Epiphone differences vs Gibson.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Donnie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. KP

KP Senior Member

The only thing that is tough to stomach is your nonsensical belief that you have a one piece body Epi.

1 person likes this.
  2. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Thanks, Thump! I like her. The front looks as nice as the back. I only wish my playing was good enough to do her justice. But give me a couple more years... :D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. the332i

the332i Member

Ok, upon further inspection all night, it seems it may be a two piece. It is too hard to tell without sawing it apart. I will lean towards it being a two piece.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

2 people like this.
  4. the332i

the332i Member

I'll upload a pic later.

1 person likes this.
  5. KP

KP Senior Member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

Where DID I put that recipe for crow?

7. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

or just check the ass end of it like Thump said.

1 person likes this.
  8. the332i

the332i Member

It's all good. I have no ego and I'm not back pedaling, son. If I am wrong, I am wrong. I have no problem admitting that if it's the case.

1 person likes this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

lol @ you calling KP "son".

3 people like this.
  10. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

Hey, Barcham, Malikon, Thump, SOMEBODY! I need help. More of my neck inlays have fallen out, and I've completely lost one. Doe Gibson Customer support have access to EPI Elitist-size inlays? I'm going to have to find one somewhere....

11. KP

KP Senior Member

You can take your son and shove it up your ass. I have socks older than you, maybe older than your daddy. Shouldn't you be in bed by now? You were wrong from the moment you entered this thread. I believe HC would be a much better fit for a troll like you. Run along now.

7 people like this.
  12. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

Im sure some of those guys should have saved them some money as well !:naughty:

13. Malikon

I'm sorry that happened mate but I'm the wrong guy to ask. I just play 'em.

Were it my guitar I'd probably just crazy glue down the ones that fell out.

The one that's missing I'd most likely, "keep meaning to get around to fixing that." for quite awhile and would still just keep playing it.

...:hmm: actually empty inlay holes might look kind of cool, and wouldn't effect the sound really. :hmm:

Worse case scenario I'd probably buy some look alike MOP stuff and just make a new inlay. Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to carve one out if you were careful and took your time. I think I've seen that pearloid type stuff at home depot.

Or,....you could use the opportunity to replace all your inlays with really nice ones. (if that's something you're interested in.)

I know I've seen somewhere,...probably here at MLP, where you can buy all 9 inlays for an LP standard type guitar.

I had a feeling there was going to be a response from you over that term. :laugh2:

14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I didn't know they were a different size. I'd look at Stew-Mac for Epi inlays, and order a full set. If there's not an exact fit in there, grab one that's larger and trim it to size.

To glue the others in, a little cyanoacrylate glue will work. Make sure you are able to get the corners glued down.

For the ones which haven't come out yet, but are lifting at the corners, put a little CA glue on the corner of a razor blade, use another razor blade to lift the inlay corner, and then slide the first razor underneath the inlay so that the glue gets on the underside of the inlay. Press and hold. A clamp will be easy to fashion, if you don't have one handy -- use a capo with a thin piece of wood under it, if nothing else.

15. Malikon

While looking for inlays for BN I found an interesting article...

Gibson Vs. Epiphone

I liked the sentence, "Try playing the instruments without looking at the headstock and let the sound and playability guide your purchasing decision."

sound advice, often touted around here, but you know,...this is in PremierGuitar,...it's bonafide!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. River

River Senior Member

The work that went into matching those two pieces is WAY more impressive than a big old block of wood.

4 people like this.
  17. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

:)Thanks, guys. Actually, Malikon, the hole makes the guitar unplayable. That's how I noticed the damn thing was missing--it pinches when you bend the G or B strings. Stew-Mac sells sets, and you gotta trim em to fit. I was hoping you could buy Elitist parts somewhere, as, evidently, did Malikon. Sorry I interrupted your argument. I'll let you get back to it. Oh, Thump, by the way--if you're using fairly thin superglue, not the gel, it'll wick underneath areas like you were talking about with a minimum of coaxing. Thanks a lot, you guys--you're good brothers!

1 person likes this.
  18. Malikon

trimming to fit is not a big deal. Just use a razor and be careful.

If you look closely Epi and Gibson inlays are different. I'm not sure what Elitist inlays are like,...I would think more like Gibson. (rounded edges)

Epi inlays are pointy. :dude:

if it's really a problem and you're nervous about doing the work yourself maybe buy the parts you like and take it to a local luthier/repair shop (if you have one around.)

2 people like this.
  19. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

In my pissed-offedness, I forgot-I found a listing for what appears to be a very nice LQ Custom on ebay for $600. I wish I'd seen it before I bought mine. It's in the ebay site on this forum, if anybody's interested. Looks real nice.i

20. Brazilnut

Brazilnut Senior Member

:)Thanks, Malikon. The Elitist edges are pointy too. On top of that, the Gibson-style set StewMac offers is too thick to fit the shallow holes in the Elitist. Nothing's ever easy with guitars. If it was, we wouldn't get payed to do it, right? I gotta call Gibson customer support and see what's what, I guess.