Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by JazzyLester, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JazzyLester

JazzyLester Member

Hello guys,

I'm just posting this thread on the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard.

This was my "the one that got away" guitar.. (I think most people have them.. what's yours?). One I had and regret parting with. I bought one of these brand new back when they were released for the 50th anniversary.. I actually got mine a little late, early in the following year..

If there's one guitar I wish had worked out differently and I still had today it would be this one. I sold it because I'm really particular and it got a drop (long story.. not by my hands!). It hadn't received any visible damage but that kind of thing bothered me then, it repeatedly got to me and I just couldn't get it out of my head so I sold it on.

It had everything I liked and wanted on a guitar. Stock Burstbuckers (non-potted I think), long neck tenon, nice finish options, cool Lifton case. Plus it was limited and numbered. The only thing I wasn't crazy about on them was the edgeburst/rimburst or whatever you wish to call it.. it, plus the lack of pickguard, the latter being no biggie. Just a matter of two holes. But I think they probably should have put a pickguard on it as stock so you didn't have to drill them yourself.

Was there just the one run of these guitars? I'd read somewhere they had some waaay back around 2000 or 2001 but I think the person was maybe getting them mixed up with something else. Do you think it's likely they'll do another similar run of these at some stage? I was wondering, maybe they'll do something next year for the 60th anniversary of the 1959 model?

Failing that, do the 1959 come up on the market much these days? They were quite limited.. 1959 models in total. Not sure if that was 1959 cherryburst and 1959 iced tea burst or 1959 altogether.. I think it was altogether, anyways.

Anyone got any advice on what I should do? I'd like to get my hands on one of these.. but it would be amazing if there's a similar run next year. Or failing all that, is there any similar alternative out there? Seeing as the 1959 is so revered I'm always puzzled why there aren't more guitars such as this that are inspired by or trying to replicate or tribute it.

Thanks in advance, guys.
  2. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

The big difference between the 59's and other F series (60's tribs) is that thicker neck. I had two of these, both Ice tea. just sold the "stock" one. The remaining one is my "greenie" and the most modded guitar I have, and the only EPI that I consider a keeper. They are very nice guitars, as you mentioned only 1959 built. I think they where all built in 2009, I would suggest keeping an eye on Reverb, and Ebay.
    JohnnyN likes this.
  3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I saw one on Ebay not long ago. As stiff fingers said, keep and eye on Ebay, Reverb and the likes. You can save your search and get e-mail alerts on Ebay.
    They made a similar JDM 59 model, and a JDM Classic, both very nice. Not sure, but maybe th eClassic have slim neck.
    I'm not keen on the rimburst either, but I forget that when I plug it in :)
  4. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

I got mine from here when I had posted about how much I liked my 1960 and would like to pickup a 1959 at some point.

Probably worth your while to post in the classifieds here and at Epiphone Talk to see if you have any luck.

Sorry you let yours get away; I too wish it had a teardrop burst but since I can't see it when I play it, it doesn't bother me too much.

JohnnyN likes this.
  5. MyLeftyPaul

MyLeftyPaul The Islander Premium Member

They sometime show up on EBay, or maybe check on this site if somebody's selling. It's a very nice guitar, hope you can find one to replace your "totga".

Mine got hit by a ceiling fan years back, chipped the head stock a bit but nothing to worry about. My little girl (2 y/o that time) suddenly ran and about to hit her head on it, she's more important than the head stock. :)

Actually reading through the specs of the :slash: Anaconda Burst I was thinking the neck profile might be similar. I haven't played it though, can't confirm, but assuming it was modeled to a '59 it just might.
    JohnnyN and jimmyjames like this.
  6. AK Epi Player

AK Epi Player Senior Member

Hi there J-L,
    yes, they are nice guitars, and I too regret selling my first one!

However, I was able to find a N.O.S. one 4 years ago, when Musicians Friend had them listed (again!) on their site. It turns out, they had two of them, which had gotten back in the system. I ordered one, and was just thrilled when I opened it up, and saw the top!! :wow:

I can't vouch for the second one, but it looks like mine was intended for the Japanese market,and had been shipped over from Japan, and got back into the US Epiphone inventory. This is based on all the markings/stickers on the box (Gibson Japan, Epiphone Japan), and the owners manual is in Japanese.

Since then, I have been able to get both the guitars mentioned above (Standard '59, and Super Classic) buying them off Japanese auction sites. I have the Super Classic for sale at the moment (on FleeBay), and could probably be talked out of the Standard '59 also. It does have the Teardrop Burst that the "1959" Standards did not have. I'm pretty sure the specs for all 3 of them are close, but have read that the "Standard '59" has BB1 & 2's, and not the 2 & 3 combo in the later ones. Have never pulled the pups on mine to check.
    JohnnyN likes this.