End of Makeovers

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Schofnsteen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

To be honest the wood blanks that were available pulled me in to this build.

I'm not a big fan of buying a guitar I have not played first but the quality of the builds as of late it might be a good gamble.So we will see.

I have had almost every flavor of reissue so why not this.

At least I'm still buying them and own a few.

2. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Hey Mike,
    If or when you decide to unload this one with some discount. You know who to PM. Lol

Ps. That is certainly a fine looking piece of blank. As always you have good taste with your choices of wood!

mfolet likes this.
  3. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

You got it. PS. Thanks

4. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

I have a few guitars with BRW fretboards, their is no discernable tonal difference as a result of that particular wood that I can hear, maybe others can. My thoughts are that it was used in the 50's because it was plentiful, and affordable. Now it is scarce and expensive, and not worth it unless you are restoring a vintage guitar. To pay 2-3k more for a BRW historic is more cawk sniffin than I care to participate in.

Those that can hear BRW, hyde glue, truss rod condoms on or off, as improvements have better ears than I do.

What cracks me up is the guy that needs all these supposed tonal upgrades, and then posts a pic of his pedal board. Bye Bye BRW, so long hyde glue, ta ta truss rod condom, hello delay, reverb, eq, chorus, overdrive and others.

If it inspires you to play then fine, but other than bragging rights of superiority, I just don't get it.

jwehrman, endial, bbaug14 and 3 others like this.
  5. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I am the odd ball member of this group/section. :D

I know most here are into the "just like the original" aspects. I personally just buy guitars I love tonally, feelwise and love to play for my style.

Historically accurate aspects "just like a original" are not something I worry about or will change parts, etc.. for those reasons. If I change things it's usually for different reasons, not for historically accurate reasons. Most of the guitars I own are far from the originals.

freebyrd 69 and endial like this.
  6. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I do it for science.....

No.... on a solid body there is no tonal difference out of any of it....Braz or Glues...

What sold me on the glue was you are forced to make a good Mortise and tenon joint for that stuff to work properly, it forms a crystalline/glasslike bond, it requires good wood to wood contact. In other words you can't FILL areas of bad construction technique with hide glues....I have seen some crappy neck joints that were literally filled with tight bond glue. Tight bond is an excellent glue and I use it for wood stuff around the house.

I also use hide glue for occasional Violin repair ....and I get it....it does make a difference on acoustic instruments, it allows for a much faster medium for the vibrations to travel through. Tight bond is rubbery and will slow these vibrations down, altering the final tambor of the note.....(Again on acoustic instruments) So IMO it makes perfect sense to use hide glue on a solid body just because its lying around the shop....and was the earlier standard ....back in the day....

I don't use any effects, they hide too much....I like it naked....

7. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

I have to say I really doubt this. Makeover guitars are modded Gibson’s. Most of the time when someone gets a makeover, they had to buy a GIBSON, so it’s really not hurting them at all. Plus it’s not likely to be significant enough for Gibson to waste time fighting it.

On the other hand, if Gibson can get some guys to pay triple the $$$ for a similar product, they’ll build a few. I really don’t see that much onerous on Gibson’s part. People asked for Brazilian, they build a few and charge megabucks, it’s that simple.

I doubt this will effect aftermarket makeovers at all. They’re too good of a value, and Gibson is just proving it.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Vic Titebond is only an issue if the Mortise & Tenon has not been made correctly.

If it has been made correctly with a Wood to Wood interference contact, the Glue does not have to do any gap filling.

My Singlecut Custom has Titebond on the Maple to Mahogany & the Neck Join..............it is a great Guitar, just as good if not better than my Replicas & my better Les Pauls.

Let's face we also all had great Les Pauls from the earlier years where Titebond was used.

Cheers, Rudi

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Funny thing is, Gibson charges like 2K+ for the BRW upgrade ... doing a HM on a brand new Historic will cost you less and you get more for your $$$ . Throwing $$ away is OK if you want to or feel the need for having Gibson install a BRW board for you .. But IMO ... It doesn't make sense . Your guitar devalues so fast these days , once you take it out of the box. You've already got screwed .....
    This new run of Gibson LP's are nothing special , after the BRW . Not hand picked woods for tone , Just an off the line R .... Buying a 2003 from MM Stinger run will be a better choice ,imo ...Them are some Fine guitars ....
    I see moaning and groaning in the next 4 months,,,, at re-sale time ....
    Who wants Stump wood anyway ????:lol::hyper:
    The GAS is getting overwhelming here ...I goona start selling GAS masks :fingersx:

trapland likes this.
  10. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Exactly what I'm saying Rudi....

The glue switch forces ALL of the guitars to be fitted correctly .....Not knocking the glue....

endial and RAG7890 like this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

........so we’re tite then Vic? :D

Cheers, Rudi.

Sterling # Sound and Sct13 like this.
  12. FKO

FKO Senior Member

LPs are relatively "new" to me; however, i've played and owned my fair share of strat/tele to safely say that BRW or not, it is just a "small" variable of the entire construction of the guitar. A guitar needs more than hyde glue, truss rod condom, BRW, etc to be "good".

It is simply i want one and has nothing to do with tonal "upgrades". It's more of a "feel good" instinct... lol

13. 59noob

59noob Senior Member

For what it's worth, I'm also of the opinion that how an electric guitar sounds acoustically has very little bearing on how it plays plugged in and especially during live play. I've tried, old wood, new wood, aged wood, baked wood (on Strat clones), reclaimed wood, Brazilian rosewood, Indian rosewood, hide glue, titebond, truss rod sheath, no sheath, loose truss rod, tight truss rod, heavy guitar, light guitar, vintage guitar, modern guitar, etc. and they all affect how the electric guitar sounds acoustically, but none of them seem to really correlate to the plugged-in sound. The final sound, to me, is a combination of everything, but the acoustic sound quality of the electric guitar ranks pretty low in the pecking order of the overall sound, at least in my opinion. I have 9.5lbs Titebond constructed early Reissues that sound like duds acoustically with "Historically wrong" hardware, but are just super when plugged in. But one thing is for sure they all sound different, and that's why I like to have many! If you have an ideal sound in your head for what your electric guitar should sound like, and are constantly chasing that, then wouldn't you really ever only own one electric guitar?

freebyrd 69, FennRx and GearHo like this.
  14. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

My buddy refers to the volume control on an amp as the suck control, the more you turn it up, the more people can hear you suck. Its not a talent boost knob either.....

His point is, after all the improvements and the right parts, you can still put a guy behind that guitar that will bring his nastiness regardless.

freebyrd 69 and jwehrman like this.
  15. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

I am slowly coming around to preferring my 2010 and 2011 R8's stock.I resisted the urge to swap the pups right away,as they didn't fit my perceptions ,and now prefer them for what they are.Both quite different sounding.They grew on me. Best to restrain preconceived notions here.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  16. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

:rofl:Gibson is FAR from releasing something ever remotely close to a Historic Makeover.

17. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I honestly think there are a lot more of you......us, out there than anyone thinks. Many of the haters assume we are chasing the dream of a 59, when in reality, we just like the damn things for what they are in their own right.

I also think many assume that most of us are just collectors and don't use them for tools of the trade. Of course, they are wrong about MANY of us on both counts.

jamman, trapland, lpthomas and 4 others like this.
  18. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Probably very true and glad to hear there are others here like me!

Sometimes here I feel like the outsider a big portion of the time and that many here look for the historical accuracy aspects first and foremost.

Feel, playability and tone are my main concerns. I personally could care less about the historical accuracy of the plastics color, pickup cover shape, cracked finish, glue used, etc.., etc..

freebyrd 69 and DanD like this.
  19. jamman

jamman Premium Member

spot on ... buying Nice/well made guitars doesn't = you want an original (of course having 1 would be nice) But for the prices they cost , I'll buy a New House , New Car and drink a few beers thinking about what I'll buy next with the $$$ still left in the bank ...
    200-300-or more K's for 1 guitar ... That's nuts ...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    freebyrd 69 and JEDHRMC like this.