Epiphone differences vs Gibson.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Donnie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

original post response by Shifty:
    They have hard maple necks, not ebony and nowhere in that text is the word premium mentioned regarding the neck wood.

Let me elaborate on what I said earlier.

Woods:
    Epiphones are made out of Asian mahogany, alder and maple. Those woods are cheap and readily available.
    Gibsons are made of Honduran mahogany and maple (IIRC mostly American species, sometimes eastern maple).
    Those woods are more expensive, not as readily available as the Asian woods and more resonant (better tonewoods).

Construction:
    Gibsons mostly have 1-piece, sometimes 2-piece backs. The tops are made out of 2 pieces of matched maple.
    They have to be more selective when buying their woods, which adds to the cost.
    Epiphone just buys wood in bulks and slaps multiple pieces together to make the body and top.
    They don't have to care about looks as the guitars are going to be wrapped in veneers, anyway. This keeps the costs down.

The necks on Gibsons are one piece necks, whereas the Epiphones have 3-piece necks (2-piece on some models, e.g the Slash signatures). This also means that Gibson has to select their neck woods more carefully, which again adds to the costs.

Not to mention the fact that Epiphone doesn't always stick to their specs and uses whatever wood they have lying around.

The differences between the poly and nitro finish are obvious and I won't go into detail about hardware and electronics as these things can be changed easily.
    What can't be changed are the woods a guitar is made of and the construction methods used to make the guitar and that's where there's still a remarkable gap between Gibson and Epiphone.

It's good to see that Epiphone steps up their game, but as we can see, the models where they do it are also far more expensive than your "run of the mill" Epiphone.

end quote.

Other than the ebony fretboard which I know epiphone does have, can anyone provide documentation of this ? Other than repeating what others have said.

2. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

You won't find a one piece body on any Gibson short of a Historic or Custom Shop and even then it is not a guarantee. Most Gibsons are either two or three piece bodies and Studio models can be more.

There are about 100 threads on this subject already.

7 people like this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Most of us Epiphans don't worry that much about the differences....

Some of us even know the differences and still don't care much

[​IMG]

Let the Games begin......:wave:

12 people like this.
  4. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

direct me please , and I would be thankful . :thumb: to new to figure out the correct search words I guess.
    something with actual facts , not hearsay .cause that's all I can find!

5. Barcham

Here's a 4 part series where you might learn a few things...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkyXEmmFT2U]How it´s Made Gibson - Some assembly requiered PART 1 - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  6. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Senior Member

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. River

River Senior Member

I've got no new, verified info for you, Donnie, but what does it matter? You can't tell of how many pieces of what my '57 Junior Reissue is made unless you rip it apart. You sure can't tell by looking at or listening to it. You can't even tell it's not a Gibson by listening - no way, no how.

10 people like this.
  8. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

funny I watched this before, but now that I know a little more , I am seeing things I missed. I am glad you suggested this. Im only through part of part one and answered one of questions!

9. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

Ahhh you have info that finally puts it to rest then ?

you have proof that these are better tone woods?
    definitive proof ? no? far from dead then my friend , lol. It just means you don't have proof of the acclaimed.

10. GRASS

GRASS Senior Member

I played a Epi LP and thought ooh that sounds good and then I played a Gibson LP and that sounded even better but not a £1000 difference :)

11. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

Things that make you go hmmmmmmn.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-sf8oGkto"]TEUFFEL Guitars 1 - The BIRDFISH - EVOLUTION of electric guitar - YouTube[/ame]

I should have posted this first then you would have known my reasoning.

12. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

This guy believes that tone woods matter. even if it did would your body act as a damper soaking up vibrations ? your hand and arm holding the neck, body of the guitar against the body? just trying to use some scientific method here.lol.

13. Barcham

When it comes to the sound, the type and quality of wood has a much greater effect on an acoustic guitar than it does on an electric. There are so many things in the signal chain with an electric, that the wood a guitar is made of has a much less significant part in the overall tone. When it comes to the perceived difference between Gibsons and Epis, I believe a lot of that is based on totally personal criteria and if you were to strip an Epi and finish it in nitro, or finish a Gibson in poly, very few people would be able to tell the difference between them when playing one.

9 people like this.
  14. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Those Teuffel guitars are Mega-sellers.......

5 people like this.
  15. HRC

HRC Senior Member

WRONG

There's a lot of Gibson LP Standards, Traditionals and other Gibson USA models with one piece backs. Not that it matters. :D

1 person likes this.
  16. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

I know they're guys who love vette convertible , and if given the choice between a hundred thousand dollar corvette , would choose a 67 427 vette convertible over a 2013 model . Even though we all know that strictly based upon performance the 2013 would out perform the 67 by a long shot, but If you've ever driven a 67 427 tripower , you cant say it isn't a heck of a car and rare. Some would say well worth the money.

I guess the same goes for a guitar, Just suits the driver!

17. Pete B

Pete B Junior Member

I always like to use Snake oil on my solid bodys, it improves the tonewood :naughty:

4 people like this.
  18. jamdogg

jamdogg Senior Member

of course he's wrong. i have seen a cheapy tribute series Gibbo with a one piece back. :shock:

but to your point, in the big scheme of things it doesnt matter.

1 person likes this.
  19. PRH

PRH Senior Member

:io:No thanks, not today.

6 people like this.
  20. brhokla

brhokla Senior Member

This is so funny as I flyfish and of course own many Flyrods. Some USA built and some China built by USA companies. They do this for one reason. Lower Manufacturing Costs to hit a targeted price range. It doesn't mean not built as good or not comparable. It's what you want, can afford and frankly, if it sounds good, looks good, feels good then what's the difference.

1 person likes this.