Epi Limited Ed. Custom Shop...

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by CivoLee, Aug 3, 2011.

1. CivoLee

CivoLee Senior Member

Does this mean a higher standard of quality than the "normal" production models? I like the Traditional Pro but I have doubts about Chinese construction/quality control...

2. Strato

Strato Banned

Someone help him>I'd think after a million runs under the Custom shop logo it wouldn't help much on the value sky rocketing or anything unless you keep it cherry for 150 years.Seems like they would run a few of this and that and break the mold but such ideas don't sale millions of guitars.Silverburst to me are the same way.Custom shop logo with god only knows how many have shared that pretty little emblem.

3. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

My opinion - Limited edition custom shop usually doesn't add value. Nothing that I am aware of comes from a "custom shop". They are manufactured down the same assembly line as the non custom shop Epiphones. Most often I see the limited edition custom shop logo on Epi's that are a limited run of a color that is not on their normal roster of a certain guitar. Or they are usually on other guitars that they are building a certain number of.

4. maxxi

maxxi Senior Member

epiphone custom shop= limited paintjob.
    no more, no less

5. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

Agree with the previous three replies.

6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

This ^^ should be part of the Epi FAQ

Malikon, Hack, SJM and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sportrider24

Sportrider24 Senior Member

I couldn't agree more. My highest quality Epi Les Paul was made in Indonesia.

8. AccustomedtoStandards

AccustomedtoStandards Senior Member

I think some of the models that Epiphone designates "Custom Shop" are a little more differentiated than paint jobs. The '57 Junior reissue and the Les Paul Special SC both come to mind.

But anything with that label is certainly more "Limited Edition" than Custom Shop. And in Epiphone Terms I think Limited Edition probably means "We limited production to as many as we could sell."

9. Spiteface

Spiteface Senior Member

I am inclined to agree there.

I have owned Korean and Chinese LPs and Dots. The Chinese LP I bought because it was one of these limited paintjobs (it was a white LP standard), and compared to my 2001 korean LP standard, it just felt like a toy.

I have also owned two Dots, one was a 2004 Korean-made instrument ( assume it was just before production switched to China) that for the time I owned it, was a lovely guitar. For some reason I parted with it a couple of years later for a MIM Tele Standard. Then about 2 years ago, I decided to get another Dot. This time it would be a chinese model. I can honestly say it was every bit as good as the Korean one I owned. The only thing i did with it since was put in some new pickups (Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs).

It's never bothered me where a guitar was made. If i could afford them, and they were good enough, of course I'd be buying USA. If I'm looking at another certain type of guitar and I see some chinese Squier/Epiphone that does the job it's supposed to, I'll gladly take that.