Epi Les Paul Jr. - Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Wagster, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Wagster

Wagster Senior Member

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Junior-Electric/dp/B004ISLGKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343187574&sr=8-1&keywords=les+paul+jr"]Amazon.com: Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Junior Electric Guitar, TV Yellow: Musical Instruments[/ame]

What's the general opinion on this guitar? All the on-site reviews are good but I'm still not convinced I need one of these. It does look like a fun guitar and for the price, I wouldn't worry about it when I passed out drunk and left it laying out in the yard overnight....

On the other hand, I don't want something that never gets played and just ends up taking up space in my "guitar closet".

2. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

These are cool little basic guitars that give a hint of the Les Paul sound for cheap. I bought my daughter the SG version because she's a little 5 foot shit and needed something smaller for her size. I play the damn thing all the time. :D

3. davies

davies Banned/Not Banned V.I.P. Member

With comments like that, I'm not sure you should be allowed to own a guitar at all mate!

Seriously though, never played one and I'm not sure I could - I'm a fully signed-up member of the trapezoid club. (I'm sure it's a damn fine guitar for the money though.)

2 people like this.
  4. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

Guitar Center has used ones for $49 to $99 if you just wanna spend a couple of bucks to try one out without killing the wallet?

at Guitar Center.| Search Results

If you call the store where it's at the guys will tell you if it's beat to death and not to waste your money.

5. Malikon

Malikon dis_function(); V.I.P. Member

Preach it brother man. :applause:

6. swamprock

swamprock Senior Member

As with all cheapo guitars, there are good ones and bad ones. I had good luck with my first Junior (2010 Indonesian-made, 60s-style neck, solid body that wasn't plywood, straight neck, good frets) but played a few before I bought it. I found that the Chinese-made Juniors were pretty crappy, but the Indos were decent. Slapped some new tuners, a new nut, a Mean-90 pickup, and new tone cap on it, and it became my main guitar. I've also got a 2002 black Junior as my stage backup, with a 50s-style neck and a Dream-90 pickup in it, that, although it's plywood, is also a decent, fun guitar, especially for slide playing.

Play a few, and grab one that feels and plays right. Do some mods to it (especially the tuners; they suck horribly) and you'll have a decent, go-to guitar that's fun to play. Best of all, you're out less than a couple hundred bucks after all of the mods.

These are my Juniors. The first pic is from before I changed the tuners and knobs. It has amber knobs and GFS tuners now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. battra

battra Senior Member

You get them on Ebay all day long for cheaper than that.

epiphone les paul junior | eBay

I'm also a member of the trapezoid club...and four knobs...and two pups...and a switch!

I'd imagine though it'd a great little beater guitar.

8. Wagster

Wagster Senior Member

Yea, I've seen some cheaper ones to be sure, but it was the TV Yellow that caught my eye.

I have plenty of guitars that have the full compliment of switches, knobs, pickups AND traps. ANYBODY (Slash) can sound good playing those guitars.... I was looking for a challenge! :naughty:

I went ahead and ordered one. If I get a good one I'll keep it. If it's a dog I'll send it back to the pound. One thing for sure, I'll be the first one on my block to have one!

Already I'm wondering what a Bill Lawrence L90 would sound like installed in it?

9. sonofthesouth

sonofthesouth Senior Member

I have one and love it it's just a fun guitar very basic. With a few basic mods it becomes very cool for not much money.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Heres the thing. I just don't like single pup guitars, and especially when that pup is in the bridge position. Also, I'm not into bolt on necks on LPs. Doesn't Epi have a low cost "studio model" or something with two pups and a set neck? That might well be the ticket for the OP

11. Wagster

Wagster Senior Member

Rats. I was buying this guitar to give to you as a xmas present, Dole. Guess I'll swap it for a tie instead... :hmm:

Here's the thing. I really appreciate your concern here, but it was this specific model I was interested in. I'm not looking for a Les Paul Sr. Just thought this might be a fun guitar to have around. I'll break out my Gibson when things turn serious!

BTW, nice hat. (In case you were looking for something to get me for xmas)

1 person likes this.
  12. swamprock

swamprock Senior Member

I saw yours, before and after, on Gibson's Epi forum, and it was one of the mods that inspired me to do mine. Nice guitar!

13. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

OK, if you want a guitar with a single pup in the bridge position (and I actually have one) you may need a capacitor upgrade to get rid of the "ice pick" treble. Maybe not. Just be aware of this possibility.

And Wagster: Thanks for thinking about me at Christmas, but I already have all the guitars I need. And my hat? It is a genuine hat from OZ. I thought it looked like Neil Young's hat. I wear it for gigs. It conveys Neil's message: "I may miss some notes and I may sing off key, but I don't care and neither should you".

3 people like this.
  14. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

15. Wagster

Wagster Senior Member

LMAO - That's awesome. I've always wanted a guitar that requires shampoo and conditioner. I wonder if it comes in yellow? I would just worry that one of my dogs may try to hump it! :laugh2:

Really though, if I was looking for a top quality Jr. I'd be shopping the Gibson market. That's not what I want. The only reason I considered this guitar was BECAUSE it was so cheap. But, I just don't want to buy a piece of junk. And judging by the pics I've seen in this thread there are some nice Epi Jr's out there in spite of the low price. I must admit though, that 57 reissue is a purdy guitar. You should not have posted that link!

Good call. I do have a few spares laying around. What value would be a good starting point? .22?

If this ends up being a player, I am serious about trying a Bill Lawrence L90 in it. I just love his pickups...

:laugh2: I definitely need one of those hats! You, me and Neil seem to have alot in common!

1 person likes this.
  16. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

Bill Lawrence pickups, fo' shizzle my nizzle!

17. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

I thought you'd like the fuzzy one? You could play ZZ Top on it! :D The problem is getting your hand stuck in the fur trying to change the tone.

I just through the set neck out there because someone above mentioned it.

My daughter's SG could be a player with pots and pup change. Don't see any reason why not? The action is good, has a nice tone as is with the cheap crap in it. I couldn't imagine how cool it would be fixed up?

18. Malikon

19. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

I was stunned and amazed myself, but there is a slew of them running $480 to $525. I couldn't believe it after just passing on nice Standards for $400. My guess is one bozo started it, then everyone else followed suit? :hmm:

20. Malikon

I like Epiphones well enough,..but that's just crazy.