Epiphone Custom with Coil Splitting?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by helipilot, Dec 31, 2010.

1. helipilot

helipilot Junior Member

Hi there! I've just joined the fold and bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in Arctic White. Mine has coil tapping but all the other customs in the shop did not. It is a made in Indonesia and dated 06/2010. Looking at the Epiphone website it doesn't show that the Custom has this feature. Are there any others out there or is mine a limited edition?. Cheers.:hmm:

kevinpaul likes this.
  2. Tudorp

Tudorp Senior Member

I know some who custom wired them for coil tapping. So, was yours by chance custom upgraded, or maybe custom ordered. Kinda like a custom ordered automobile, comes from the factory, then upgraded at the dealership per customers specs. Yours may have been dealer customized new for a customer that never picked it up, assmuming you bought it new.

back in the mid 1970s, I bought a custom one off Rickenbacker 4001 like that. It was a custom all blacked out 4001 that was custom ordered from Rickenbacher, and finished the customization at the dealer. It hung on the wall because it was at the dealer for over a year and the original person whom ordered it never picked it up. I swooped in, and bought it off the wall. Wish I still had that Ric now tho, I have seen custom one off 4001's sell for in the 10K$ range...

3. helipilot

helipilot Junior Member

Mine was new from an Epiphone dealer in the UK and it came out of the box yesterday I was told. I asked if it was a limited edition and he said it wasn't. None of the other Customs had the coil tapping.

4. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

That's really odd. The only Epi I have ever heard of having stock coil splits is the Trad Pro. Can you post up some pics so we can see it?

5. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

Sounds odd.

Coil tapping and coil splitting aren't the same thing BTW.

kevinpaul likes this.
  6. helipilot

helipilot Junior Member

[​IMG]
    The new 2010 Tribute was the only other Epiphone with the coil tapping in the shop, though they did have a Traditional Pro in last week which also has this capability.

Here is, hopefully, a picture of her. You can see the marketing card round the volume controls. I played it in the shop and can confirm that it does indeed coil tap... and what is the difference between tapping and splitting then? I'm a newbie to this I'm afraid.

7. Chimera

Chimera Senior Member

Very strange they they call it "coil tapping", on the tributes it just says "push pull series/parallel" and that it's on the volume pots (whereas on the tribute it's on the tone pots). Never seen a custom like that...

8. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

Coil splitting is when you split a humbucker so only one coil is in use.
    Coil tapping is similar but applies to single coils, and allows you to use less of a single coil's winding.

I wouldn't worry about, it, everyone seems to call it coil tapping, I'm just a bit surprised it would come LABELED like that since it is actually incorrect.

Most people don't know what it means, and I had to look it up to find out myself since I don't know crap about single coils!

9. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

I think it's cool they're offering this as standard equipment on some models like the Custom. Not like it's really costing them anything.

10. scoual

scoual Member

this seems to be a new feature on some epiphones but without epiphone even noticing their dealers or aknowledging it on their website, so far i've seen it on sg special and lp standard....seems to be on custom too......

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

They announced it in Aug 2010....

Epiphone Musical Instruments - News

12. M A D

M A D Senior Member

...brought it home a few hours ago.

Same... with coil split & a new old logo!

sn sais 2011/04 MIC - fantastic build quality... a real beauty :naughty:

...and it really looks like en ebony fretboard too... i have 99 per cent sureness :hmm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought it today at my local dealer for 500€ incl. Epi case. :cool:

straybeat, gonzo-lee and SJM like this.
  13. M A D

M A D Senior Member

:wave: thx a lot!! ...have a nice day :)

14. PapaManz

PapaManz Member

I just came across these newer customs myself about two weeks ago. The ebony boards and coil slitting features were a couple of nice touches and I came close to getting an ebony one. Ended up buying a 1960 V3 instead, however.

15. M A D

M A D Senior Member

...not a bad alternative :D

Here, this model is quite new and rare... and on ebay they want 699€ :wow:
    For sure a superb guitar... and very interesting.

Good looking too - but, every LP ist sexy :naughty:

16. Hack

Hack Senior Member

Very nice! Start your own NGD thread to get your boobs!

17. budg

budg Senior Member

My Epi LP Custom from 2010 in silverburst doesnt have them , but the newer ones do.I have them on my Gibson LP Studio deluxe and like the options.

18. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yep! There's something about the Ebony and Gold though that just makes that Gal super sexy. Nice score, congrats! She's beyond beautiful. :thumb:

19. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

Wow :shock:

That board is dark... where did you get it? If Epiphones started putting ebony boards on Customs I might shriek like a little girl.

20. PapaManz

PapaManz Member

The new customs I came across were at my local GC. Had a few of them hanging on the wall. They were most definitely some good looking axes. I imagine that they should be able to be found at most Guitar Centers and probably MF or other online Epi retailers.