Epiphone Chet SST

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Thelo, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Thelo

Thelo Member

Anyone have any experience with these? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SST-Studio-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513298

I'm going to be starting med school in the Caribbean in August and don't want to bring any of my "good" guitars down because I'm afraid of them either warping or getting stolen.

I want to pick up something that is a nice bang for a cheap buck and the Epi Chet Atkins SST seems to fit that bill. On my rare free moments I'd like to play a bit but a full on acoustic threatens to piss off my neighbors who will no doubt be studying all the time also. The SST has that acoustic sound but being shaped like an electric I feel I could still get some cool tones out of it with some effects for an electric feel.

I figure I'd want an acoustic and an electric with me which means buying two serious flight cases at $100 each. For $149 more I get a new guitar (always GASing) and can maybe meet both needs.

What do you guys think?

2. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

i asked the same question last week and there wasnt a lot of response. i have never seen one in the flesh and i dont know anyone who has either, but i am curious to the point of wanting to buy one just to try it.

from what little i have been able to find out - they arent in any way an electric guitar. it is an acoustic that only makes noise when plugged in. apparently you cant use them as an electric any more than if you ran a conventional electro-acoustic through a distortion pedal etc. they do have a direct to headphones output though which makes them good for rehearsing.

buy it and then you can tell me if i should get one too! :D

3. Bear

Bear Senior Member

For the price, you will like it.

4. Thelo

Thelo Member

Thanks, Bear.

The youtube videos make it sound pretty sweet and now it has full controls rather than just the two knobs to make EQing better. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger.