Epiphone G1275 is back

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Comanche, Jun 4, 2014.

1. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

Yet, they most likely sold every last one of them.

I like this quote. A little unbiased truth about the construction...

1 person likes this.
  2. Rozman62

Rozman62 Member

Bought this mint condition '96 six months ago. Guy played it a dozen times and left it under his bed in the original box. Still had original strings on it and they had some life left. Film was still left on the back plate as well. Not a mark on the thing. The SN supports this being the 18th guitar off the line. Pickups were horrible so I put Tim Shaws on the 12 side and pulled the covers (just to be different) and 490/498 on the 6 side with a mag swap. I searched hard for an original Epi case but gave up as they had discontinued them in 2011. Found a knockoff on E bay, not the best but will do for now. Amazing guitar.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Got to play one of the new ones on my lunch hour today. I can say pretty much without a doubt that they are still using the plywood construction because there were know joint marks on the side of the body, and the fact that it only weighed about 10 or 11 lbs. The one difference I did see from the old ones is that the top is no longer flamed, which is a good thing. I really liked the 12 string neck, the six string I wasn't crazy about but new strings and a set up might have helped. The one thing I did notice is that there seemed to be a lot of flex to the necks, meaning that if I put any weight forward or back on the neck, it would bend. But overall it seemed like a pretty nice guitar, just not worth the $1250 it would have cost me to take it home.

4. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Where did you find one. I'm still waiting.

5. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Steve's Music in downtown Toronto.

1 person likes this.
  6. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

My '72 Gibby SG was the same way. Drove me nuts.

7. RTH

Laminated bodies dont necessarily mean a guitar will be lighter or heavier than a solid wood body. It all depends on the density of the wood. My G-310 with a lam body is really light, but my S-500, also with a lam body, is a tank.

8. andreww

andreww Senior Member

True dat, but as I said, there are no joint lines. So either its a one piece solid body or a veneered laminate. My mahogany doubleneck weighs over 13lbs btw which is in line wit what a gibby weighs.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The G1275 is clearly advertised as
    "Select Mahogany"
    The ones of us who can translate the Epi-Language
    know exactly from what it's made....:lol:

10. andreww

andreww Senior Member

The ones that are well versed in bull$hit can anyway ;)

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Next time will be a longer vacation

12. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Fixed for historical accuracy; almost no maple-bodies Fenders ever.

1 person likes this.
  13. RTH

Thanks. I didn't know that. I'm not a Fender guy. I always thought alder was an alternative to maple. But since my Epiphone EBM-5 is alder and my Expert-6 (6-string version of the EBM) was ash, it makes alot of sense.

:thumb:

14. MCAN

MCAN Senior Member

I saw a Zep cover band called CODA a few months back. The "Jimmy" used the double neck for a couple unexpected songs like Traveling Riverside Blues.

15. Lefty Adams

Lefty Adams Senior Member

16. TheNoodler

TheNoodler Senior Member

LOL! Oh man, just the way you phrased that made me laugh so hard I sharted into my pants a little bit. "The Jimmy"! I guess it was a full fleged tribute band given they had thier own Jimmy character.

I like to get one of these double necks just so I can play Jimmy in my spare time. However the plywood aspect has me less than thrilled to go Epi on this one. Plus given the cost I'm sure the pickups and electronics leave much to be desired. Regarding what songs you cover with one of these beasts, I think we can add GnR Knockin on Heavens Door since Slash used one live in the 90s.

17. Royal Crimson

Royal Crimson Senior Member

Have one showing up in 3-5 business days. I'll chime in whether I've received an iconic R&R machine or a chunk of splintered plywood with shorting out wiring. ;-)

(I'm looking forward to having an electric 12-string to play with, and I always play on a stool so I'm not overly concerned with the weight.)

1 person likes this.
  18. TheNoodler

TheNoodler Senior Member

Man I gassing hard for one of these new limited edition G1275s. Now that they got the color right with the deep burgundy instead of bright red. The problem is I just bought another gibson LP Classic a month ago, and I didnt even have room for that one. Damn you Epiphone, why do you do this to me!!!! There's no relief for my gas in sight!

19. Royal Crimson

Royal Crimson Senior Member

Jumping up and down with anticipation. Got a UPS tracking update that it's scheduled for a day early delivery on Wednesday. Bummer the case is BO til December, but oh well. I got a couple wall hooks so it can live happily there ( when I'm not breaking it in and working on Stairway to Heaven. :)

#stokedwithantipation

20. TheNoodler

TheNoodler Senior Member

GAS got the better of me!!!
    I have one on it's way from GC, I went with a used one ( at a significant discount). I was also able to snag a case for it from Sam Ash. If you don't want to wait till December for your case, check with Sam Ash because they had them in stock.

1 person likes this.