Epiphone G1275 is back

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Comanche, Jun 4, 2014.

1. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

2. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

Maybe so, but at least some of those layers are, in fact, Lauan or what ever equivalent they use for laminated bodies. This might be a mahogany/maple or mahogany/alder body. Epiphone sometimes combines different body woods for laminating...or at least used to. I think they've tightened up the specs for that sort of thing these days.

So this pic really proves nothing other than a G-1275 being laminated or "plywood". Hell, I dont even know if that actually is a G-1275. Unfinished maple necks? Hmmm....:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  3. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

It's easy to post pics and make claims when no source of the images is included. Now if someone wants to really make an issue of it, they can go ahead and buy one, have it dissected and get a wood expert to make a notarized statement that the wood being used is not any sort of wood that can be considered as mahogany, and sue Gibson/Epiphone in court for false advertising.

If that sounds like a bit too much effort and you don't want to take the risk of being wrong and losing your shirt in court, then just let the people who want to buy this guitar go ahead and buy it and be happy with it. If they are not happy with it, they can return it.

4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The pic is from an old thread here at MLP
    I'm not sure if the thread got nuked or closed, cause someone praised a fake doubleneck in this thread....
    and I'm too lazy to search for it :D

5. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

Those plywood pics are confusing. I had to take to the cavities in my 2005 epi double neck with a chisel to get the right angle switchcraft toggles to sit nicely. All I got out of it was chips of solid mahogany and I went down about 8-10mm. More than enough so that I should have gone through a couple layers if they were there.

Just about to head to work but ill open her up and take some pictures tonight for you guys.

3 people like this.
  6. RTH

We would love to see them! :thumb:

They are listed as alder from 1996-2004 or 2005. In 2006 they are listed as mahogany. Then in 2011 they are listed as laminated mahogany. Would love to know the year of your guitar and get some verification on the solid 1275 models.

7. Samantha

Samantha MLP Cub Reporter V.I.P. Member

here you guys are.

take what you want from these pictures, sorry for the quality, just got off a 10 hour shift so phone picture quality is all I can muster at the moment. And yes that's painters tape, I had nothing else on hand at the time.

the wood is showing up quite white in the photos thanks to the flash of the phone, it's a fair bit darker in person, might not be mahogany but it's seems too dark to be alder.

made in Unsung Koria,2005, November
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. andreww

andreww Senior Member

Nice, that is how you would expect them to be made. And I bet the body isn't warping is it? Looks like you got a really nice one. How many pieces is the body bade from?

9. RTH

I can tell by the grain on the body that the wood is alder. You cant always go by color alone. If it was lauan or another mahogany substitute, the wood would have came out in big splinters when you chisled it out.

By the next model year Epiphone had switched woods on these to mahogany (lauan) and is probably when they went to laminated bodies as well.

From 1999 onward, Epiphone was phasing out all of their alder guitar bodies. I dont know if it became too cost prohibitive or what, but I do know that Squier and low-end Fender guitars have mostly gone from alder to woods like basswood and poplar. This, after switching to alder as a cheaper alternative to maple.

I'm guessing that while Epiphone didnt have any issues with warping when using alder, they must have had problems with the mahogany substitute they were trying to use for the 1275's. But whether or not alder was becoming too expensive for a budget guitar, I'm sure that Epiphone most likely wanted to start using a mahogany-like wood for the 1275 to keep in tradition with other SG guitars and the majority of the other lines.

Epiphone cant really win either way on this. On one hand you are going to get people complaining that it is a laminated body, and if they were to switch to something like basswood or poplar, people will complain about that too. I like alder, but for whatever reason, Epiphone is done with it as a solid body tone wood.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

For those who don't know. Multiple pieces of wood glued together are more stable than one piece. Actually the more the better. Yes I am also a woodworker.:naughty:

2 people like this.
  11. RTH

This is true, but we are comparing multi-piece bodies to laminated bodies, which are all technically multiple pieces of wood glued together.

In this case, Epiphone claims that the laminated bodies are stronger and less prone top warping than the multi-piece bodies of the same wood type. With the "the more the better" idea, this would certainly apply to the laminated bodies over the multi piece bodies.

A few years ago, Gibson made an SG with a multi-colored laminated body and (mostly) no one complained about that. I guess the difference is that Gibson dyed each slab a different color and left it unfinished for god and the whole world to see instead of putting it under paint.

Gibson Zoot Suit SG
    [​IMG]

12. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

Oh but those Zoots are IMHO the fuggliest guitars I have ever seen... What were they thinking...:wow::laugh2: They stepped outside the box on those things.

13. matiac

matiac Senior Member

A Doubleneck guitar today would pretty much only be used for maybe 5 major cover songs (Hotel California, Stairway To Heaven, Rain Song, Song Remains The Same, Lucky Man) if you were in a gigging Classic Rock Band. Notice all the Led Zeppelin tunes you'd need the Double for, if anything else, aesthetic value for the given song? Identify it immediately with Jimmy Page or Don Felder (?)...

14. matiac

matiac Senior Member

I look at it as a spin on the "Fool SG"...I kinda like them...

15. RTH

I have no opinoin on them, Mat. I'm just saynig that Gibson released a laminatd body as a custom guitar and that was A-ok.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

You forgot Xanadu.:naughty: The only band I know of that went double double necks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEuOoMprDqg#t=80

2 people like this.
  17. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Amateurs, all of them. :D

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. RTH

I would KILL for Geddy's doubleneck guitar/bass Rickenbacker! I've actually had use for such a set-up in the past...just not the cheddar to purchase one.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

That would be Killer to have. Maybe we will see that and Alex double neck on the next tour. R41 or R42 not sure what they'll name it. Would love to see Xanadu live one last time.:applause:

1 person likes this.
  20. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Senior Member

Really? I don't recall it being a-ok. I remember quite a bit of complaining, jokes, uncertainty and...an occasional "I like it". For example, from a quick search here on this forum regarding the Zoot Suit SG, these are from the first few oldest threads when it was first announced:

"I've heard they're supposed to have a 27 piece body, but the one I've looked at appears to be a 32 piece. Will this affect the tone?"
    "reminds me of a skateboard...but those are usually 6 ply.."
    "why would anyone want a plywood guitar?"
    "Wow, that is bad. Looks like the fretboard should be plastic.."
    "They need to make all the hardware out of thin pieces of metal glued together too...."
    "Looks cool but heavy and probably sounds pretty ass-tastic."
    "...they are HEAVY!"
    "...it's interesting, to be polite."
    "Heavy? I thought they were made of balsa wood or something?"
    "Oh, and Gibson needs to stop pumping out these fugly LE guitars"
    "I can't get past the looks."
    "...it looks just too flashy, to the point that it makes me throw up."
    "When I recieved that mail with this guitar's info from gibson I thought WTF are this guys thinking? Maybe they let Zakk f-uck up the SG line as well BUT, after taking a look at the finish in the picture I almost got sick..."
    "I'm not sure what to say..."
    "Awesome, thread number 20 on this guitar!"
    "I don't think many of them call the guitar by its name, most of them are like "wtf is this?!?!""
    "i'll say it,it's freakin boggin(Scottish for wow thats ugly)"
    "What. The. Heck. Gibson should be working on stepping up their bogus quality control instead of releasing crappy rehashes and redesigns of LP's and SG's."
    "You can go ahead of me."
    "Don't we already have about 5 threads on this?"
    "Not me."
    "Would be suitable on a Pride festival stage, or in the girlie section of a toy store...?!"
    "Oh my f-_c-_-g god!"
    "2 grand is a bit steep for a plywood guitar."
    "I'd be afraid to show that guitar to anyone."
    "Is this the Esteban Sig? It was designed to celebrate hot South American colors. The same designers in Medellin, Colombia had a show last week. The theme was "Cocaine and LSD.""
    "We need a VOMITING Emoticon for this one !"
    "What the hell is this?"
    "Yep, it's plywood. This is the third thread on it today."
    "PLYWOOD!! YUCK!!"
    "this may be the worst thing gibson have done in my guitar playing lifetime..."
    "I can't believe a plywood guitar retails for 2k"
    "Reminds me of a skateboard deck. But those are only 7 layers of plywood!"
    "Skateboards are plywood, the SG pictured above is plywood... Squier Bullets are plywood... If you're trying to sell guitars, though, you call it "laminate"."
    "I smell the new Norlins era for Gibson.."
    "it's not plywood or OSB...it's laminated birch strips...and it's probably incredibly stable..."
    "The cycle has begun ... But at least in the Norlin Era they didn't **** up as much as nowadays"
    "............the guitars are shit by the way."
    "Someone has to make the ultimate sacrifice and go and actually play one. Were visually repulsed by the sight of it, and rightfully so. It looks like someones nightmare."
    "I say we let the Jonas Bros play em and see what unfolds."

I don't have a dog in the fight, as I don't own nor do I want either fiddle, but the Zoot Suit was not well received...it was mixed at best.