Epiphone Genesis: Pictures/Thoughts Please.

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by TheJrAce, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

Did you even read my post directly above which addresses your topic?

2. pedersenkirk

pedersenkirk Senior Member

As a matter of fact, I did. All that link took me to was the front page of ebay.

3. 5-0 phonebooth

Thanx for that, I hate when ebay takes links down so early. I should have dbl. checked prior to posting my reply, my bad.

If the one you're looking at entices you, I'd say grab it for that fair price, quick. Which style is it, bound/un headstock, color? How did you find it?

4. pedersenkirk

Actually found it at a shop from gbase. It's black - not my favourite colour - and no binding on the fretboard. I may have to keep searching.

5. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

No binding on the fretboard would make it a Standard (entry level) and they go for about $300, maybe a little more in 100% unmolested condition and with an original factory case.

5-0 Got the black Custom that the guy at the Epi forum was trying to sell: Epiphone Gibson GENESIS Custom Vintage Solidbody Electric Guitar 1980 | eBay

Another sunburst Custom in damn fine condition sold yesterday for $690:Vintage 1980 EPIPHONE GENESIS CUSTOM ELECTRIC GUITAR | eBay

There's also a Deluxe project for bid with no minimum: Early 1980s Epiphone / Fujigen Genesis Deluxe project - black, bold & beautiful | eBay

I personally would not risk that last one, it has the ubiquitous cracked jack area, and it's impossible to tell from the pics whether the neck is cracked at the body, another common mishap with these long neck critters. Oh and that bit about is being a Fujigen guitar is a total fabrication. All of the production units were made in Taiwan at the Pearl drum factory. There were only a handful of MIJ Genesis (by Aria) as design samples, but the deal didn't go through due to the USD/Yen exchange rate in the late 70's. And those guitars were not comparable to the production units - they were lighter, thinner and had covered pickups.

6. pedersenkirk

Yeah, ideally I'd be looking for a Custom. I guess the search will continue.

7. 5-0 phonebooth

I saw that one, I needed the full binding.
    What style/finish do you prefer? Even tho I have what I wanted, I'm always looking. These guys have had a few over the years and a black Deluxe right now for $450. All GearGear Page {0} | Gbase.com > Guitars Amps & More

8. Brians Evil Twin

I only see a black Standard on the Action Music site. That one looks to be in very good condition, the Standards are typically abused pretty bad.

9. pedersenkirk

Yeah that was the one I was looking at, the black Standard.. a bit low-end.

10. 5-0 phonebooth

You know these way better than me, Standard it is.
    So..., what besides cosmetics, would lend a Standard in decent condition to be legitimately considered low end vs the Deluxe and Custom?
    BTW, I contacted Richy just after he'd placed it on ebay and was willing to entertain my $450 offer should it not sell, so not knowing the reserve I could have gambled and easily lost. Getting it at $50 more is quite satisfactory.

11. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

congrats!!!! You are lucky man! In my country an Epiphone Genesis cost u$1000/1500 in 2011 i see one 1850´ simply perfect. 1979 japan made like mine. Covered pickups... Tobacco sunburst´. I offered 1200´. No deal´ one week later... he sold to other guy.
    Fkg sht! Next time...
    Congrats again! Post some pics!

12. Brians Evil Twin

The original spec sheet from the late 70's:

[​IMG]

I believe these are the original samples sent from Shiro Arai at Aria to Jim Walker at Epiphone. Note the 2-screw covered pickups that never made it to the Taiwanese production units, and the missing headstock binding on the Deluxe. Also the tulip tuners on the Standard, "E" truss rod cover and witch hat knobs not found on the production units.

[​IMG]

13. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

That is i say you 3 year ago...

And the top hut knobs.

14. Brians Evil Twin

Fabi, ¿tiene usted una de las tres guitarras que se muestran arriba?

He tenido una larga conversación con Jim Walker, y estos fueron los únicos hechos en Japón.

15. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

The reality is nobody know how much units was made in japan´ i only see 7 other like mine around the world... the units of the catalogs pics are not the only 3.

16. Brians Evil Twin

Jim Walker knows and he designed and built the prototypes as well as having Shiro Arai at Aria build a few samples. And Jim was responsible for marketing them before Gibson was sold to Henry J.

My interview with him will be published in a few months, I'll make sure to post it here at press time.

17. 5-0 phonebooth

Thanx, Fabi, I knew I could count on you for a high five. You get 2 beers. I'll try and get some pix up asap.
    I'll play the shit out of her to make sure she deserves about 1G worth of face work and a boob job.
    I have high hopes for this one, and I've rarely been even 1/2 wrong on any of my many net purchases.

Brian, I figured bling was the only dif in the models, thanx for repeating the specs.

18. fabistn

fabistn Senior Member

Jim really dont know how much units was built in Japan´ by shiro arai. Jim only see the units that shiro send to him.

19. Brians Evil Twin

So you're saying you believe that Aria made a bunch of extra Genesis and sold them with Epiphone on the headstock without Gibson's authorization?

Sounds a little far-fetched to me, but I'll ask Jim about it.

Also, where are all these secret Genesis and how come I've never seen any for sale?

20. 5-0 phonebooth

Maybe there weren't "a bunch", but a few more than were handed out?
    If so, there are probably some survivors, but unearthing them will not be easy, and probably pointless beyond this discussion.
    We have the Taiwan vintages, and now the reissues to enjoy. I hope the reissues expand to a high end black beauty Custom issue, but that PU switch's location will bugger it for me. It will eventually be moved on my '80 so I can fit a Bigsby.