Epiphone China vs. Korea

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by mongart, May 13, 2011.

1. mongart

mongart Junior Member

hi MLP, i'm new here and i'm on the brink of getting a new guitar. I'm seriously torn between the MIC Epiphone Ltd. Ed. LP in silverburst and an ESP/LTD EC-256. My only question is how good are the MIC Epiphones now compared to 2004 Korean made Epi's? i have a 2004 MIK G-400 Goth SG and I've tried out my bandmate's LP Custom although I am having a hard time deciphering the pros and cons of the newer Epis.

Hope people here can answer my question. thanks!

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Hi,

and welcome here.

I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell a difference - if you couldn't read where and when it was made.........

there are many 'good' ones from each period / country / factory
    and some less good ones....

play it, and .......

if it feels good to your hands,
    if it sounds good to your ears,
    if it looks good to your eyes,
    and if it fits your wallet..........buy it!

:D

the1jj and GERRYGTR62 like this.
  3. adam_v64

adam_v64 Senior Member

I dont think you can generalise with them. I've heard great things about the Korean guitars but the one Korean G400 custom I own is very sloppy in terms of build quality.

I think the Chinese ones are pretty good, after a full fret level and setup of course. If I were buying another guitar I certainly wouldn't be looking based on what country it was built.

4. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

During that time period Epiphones being made in Korea were still considered better than anything out of Qingdao until after 2006. In 2007 the Qingdao China Epiphone factory started implementing noticeable upgrades in building and materials to help make their Epiphone guitars some of the best ever made in the world.
    But, in 2004 Korea still ruled.
    I've seen many shoddy Qingdao pre-2006 Les Pauls and SG's with messy binding and gobs of glue on the neckjoins
    but somehow after that time they seemed to really pull it together to make a better instrument.
    Pre 2006 Epiphones from Korea would be considered superior, but by 2007 there would be little difference.

GERRYGTR62 likes this.
  5. josephchoi

josephchoi Senior Member

My qingdao 2008 HB les paul standard plus feels and sounds great to me. I had nut, cap and pup change but even before then it was a very nice instrument, at least to me.

6. DanoJS

DanoJS Senior Member

Chinese Lesters often get a bashing but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them - I have one and love the sound and build quality. If possible I would try and play both of them and see which feels and sounds best to you, do not base your decision on the guitar's origin. Good luck!!

7. Hack

Hack Senior Member

I have read alot on MLP about this. It seems that everyone has their own opinion and no real proof. So it's all about what you like I guess. There will not be many people in the section that tells you to buy one over the other. That will be your choice.

But.... I think if you get an older one that hasnt had break repairs, you cant go wrong. It has stood the test of time and should be of quality. But like beauty... quality is in the fingers of the beholder.

Welcome & good luck.

eta:

How could you go wrong with this:
    [​IMG]

8. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

They're both probably around the same I would say.

9. CustomClassic59

CustomClassic59 Senior Member

All I know is that my Epi Korean Standards & Customs are better quality than my Chinese ones. I can tell the difference...

marvar likes this.
  10. mongart

mongart Junior Member

if only i had the luxury of trying out guitars. I'm from the Philippines, and the only way we get Epis here is through shipping. The next best thing is trying out guitars from other people. I'm quite unhappy with how my friend's Epi LP Custom feels. But that may just be a Lemon or the way the guitar wasn't set-up to my preference. I'm thinking about this purchase really well and will post my decision (hopefully) soon. Thanks for the help guys!

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Are you sure, your friends Epi is 'legit' ?

There are too many fakes out....

River likes this.
  12. Vintage55

Vintage55 Senior Member

I had a Korean-made Epi that I bought new back in 2005 and it was very nice. The Chinese-made versions I've tried have all had chunkier necks which didn't appeal to me. Otherwise, they seemed to be just as well made.

The best Epi LP I've ever played (and now own) is the PRO/FX I bought about 3 months ago. It was made in Indonesia and it is without doubt the best I've played. Superb construction quality and the best top I've ever seen on an Epi LP.

[​IMG]

13. bobarino

bobarino Senior Member

^^ that guitar looks just fine ^^

:)

14. mongart

mongart Junior Member

Yes. my friend had it shipped here from musiciansfriend. unless musiciansfriend is known for selling 'fakes'. and i've tried 'em Chinese fakes and they are not nice.

15. markerdown

markerdown Senior Member

You can get a "lemon" epi from each country, it happens. It just depends on the axe. I have epis from both china and the ROK. All are outstanding players with excellent fit and finish.

I've purchased Epi LPs from MF numerous times without any issues but damage in shipping ocassionally happens. I always purchase an HSC if the axe does not come with one with instructions to ship in the HSC.

Just remember, they all are gonna need a set up unless you purchase from sweetwater and tell them how you want it set up, still, tweaking to your personal liking is gonna be required

I have yet to find a chunkier neck on a std chinese made Epi Lp. I actually prefer that type of neck. :D

16. enigma_0Z

enigma_0Z Senior Member

Some people will probably razz you for the silverburst (I like the way it looks personally, just something I've read) ... FWIW my MIC Epiphone plays great. It's newer though, a 2007 or 8 I think.

17. kysrsoze

kysrsoze Senior Member

Much as I despise buying things from China, my most recent Chinese buys have been outstanding. I've had 4 Japanese-made geetars, one American-made, a Mexican Strat, a Korean LP and three Chinese-made, including my LP Special Jr. The Jr. has a fantastic build quality and sounds wonderful, as did the other two Chinese examples I had. They build some great, cheap geetars. My Chinese-made Tweaker is great too. Like stuff from any other country, if you go too cheap, you're going to get garbage.

If I had the extra $$$, I'd buy all American-made, but you're definitely not getting junk if you don't.

18. B0nfire

B0nfire Member

i bought an epi traditional pro back in feb. ordered from musicians friend. played fine right out of the box, all i did was change strings. other than a couple finish issues. its worth the price.

19. amac56

amac56 Junior Member

Why do you dislike Custom LP's?

20. Hack

Hack Senior Member

To whom are you asking this and who are you?