Epiphone 60's Tribute Plus vs. Prophecy models.

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by rednefceleb, Nov 23, 2017.

1. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Junior Member

The Epi 60's Tribute LP impressed me as to it's overall playability & '57 pups. I've not played any Prophecy models. The Tribute was the most bang for the buck that I have gotten. Does anyone have info on Prophecy (or other models) in the $500 to $650 (used) price range? Thanks.

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I own a Prophecy Futura.

What is it you would like to know?

3. rednefceleb

If they play along the lines of the 60's Tribute Plus.

4. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

I have had both. I ordered a Prophecy and when I got it it was spectacular looking, but the thing buzzed like a hornets nest. I took it to a local shop and after they went over it the verdict was fret job, so I sent it back and swapped it for a Trib + and I am much much happier. The Prophecy has a REALLY skinny neck. Strat guys should like it, its even on the skinny side for a Strat neck. The balance is a bit off also, due to the 24 fret neck the whole thing is shifted a smidge, the PUPs and bridge are higher up the body than they should be. And the 490/498 PUP set was just sorta meh IMO.

The Trib + has a slim taper neck, def on the skinnier side of Lester necks, but still grippable. The pups and bridge are in the right place and the 57/57+ are clearly superior pickups. I will also admit I like the simpler less busy binding and inlays also. Of the regular production Epis, the Trib + is the cream of the crop. Mine is a VS and its a knock out

5. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

mine.jpg

I have changed the knobs to black speed and took the cover off the bridge PUP

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  6. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

The bobbins are black. If I ever get ambitious I'll switch out the ring for black, but it looks kinda cool as is
    uncovered.jpg

Eddie 70, Jymbopalyse and lakeburst like this.
  7. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

PUP=pickup

8. rednefceleb

Thanks Wayward for the Prophecy rundown. I think that the Tribute Plus is the best Epi Les Paul model made in China. My next Epi Paul has got to be an Elitist. Lookin' @ FGN as well. Thanks.

9. rednefceleb

Also, the cream pup ring is good. Better than black would be...my thoughts.

10. rednefceleb

I've always wanted an old but fairly clean L6-S. I'm not sure if all of those had varitone switches or not. It would need that. Totally maple slab with 24 frets single cut. Also "The Paul" from the 70's.

11. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

They're completely different. Much thinner, almost Ibanez-like neck, a flatter 14" fretboard radius, bigger frets and a satin finish on the back of the neck. Even the neck is shifted up 2 frets to make access to all 24 frets easier. It's a shredder's guitar. The only thing the Prophecies have in common with the Tributes neck-wise is the scale length and the nut width. But even the nut itself on the Prophecies is graphite while the Tribute is plastic. But that's not something a little upgrading cannot fix.

Quality wise, the Prophecies are no better than a generic Epi LPC but with some cosmetic differences and different pickups. While the Tribtes are as good as it gets for a Chinese Epiphone.

But if you want higher quality than a Tribute, FGN's are an excellent and underrated choice. My LC20 is absolutely immense tonally and the playability is right up there with the best of the best. Epi Elitists are good guitars too but the secret about them is out and as such they aren't quite the great bang for buck deal they once were.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    paruwi likes this.
  12. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The Prophecy is just a modern type of an LP where the Tribute+ is more traditional

And yes, FGN gives you both
    with the typical perfect MiJ craftmanship :naughty:

13. rednefceleb

Thank you guys. These observations are what I needed. Only players can know this stuff. The FGN line makes me very hopeful. Their pricing is surprisingly low. I have learned a lot about the MIJ world all ready. Edwards lacquer models are nice too.

paruwi likes this.