[Epi Dot] New pots and switch?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Kuroyama, May 27, 2009.

1. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

Has anyone here rewired an Epiphone Dot? Lately Im thinking that my Epi Dot has tone that COULD be improved. The question is will upgrading pots and wires improve tone enough to warrant the effort?

Anyone here done this? Thoughts?

2. Tom99SS

Tom99SS Senior Member

I just did this. Upgraded the pots and caps to audio taper 500K pots and Sprague Vit. Q caps. Wired it 50's style and and this removed the "muffled" sound that I was hearing before the change. Clearer tone and now when rolling down the volume the highs stay. :thumb:

I left the switch and output jack alone for now.

3. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

I did a neat little RS Vintage/Modern wiring scheme on mine, along with FilterTrons. Doesn't sound or look like another.:cool:

4. rybass

rybass Senior Member

Billy, did you paint the interior of the sound holes?

5. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

Hopefully, if you undertake this job, you have fingers the diameter and length of pencils, with four knuckles each that bend both ways.

6. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

No. The only thing I did was take a Sharpie™ to the edges of the F-Holes where it wasn't painted. The rest of the inside is unfinished.

All you really need is some aquarium air hose tubing & some patience... :cool:

7. jms8250

jms8250 Junior Member

Yes it would improve the tone and dynamics slightly. The linear operating range for noth your tone and volume will increase. All caps sound a little different but not so much s to wory about which one you actually use. Just use any good cap for the pots. CTS pots are fine. Match them up if you can. Use linear taper for your tone and audio taper for your volume. I could recommend parts to set you up singing real sweet. That guitar could use new pickups too. Actually, you should upgrade your electronics when you upgrade your pickups. Most players do not even realize this. Good electronics get the most out of good after market pickups.

jms8250
    PeerlessTone.com | A portal into that ever so elusive quest for the perfect tone.