Epiphone Dot Deluxe grounding issue

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by musicmand, Oct 27, 2017.

1. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

So I guess when the previous owner's guitar shop installed a Bigsby, they either didn't ground it or the grounding wire has come loose. Not a problem if I'm just strumming big chords, but any time I palm mute (I rest a pinky on the high E string and the bridge pickup) it pops each time my pinky taps the pickup. I palm mute A LOT - it's my funk side.

So... is there an easy way to ground it without yanking every single thing out of the guitar? Maybe an external wire pulled tight along the bottom of the guitar from the bottom of the Bigsby to the output jack? I like the guitar, but this is REALLY annoying and I don't want to mess with fixing anything through the F hole...

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

What model Bigsby and how was it mounted?

3. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

I don't know my Bigsbys, and I'm just going off of the account of the previous owner... but here's a picture.

IMG_20170926_160207184.jpg

4. chasenblues

I would assume that the original ground wire is under one the stop tailpiece studs that are now not being used. I would guess the low one because its closer to the rest of the electronics.

Similar to this,

dsc_0834_008-anno.jpg

Since the bushing is still in the hole, do you have any studs in a parts box anywhere? Or even a bolt/screw that would thread into the bushing?

It wouldn't necessarily look to hot but you could take a piece of wire and put it into the bushing,thread a stud or bolt into it to make the contact/keep it in place, Then run it to the bridge and connect it to there in some fashion.(May want to test it first to see it eliminates the pops)Or you could even run it back towards the bigbsy unscrew that first screw put the wire under there then screw it back down tight.

Captureqwasd.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  5. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

That's one of the options I was leaning toward. I happen to have all of the old hardware in the case, so I can give it a shot. If this were a Fender, I'd just grab a drill, pop open the back, and get to work. Here it requires a bit more finesse. Many, many years ago, my then local guitar tech was explaining that he hated doing work on hollowbodies so much that he'd tack an additional hundred bucks onto any hollowbody repair/upgrade just for the annoyance. That would usually send hollowbody owners to the "other guy" in town. This guy was the best in town, rather eccentric, still a nice guy; he just hated working through those F holes...

6. chasenblues

If your not tied to the Bigbsy you could always put a stop TP back on.

7. Kurt

Kurt Member

Exactly what Chasenblues has said.

I did this on my Dot after I added a Bigsby B3. No need to work through F holes etc. Simply pull out the stop tail bushes and you'll the ground wire in one of them. You'll have to do this for the bridge stop tail bushes also. There's enough room on top to drill a small hole from the existing grounded hole to where the wire will now go (the bridge). Refit your bridge bushes once you've fed the wire in (which is long enough so no need to extend it) and you're good to go.

[​IMG]

I covered mine with a Custom Made plate I got for £20 (I got the plate copied in to Gold for a different guitar and that was only £10!)

8. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Which direction did you drill? I'd assume from the bridge bushing hole into the tailpiece bushing hole? I'm always exceptionally nervous about putting power tools to guitars (I'm not experienced enough with drills to be super comfortable). I'm guessing you don't have any pictures of the operation...

9. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Thought about this, but I do dig the Bigsby, plus the mounting holes are there already...

10. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Okay, so for proof of concept, I wrapped some copper wire around the treble side bridge post and ran it to the tailpiece bushings. I screwed one of the tailpiece posts down on top of the wire and powered up my amp - buzz was totally gone!

On the negative side (depending on your perspective), the pickups are now a little more bright and full sounding. I haven't done an A/B test, but I sort of liked the darker, lower output tone of the guitar before as it contrasted really well with my brighter, higher output Gibson LP (same pickups, but uncovered on the LP). I'm a little worried that there will be too much overlap now. We'll see.

Needless to say, though, the guitar sounds a TON better and more consistent now. Now that I know for sure that was the issue, I can figure out how to solve it permanently.

11. Kurt

Kurt Member

Sorry for the late-ish reply because you've sorted it, but because you asked:- I actually drilled 2 holes at an angle. 1 from the stop tail hole and one from the bridge hole, and they met in the middle because I couldn't get the drill horizontal enough. But hey it worked.

Glad you sorted yours out.

12. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

No worries. I will definitely need to fix this more permanently at some point. I just didn't want to go to the work if it wasn't the source of the problem.

13. Kurt

Kurt Member

What is a more permanent solution if you don't mind me asking? Mine is sweet as a nut and I can't think of a better and easier place to ground it (unless you ground to the Bigsby but seems a bit more effort?)

14. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

More permanent than the wire on the outside that I have right now. Drilling the hole and grounding it that way would be the "permanent" solution. I just wanted to make sure the ground was the issue and that I could solve it in this way before even thinking about drilling it out.

15. Kurt

Kurt Member

To be honest the wood in the Dot is so soft you probably wouldn't have to drill it. You could use a screw driver to make a hole between the bridge and the stop tail piece holes. Even if you decide afterwards that it isn't for you, the bushes would cover the hole you made anyway and you would never see it. Anyone looking at the guitar would be none the wiser.