Epiphone Flying V Custom Limited by Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by bpet2015, Jul 25, 2017.

1. bpet2015

bpet2015 Junior Member

Any insight is appreciated. I've been researching several V guitars and recently found a bolt-on model offered by Sweetwater. It is a few dollars less than the Korina model offers on other sites. They both have interesting features. Would the bolt-on be a concern in a V style guitar? Lastly, I've read the Epiphones are larger and have better weight to them than current Gibson models? Look forward to any experience.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EGV1AINH

2. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

These are also available via Canadian dealer Long & McQuade. I've played several at their local shop.

Construction/fit and finish is top notch. All the ones I've seen have been made in Indonesia, and they've been no exception to the rule of exceptional quality I've seen in Epi builds originating from that country.
    The fret work has been excellent as well, fretboards haven't left the fingers blackened after a few moments as with many Epis from new. Nice grain to the rosewood. The neck joint is just as stable as I could ask for, I have no concerns there. The weight has been mid range for a V. Pick up a Korina model and you'll hardly know there's something in your hand, but grab one of these and you're more in the range of a lighter LP. Different woods, densities, etc. and in my opinion a slightly different sound. The Ceramic pickups on these may be the difference I'm hearing though, as it's definitely a higher output, rock and roll beast.

If you like the specs, I don't think you'll be disappointed. At the end of the day though (and I know it isn't really a possibility in this case) you can't know for sure until you hold one.

northernguitarguy and paruwi like this.
  3. bpet2015

bpet2015 Junior Member

Thank you. It looks like they provide a 30 day return policy. I guess this would allow time to try it out and make sure it doesn't have any issues.

LSAR likes this.