Epi 335 vs Dot

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by navigate40, Oct 6, 2017.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Hi Everyone

I am now thinking about a full sized Epi 335 for a new guitar. It will round out my collection nicely, fitting in between the P90 Strat and Gib LP (twin humbuckers).

Played a number of guitars at GC, over a few weeks to months and am settling on a full sized semi hollow with humbuckers.

I recently played a 335 Pro (Probuckers) and Dot (alinico classics?) back to back on a Fender Blues jr. I mostly play clean. Mix of classic rock and other. The Dot actually sounded a little better...but...I am wondering if it might have been the set up? The pups on the 335 seemed too high, not sure.

Reviews state that the new Probuckers are really better pups. Seems they should be. I like the Gibson 57 sound. So...the question is: have others found this ...in store....variability? And so, should I order a new 335 Pro, based on that?

Thanks

John

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

might be worth trying to find another 335 to test, but I've never played a bad Dot, and those alnico pickups aren't too bad IMO Could be you genuinely prefer the Dot. What kind of amp do you use at home/practice?

3. Victek

Victek Senior Member

For a while I had both of them and eventually sold the Dot. The two guitars are very similar, but to me the ES335 Pro does sound better plus it has additional features that I like, such as the tulip tuners, block inlays, and neck binding. The ES335 also has coil splitting; not sometime I particularly care about but some people like that option. The ES335 can also be had in Ice Tea Burst :yesway:

truckermde likes this.
  4. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Thank you for the comments. I am going to have to play both again. I have a Fender champ 20 and a blues jr, at home. Play both (the champ is in a convenient spot).
    The Dot sounded great, the pro a little bright. But, that might have been pickup height. Or...perhaps accurate. Still....I am a little concerned that the classic's might be muddy as compared with the Pro's.

The price for each is close. The 335 is on sale elsewhere...so GC will price match. But...in no hurry (they always have sales).

On paper...the 335 is the better model. Probuckers, neck binding, trapezoid inlays. The F holes in the Dot I play were very rough and barely painted. The machine heads on the Dot were actually rough and barely painted. Tuning heads on the Dot were actually pitted...the 335 has nice vintage ones.

On balance....I know that I want the 335. Just a little weirded out that the Dot sounded so good...but this could have been set up.

Ultimately.....it just seems that the consensus is that the Probuckers are better?

5. Victek

Victek Senior Member

truckermde likes this.
  6. navigate40

navigate40 Member

backtothefuture.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg Black is very cool. Lucile looking. Tea burst is great. I am thinking classic cherry.

truckermde and Benjammin like this.
  7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Bring a screwdriver to adjust pickup height the next time you go back to try.

Thumpalumpacus, Benjammin and Victek like this.
  8. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Cherry it is :) By the way they come strung with 10s, but I prefer 9s and put on Super Slinkys. The necks on both the Dot and the 335 were straight and I only needed to lower the action a little. As for the Dot you played having pitted tuners, etc, it sounds like it's been laying around. When new they are perfect.

9. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

The Epi ES-335 Pro should have Alnico Classics in it as well (the Pro version with the 4-conductors for the push-pull pots, but Alnico Classics nonetheless) and not ProBuckers.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/ES-335-PRO.aspx

My Iced Tea Epi ES-335 Pro is simply a fantastic guitar... not fantastic for the price or fantastic for an Epi... just fantastic.

Victek and medic24 like this.
  10. navigate40

navigate40 Member

!!!!!!!!! 1all......I did not even notice or even think about that! I just checked and you are so right.
    Weird. Now, I am re-thinking the whole thing. I have no use for coil tapping...but I do like the other features of the 335. And...right now.....a cherry 335 is on sale for quite a bit less than a Dot.
    But....not in a hurry. I just got a new Gib LP a couple months ago. A 335 would be a nice, all around, pick it up and play guitar (the LP is heavy). Something different and fun. We are coming into the holiday season when there should be quite a few sales.
    But...hmmmmm.......
    [and no wonder the Dot sounded just as good....same pups...just not coil tapped]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Ibanez's AS- series of semi-hollows are in the 335 ballpark. Good variety of sounds and the workmanship is outstanding.

RoJay likes this.
  12. navigate40

navigate40 Member

For information:

Epi Alnico classic and classic Pro pickups have Alnico V magnets.

The Probuckers have Alnico II magnets, just as the Gibson 490 and '57's do. My Gib LP has 490's, and I really like that sound. I also have a spare gib '57 two conductor pup lying around waiting for a project.

Going to have to give this more thought.

13. Victek

Victek Senior Member

14. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Very cool...thanks for posting. I had seen that once before...but....had not thought of it. Not a bad idea.

Still thinking...one thought about the Dot is that the wiring should be simple two conductor wiring, and so swapping in the Gib '57 I have should be simple.

But the mag swap looks interesting. And all things being equal, assuming I like the tone, might just do that for a subtle change.

We shall see. Still thinking about it. Still like the binding, inlays and tuners on the 335.

15. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Note added: To me the big thing about the 490's with Alnico II's is that to my ears, I can hear the definition of each string much better. I am not sure if this is due to the A2's or the Gib pups. Just something I will have to investigate going forward.
    but, the axe would just be for fun, all around playing. Just want to maximize results for the expense.
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  16. Victek

Victek Senior Member

FYI I've heard it's a bear to change out the pickups on the 335s (there's a tutorial on the forum somewhere). Swapping the magnets on the existing pups might be a lot easier. :hmm:

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  17. navigate40

navigate40 Member

I think you are so right. I have played around way too much, changing pups in guitars. My strat is almost scarred from it :)

One thing I love about the Gib LP is that it is perfect as is. And that is the way it should be...play a guitar....if you like it ...buy it...play it.

I think I will focus on getting a 335 in cherry, in the future. And if I find the pups too harsh....do a mag change. But that is it. Get the guitar because you like playing it.

Thanks

18. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Well......... got to GC today and played a bit. Played a 339, then a 335. Liked the 339, but felt the sound of the 335 was more semi-hollow like and worth it. Did not find the size any issue.

THEN....I played the Epi Sheraton II Pro. With ProBuckers. Wow.... just loved it. Great sound. It has a stronger neck, upgraded nut and the Probuckers. At first, I was not into the gold, but gold metal on a black body....really began to draw me in. Something elegant about it.

Originally I had though the 335 PRO...had Probuckers....which I wanted.

One thing....I do have a Gib '57 humbucker sitting around...and could put that in a 335...... Not sure it would be get the same results as the twin probuckers ....and it would not have the coil tapping (2 conductor)...which I actually thought worked fairly well.

hmmmmm.... am going to have to give this more thought.... :)

19. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

The Sheraton would probably have the best resale value if you're interested in such things.

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

A Sherry's a good guitar, no doubt. In the tonal ballpark, and I've only played one that wasn't too good -- but that was a setup issue that would have been an easy fix with a set-up.