Epi 1960 Tribute Pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Stu James, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Stu James

Stu James Junior Member

Hi all, my first post here and hoping for some advice on a pickup upgrade on my Epi 1960's Tribute V3 LP. First of all I love this guitar, but been considering changing out the Burst Buckers for a while now. I played a mates cheap Artist LP copy today with very cheap Donlis pickups installed. This sounded awesome , made my Epi Sound nasally and muddy in comparison. I like the vintage vibe and output of the the Burst Buckers but after something with more clarity and maybe just a fraction more bite. I don't want hugely expensive pups, but don't spending a bit, or getting second hand. I play rock, blues, maybe heavy rock at the most. Any advice from people in the know would be hugely appreciated
    Stu

2. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Senior Member

I'd try 50s style wiring before swapping out the pickups.

Buzzin_Cousin likes this.
  3. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

Yep this was to be my reply as well. It will change the roll off and the response to the way you bring the volume down however, so if that doesn't bother you that should be a good solution.

It's just a matter of changing wires from one lug to the other, so pretty simple and reversible too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  4. Stu James

Stu James Junior Member

Thanks I might try that first, will 50's wiring open up the tone a bit? A bit more clarity? Any other specific pickup suggestions?

5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

It just sounds more clear, more note separation too.
    The gain will roll of faster and you can play clean on the gain channel at low guitar volumes.

6. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the 1960 V3 had 50's wiring; I've never actually played one but here's the cavity of my V1:

[​IMG]

Shane

7. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

Wait a min... I thought epiphone 60's tribute comes stock with gibson 57 classic?

8. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

9. noobyXD

noobyXD Member

10. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Burstbuckers are the only pickups I know that can sound both harsh and muddy at the same time. You could try Alnico 3 magnets in the BB's, but I replaced mine with a pair of PAF replicas from Mojo pickups in UK. I can recommend Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers too. I've also seen Seymour Slash set on sale - they sure aren't bad either.

11. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

If Seth Lovers are out of budget, a set of basic '59s will clear the tone up as well.

12. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

If you spend most of your time playing with the volume all the way up on the guitar, 50's wiring will not change your sound (all other factors being equal). It only affects the amount of treble loss as you roll down the volume. My first move would be to swap out the pickups.

13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

What Burstbuckers came with the guitar in the OP? I have BB3 bridge PU in my Tak Matsumoto, and they are not muddy (but can be a little harsh).

14. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

I don't have any experience with Burstbuckers, but before swapping them out I would try and experiment with both pickup and pole piece height.

If you decide to change, how about some Pearly Gates ? Or JB in the bridge, 59 in the neck ?

JMon likes this.
  15. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

The 1960 Standard has a BB1 in the neck and BB2 in the bridge.

Shane

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  16. JMon

JMon Senior Member

+1

I have Burstbuckers in my Gibby SG. They don't sound muddy nor harsh. Move those pups away from the strings.

howardlo likes this.
  17. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

If you play with your guitar's volume all the up all the time...you might want to turn the guitar down and your amp up more. You'll be amazed what this will do for you.