Epiphone differences vs Gibson.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Donnie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Malikon

Malikon ゴジラの復活 V.I.P. Member

No matter what just don't ship your guitar to Gibson for work.

You may or may not get it back. (no BS, I've heard enough horror stories to know to stay out of the creepy old house at the bottom of the hill.)

Get it fixed local, or fix it yourself.

my 2 cents.

2 people like this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

That isn't the only thing you can be wrong about.

You still haven't demonstrated an ability to discern any differences.

I got three out of five right on KP's test. I'm one of those guys who doesn't think woods matter that much, because I don't hear much of a difference. I do hear a little, but surely someone who claims to be able to tell the difference clearly ought to be able to better my score.

What's the worst that can happen? You get some wrong and ... then what?

Trust me, everyone here has flopped on one or another of these sorts of tests. That is exactly why you're paddling upstream with your claim ... we already know how deeply psychological sound perception is.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Senior Member

In news no one but me cares about, I found the guitar Thump's image sample was from.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Is it just me, or are there a lot more rimbursts running around lately?

1 person likes this.
  5. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

That's a picture: guitars with little legs scampering all over. LOL. Look out! There's one in the corner!

6. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Malikon, thanks for the heads-up about Gibson. I'd heard that about them, but had forgotten it. I know a real good repair guy. He can make me one if necessary. Hey, I hear your a hot player! I am a 35-year bar hack. But I've played with a few of the best over the years. There are levels of knowlege and talent. Some of us soar effortlessly, some of us flap along as best we can. But its all good. :naughty:

7. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

From what I've read, and from looking at my guitars, Elitists have real pearl inlays, not plastic like most guitars these days. So you might want to take the time to find a decent tech or a real luthier who can either find or make you one.

From an eyeball comparison and a quick measurement, the inlays on my Elitists seem to be the same size as on my other Epis so you could always try to find a set on eBay or at a local authorized Epi dealer or contact Customer Support.

1 person likes this.
  8. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

For the inlay that's lost, buy the replacement. Then with light paper over the fretboard, rub a pencil to get a tracing. That's your pattern. Don't trim the pattern, leave it on the paper whole. Overlay the paper onto your new inlay and match it up as closely as possible. With a different colored pencil retrace the pattern with the inlay underneath. The line differences will be slight but will tell you where you need to trim the new inlay. Sand the inlay to fit the pattern but do not try to hand hold the inlay and sand, have the edge you're working on over a table edge or similar and allow as much of that fragile, thin inlay to be supported as you can. It's a shame to crack an inlay when you've completed 90% of the fitting - ask me how I know. Fit the inlay, use less cyanoacrylate than you think you need (it's always enough that way) place the inlay and clamp it ( I have radiused wood sections to do this with ) and allow to dry very well. Overnight is great. No need to rush it. I take my same radiused wood blocking clamps and lightly sand the inlay flat. Don't use a big sweeping overlap or bear down - slow gets it done, and doesn't sand away at the binding edge. If you've put the right amount of cyanoacrylate glue on, any very slight gaps will have been filled in nicely. Be cautious about getting any cyanoacrylate on your fingers around a poly finished guitar unless you want to learn poly refinishing too.

2 people like this.
  9. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Thanks a bunch, Harpman. I will follow your instructions to the letter. I noticed these inlays are real MOP, backed in thin plastic. Maybe they won't crack as easily as one of yours obviously did. Gibson said they would send me one . Maybe I better call them back and ask for two!

10. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Wounded Lester.

3 people like this.
  11. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

They're ridiculously thin and the plastic backing is only because the MOP is extremely thin. Order two if you can afford it, but do follow the instructions.

1 person likes this.
  12. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

I'll order two. If I can get ahold of Gibson again. You bet your bippy I'll follow your instructions. I've screwed together about ten guitars--just enough to know i don't know anything about em. Good advice is priceless.

1 person likes this.
  13. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

One thing I didn't mention..sand to fit going with the direction of the edge when you have that edge over the table edge. In other words, not up and down perpendicular or it's a certain break. Did I mention that stuff is thin??

1 person likes this.
  14. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Got it--nothing is too obvious when dealing with a nitwit.

15. jamdogg

jamdogg Senior Member

nice little rig.

16. deMelo

deMelo Banned

uh... I picked up my Epi LP standard over another Epi LP Standard, a Gibby LP Studio and 3 MiM Fenders. I liked its sound better.

Am I crazy?

17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Yes - necropost much.........:dude::lol::dude::lol::dude:

18. deMelo

deMelo Banned

lol I do. I guess I'm what you'd call a gravedigger.

But that is because I don't like opening new threads to discuss something that has been already on the table here, it floods the board.

So I usually use the search and read what's been written already. If I still have something to say, I post it there :dude:

19. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

this had been discussed to death............
    edit

just not yet from everybody

20. deMelo

deMelo Banned

That's EXACTLY why I didn't start a new thread about it. :D