epi les paul special II

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by OHIOSTEVE, Sep 6, 2017.

1. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

are there any redeeming qualities to these guitars? one at a pawn shop locally like new for 65 bucks out the door. I don't need it, not even sure I want it but seen a guy playing one the other day doing a show and it actually sounded good...

2. ricksepilp

ricksepilp Senior Member

I love mine, Did some upgrades and I probably play it more than my others.

howardlo likes this.
  3. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Friend got one, he really digs it.

4. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

I Pete-Townshended mine. What a POS. Others here on the forum seem to love them.
    Probably a lot of variation in the quality of those cheapies.

5. sci

sci Senior Member

And of course not to forget:
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/lp-special-love.379824/
    :)
    For 65.- it is a steal. My Special II is my go-to practice guitar, because it makes the most fun to play for me. I use my Gibson LP for the "official recordings", but I play the rest of the time mostly my Special. And it is not modded - everything in original setup, including the so-critiqued tuners. The 700T humbucker is great for modern metal IMHO. Maybe if you play clean you would like something more balanced and soft.

6. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I played one in Sam Ash, unplugged. It felt solid and the playability was top notch.

7. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

The Epi LP Special II was my first guitar, I remember really liking it at the time but about a year later I traded up for an Epi LP Standard. I played a Special II in guitar center recently though and was surprised at how solid it actually is.

[​IMG]

marc1kim likes this.
  8. terryk20

terryk20 Junior Member

i play rhythm guitar at open mic night with my buddies band and i use an epi lp special ii plus top mine has a set of epi pro buckers i got off of ebay and they brought it to life i also put in a good nut and a set of good tuners total spent less than 100 bucks and every one i play with is amazed at how a cheep guitar can sound so great i say its worth it to get you can spend some money wisely and have a desent guitar for a lot less than a gibson or a fender good pickups make a lot of difference

Attached Files:

howardlo and A1Coyote like this.
  9. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

I have a Special I and absolutely love it. I think it's my favorite guitar ever, LOL I installed some Gibson tuners that my brother gave me, did a setup, and she plays like a dream. Lots of mojo in this guitar (and that's something money can't buy).:slash:

howardlo likes this.
  10. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

I went back and bought it.... 50 bucks out the door. Has an issue with the G string not staying in tune. My friend has one with the same issue. I did some work on the nut and its way better. If I keep it (i like it) I will put a new nut and if I can make em work I have a set of tuners off of a little Martin that are pretty nice I might put on it.

howardlo likes this.
  11. marc1kim

marc1kim Senior Member

Guitar Fetish tuners drop in without having to enlarge the peghole, but you'll have to drill some new holes for the mounting screws

12. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Its what i started with and my name on this fourm, (mine is an alpine white special 2) still rocking the stock tuners, bridge and tailpiece. Swaped the nut for a tusg and put a seymour duncan 59 in the neck and a dimebucker in the bridge with some new wiring. Kinda went crazy there and added a second volume and tone and went 22 tone jimmy page style wiring, i fit it all in the factory route so the knobs are super close. But some tele style knurled knobs help with the spacing. Pure beast for metal tones, bassiest guitar i own. The tusg nut makes it hold tune forever and really proved to me that the tuners arent the problem in that regard. My only gripe about the guitar would be the pickups were kinda muddy but what can you expect for $100.

howardlo likes this.
  13. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

think I will buy a new nut for it and see if that helps the tuning.. if not then some cheap tuners.

howardlo likes this.
  14. syrinx

syrinx Senior Member

I bought a epi les paul special 1 for sixty and a special 2 for less. The special 2 has a great neck-but everything else blows. The special one with P90s is a true special guitar. Light weight, stays in tune and the pickups scream. Only issue is bad switch. Now I collect guitars and have 2 other Gibson les pauls with P90s-and of course they all sound different-but the epi hangs with them- and when other players play the 3 back to back-its not a lesser guitar-some even feel it is the best sound. As always play before you buy to see what it is- and budget a few dollars for tweaks and setup.

15. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Member

Arrrhhh! The f..... G-string on these LPs! Great axe, but the outoftune issue drives me nuts

16. OHIOSTEVE

OHIOSTEVE Senior Member

buddy of mine was here.. for some reason went nuts over this guitar... tried to buy it.. I told him no...he pulled 120 bucks outta his pocket and laid it on the table even after I told him I had 50 bucks and a set of strings in it. I told him it was not worth that . he said it was to him so now he owns it. I may find another one.