Epiphone Genesis: Pictures/Thoughts Please.

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by TheJrAce, Nov 16, 2009.

1. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

i dont know if was with or without Gibson autorization,
    but I have on my hands like the catologs pics,
    you never seen my avatar?

here is the Japan wonders

[​IMG]

the first (up left)
    the "Redsunburt" Custom , exactly the same as mine , this guitar was sold in japan in 2010. that finish does not even appear in the catalogs. probably was only for the japan market.

The black Custom very unique, i never saw another one.

Up and right the Redsunburst Standard belongs of a friend of mine.

The tobacco sunburst Custom, this was on my hands...soon be mine.

the tobacco sunburst Standard.

there are not many...but exist.

Epiphone Genesis Lovers: Real Epiphone Genesis 1979

2. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

Sweet collective.
    Other than the PU covers and maybe an E truss rod cover, what makes the black Custom unique?

3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

OK so here's the thing. Covered pickups and witch hat knobs can be bought and installed after market. We would need to see the wiring cavity on those guitars to see if they were modified. According to Jim Walker, the guy that designed them and ordered the samples built, the MIJ Genesis were lighter and bodies thinner than the Taiwan production units. So we would need to have weights and calipers applied to these guitars to verify they were MIJ.

Even if this were done, you've shown only 5 or 6 guitars. And only TWO of those guitars has the "E" truss rod cover shown in the catalog photo. Spreading misinformation about the production units only hurts buyers who think the Taiwan units they're purchasing are MIJ. So why continue this falacy? We need to deal in facts, not speculation and I haven't seen anything but photos so far.

I'm not saying that a few prototype MIJ Genesis don't exist, in fact I believe this is true as JW has confirmed. But he also said that there were only a few and many people (mostly eBay sellers) are extrapolating this information to cover ALL the production units which both Gibson and JW have confirmed is not true. This is unethical, a cheat for buyers, and has no basis in factual, defensible proof.

4. Brians Evil Twin

5. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

mysteries are also one of the charms of this guitar
    perhaps better so.

6. Brians Evil Twin

Someday, I'd like to run across one of the prototypes, just to play it a little and take photos and measurements.

That would be very cool.

1 person likes this.
  7. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

8. 5-0 phonebooth

That's beautiful! Virtually new, and certainly went between look's again for me. Folks are snatching these up instantly when they can, even @ $850, which is the most I've ever seen one go for, and it's not a top-of-the-line Custom. Somebody is going to be happier than they already are once they get hold of it. Forum member?

9. Brians Evil Twin

Interesting that this guitar was sold and bought as a Custom when it is clearly a Deluxe. Not only was the seller a bald-faced liar, but they invoked the "Made in Japan" misinformation as well. As nice as it is, that guitar is worth $500 max.

1 person likes this.
  10. 5-0 phonebooth

If that pristine example is worth only $500 tops, then these guitars must not be all that good. I've not received my Custom yet..., and if I wasn't so horny for the cosmetics of the Customs, which extents primarily to the nicer binding, I too would have (grudgingly) paid the $850 for this one. I've never even played one to know 1st hand thier highest qualities, just running on comments and audio clips, and the consideration that very possibly they're under priced/appreciated.

11. Brians Evil Twin

12. 5-0 phonebooth

Your link doesn't work, in a quick search I find one being sold at $654 to be an exceptional deal, possibly once in a lifetime considering the cheapest price, by far, that I can find is $1000 used, or over 2G's 2011 Jarrett Forza Mateoburst > Guitars : Electric Solid Body - The Guitar Hangar | Gbase.com So Forza's may not be the fairest comparison. And I much prefer the looks of a Epi Genesis Custom Black Beauty over the Forza.
    That said, I submit my own Santana SE as an example of a new high quality guitar that can be had @ $500 and may be a much better guitar, and there are others no doubt. You've got tons of experience with Geni's, so I really can't debate until I get mine, but if they generate favorable vintage LP-like tones, as often touted, then anything under a grand stands as a great deal.

13. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

I do not believe in putting a "value" to these kind of guitars, I do not think that can be compared with present-day instruments.
    Perhaps one of the added values ​​of a Genesis is the age of the woods, over the 30 years old.
    compare it with a new guitar does not seem right to me.

Very recently saw a 1977 Hamer Sunburst (4 digit serial) beautifull!
    for just U$ 1600, for that money you can buy a GLP Traditional for example
    In my opinion the 77 Hamer is a better guitar, especially for the woods & the excelent craftmanship
    used in his construction.

The value of an instrument is determined by supply and demand.
    is an agreement between seller and buyer
    and depends only of the 2 person involved, not others.

For me the Genesis are extremely undervalued guitars (in economic terms) for the simple fact that they are virtually unknown, I think over time if they are most recognized by the public, will be more expensive even.
    This black Deluxe is virtually new from 1979/1980,
    I think that makes it more valuable still.
    I do not think the seller is a liar, but it seems to me the seller can not differentiate really well a Custom from a Deluxe, I do not think that trying to fool anyone with "made ​​in japan" because is clearly in the written notice he says Made in Japan? clarifying that he really dont knows the origin of the guitar.

For me, the "value" of an intrument with this age are something very subjetive,
    and the vintage Genesis series I'm sure they're undervalued.

is my humble opinion.

14. ekb1234

ekb1234 Member

$850?!?!? I could have gotten the custom version of this (block inlays, etc.) at the local Guitar Center for $300 with a case. I didn't like the weight and the neck, but I thought it looked cool

15. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

300... EKB please give me a link!!! i have place for another one...

check this band!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-stG2feQQc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdZ0JAZ2Og&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6pXeul3tvw&feature=relmfu[/ame]

16. Brians Evil Twin

17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

18. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Never owned one, but I was lusting after one of the originals for some time...they are hard to find.
    People who own them really love them a lot. GREAT quality, although there were several different versions...all were really good guitars, some were beyond good. They were not expensive when new, but I think they have really increased over the years. Glad they are making them again...I bet they will sell out fast.

mark

19. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

a cant believe that is truth...
    [​IMG]

20. mmd

mmd Senior Member

so, what's the big deal about these? it looks like a weird double cut LP. is there anything about it that is evolutionary, unique, or revolutionary from the standard LP formula? not trying to be a jerk, but i am just curious...