up on that and decided to do a reissue. I thought the reissue would bomb and said so on the Gibson forum, but here they are so we shall see. I do not think they will be available for long. Surprisingly, the prototype unit I received is a great guitar. I don't like that they caved to LP fanboys and put V/V/T/T knobs on, I thought the 3-pot arrangement was quirkier and truer to the original, but at least they moved the jack to the side like it should have been on the originals.

I've always said they're not for everyone, but neither are Eastwood Airlines and people seem to love them, go figure.

1 person likes this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

ok, cool. thanks!

3. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

This is to bump up this thread and thank Brian for all the info and help with my new purchase. He's already seen this, but i thought you lot might like to see whats flying over 'the muddy ditch' to me in the UK. Also to thank peteR
    for making me feel so welcome here already! Cheers guys,i cannot wait to get this beauty -
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. Brians Evil Twin

Hey Mako, welcome aboard!

5. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

GENEGAS update!

Its in the UK, awaiting clearance by Her Maj's customs and excise.
    'spose they'll have it for a week while they decide how big the 20% needs to be to line the gov.s pockets! I hope they release it sooonnnnnn!!!!!!!:fingersx:

What happened to the photo i posted previously?:hmm:

6. Brians Evil Twin

It's still here...

7. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

....it really is here now!
    [​IMG]
    Its a bit different, and in a good way !

3 people like this.
  8. Clanky44

Clanky44 Senior Member

Congrats on the Genesis!, :thumb: what's it tipping the scales at?

9. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

Dead on 8 lbs.
    [​IMG]

10. Brians Evil Twin

2 people like this.
  11. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

hi guy check this!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_12QrQ7f_M]LBDMP - Amor Canibal (En vivo 24/11/12) - YouTube[/ame]

R N fng Roll!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n1s84CsvY[/ame]

12. Kage

Kage Member

Very much this! I was very tempted to move it on one of mine after I replaced the splitter switch with another pot.

13. Kage

Kage Member

Any other Genesis owners get to check out the new ones? My GC has a couple, first thing I noticed was the necks are different and they seemed a hair lighter. Didn't run it through an amp, hope the pickups are better than the junk the originals had.

14. makoshark

makoshark Senior Member

Kage, i have both old and new. I think you are being a bit harsh about the old p'ups, i think they are great for heavy rock and old skool metal, and they clean up pretty good as you roll back the volumes. Jim Walker (original Gen. designer) told me they were based on Dimarzio's that were big back at the time. The old Gen. is a bit heavier too! The new probuckers took me a time to work out. I was not too impressed at first, but with a good setting up - adjusting all poles and p'up height and blocking the p'ups level to strings really made 'em come to life. You can split the bobbins on both, where as you can only split the neck on the original Gen. The new Gen is certainly more versatile and tone wise covers a load more styles. These new Epi' p'ups are a massive leap forward compared to the usual offerings - American designed i believe too. I usually remove the p'ups along with the loom from any Epi' i buy as a rule, but not the Gen. Get it set up properly and i'm sure you will like what you hear. If Brians evil twin reads this, i'm sure he'll chime in with his opinion on both Gens - a true Gen'ious indeed!!
    [​IMG]

15. Kage

Kage Member

Mako, I know some people like them, there are probably worse pickups out there. And honestly I didn't think about them that much until after I won a set of pickups and decided to put them in my Deluxe. The difference was just amazing. Yeah, okay, it's probably not fair to compare the stock ones to the handmade ones that replaced them. Lol. But when I got my Genny Standard set up (also vintage not reissue) I couldn't get them swapped out fast enough.

Should point out that both old guitars got new pots and caps as well. Nothing fancy, just new but totally worth the $25.

1 person likes this.
  16. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

hi , i have 2 Genesis Custom ,
    one with original piickups and other with a Seymour Duncan set,
    both guitars sound great, i really enjoy play both but i really like plays which has the original pickups
    the sound is less compresed and has less gain, but has a beauty "sparkling" sound, more rounded and has more low end,
    the higher notes are much "rich", sounds more "complete", real sweet.
    you can plays a regular D with hi gain and sound clear and warm.

The Seymours Duncan has more armonics i think.

also my geni in gral, is quite different to most, so that may also influence.

I have tested it with friends alongside a PRS 20th anniversary and several Les Paul, and at no time did anyone he perceived lower quality audio over the others, so surely the sound good, we tested through several amps Marshall (jcm800/900), Mesa(Dual Rect) and also a 1969 Fender Bassman and variety of classic stompboxes.

that's my experience.

1 person likes this.
  17. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

hi folks,
    here I leave some videos of a great band whose guitarist uses a vintage Epiphone Genesis, he used for many years this guitar with their original pickups
    in their songs can appreciate the sound of the Genesis

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yfz-GwdnU]Acorazado Potemkin - Phuma Thurman - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYYQJiLyDBY]Acorazado Potemkin - La Mitad (Video Oficial) - YouTube[/ame]

and here you can listen the sound of the Genesis through a HiGain setup

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n1s84CsvY]LBDMP - Una Nueva Muerte (Video oficial Hd) - YouTube[/ame]

here is as little demo of an vintage Genesis Custom
    the bridge pickup is the original, the neck seems to have been changed
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m69teOFzj1s[/ame]