End of Makeovers

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Schofnsteen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. BDW60

BDW60 Senior Member

What evidence do you have that the custom shop is the reason Gibson's USA build quality has declined (if indeed it has)? Exactly how are those two things married? Gibson wanted to get into lower end markets. So they started coming out with "shortcut" guitars in order to meet a certain price point and provide an easier entry into the brand. Faded finishes, no binding, etc. It wasn't that long ago that an old school Studio was that guitar, but they wanted to lower the point of entry even more. None of that has much if anything to do with historics.

Example of Gibson's inherent problem: Gibson custom comes out with a pretty cool modern double cut for $4K -- and I am convinced if this exact same axe was being built by some small shop in France at this price point there would be some small luthier worship going on -- but the reaction to it? Yuck, ugly, overpriced, etc. So they try come out with a 24 fret, easy high fret access, comfortable heel, fresh thinking, anti-Les Paul guitar and it won't get any traction.

They are trapped.

DanD likes this.
  2. matte

matte Senior Member

seeing as fiji plantation grown mahogany comprises how much of a historic les paul? gibson is unlikely to offer a replica that passes as real.

3. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

So, you are critical of a company making a profit.

4. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

Gibson sounds just like Apple, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Nike, Under Armor, all reinventing their product line to continue to be profitable.

As our forum brother thinks that Gibson has not been able to produce anything much new and valuable, they don't need to.

We here on this forum, are critical, and loving of the Gibson line. They do not get a pass on production issues, or quality. But,,,,,,, no one can compete with them. They sell more guitars than your favorite ten boutique guys combined, they produce an enormous amount of guitars that do NOT have quality issues. If the boutique guys produced the same number of instruments there would be a significant increase in their quality issues as well. If my company produces 200 guitars a year, you bet your bum they all should be absolutely perfect, and how many of us wouldn't have the availability of their perfect instruments, only the rich and famous would own them.

I have had Gibson guitars that cost under 500 dollars compete with guitars of any price, and my resale will dwarf any off brand that competes with Gibson.

Why people think they have an understanding of what REALLY goes on at Gibson baffles me, we don't.

I know I root against the bad ideas, and support the good ones with my purchasing power, that's all you can do to control quality, resale, and the longevity of any company.

5. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

Perhaps....but I like Gibson's guitar manufacturing strategy a million times better than Fender.

When I had my retail guitar shop in the 90's, the first, and NUMBER ONE question from Fender customers was......Where's it made?

How embarrassing.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    mudface, Sct13, RAG7890 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jer

Jer Member

Your Trad looks amazing, really good fade on the burst. I wish I could find a decent luthier where I live. Or better yet afford the tools to do it myself.

7. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Makeovers suck image000000.jpg

8. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

Looks great Crotch!!

Other than the different colored pickup bobbins I don't see much difference from a beautiful stock Les Paul.

I know the makeover places change some things to be more cosmetically historically accurate but tonally I have a hard time believing it makes any difference.

I personally am all about play and tone. Could care less otherwise cosmetically accurate, especially for HM prices.

9. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

LOL!

Crotch likes this.
  10. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I hear ya and not going to argue cause to each their own. All I know is I'll take this 100 times over a stock Braz board LP from 2017 or a TH. I paid less for this than what those go for. And that includes every single part upgraded for the better.

bossaddict, alnico59, Sct13 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sct13

Slam dunk.....

Every time I see this I start to think....gee...maybe I should have my HM ...Re--- HM'd or just the color anyway .....:hyper:

Crotch likes this.
  12. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just .... Do It .... ^^^ Crotch , Great Pic :cheers2:

Sct13 likes this.
  13. GearHo

GearHo Premium Member

Herein lies the most ironic thing about les Paul's, we would want a real 59 to have all its stock parts, that is the preferred objective.

Then along comes a historic that is supposed to be "just like the original", and we proceed to change every part possible including a refin, to make it "just like the original "

We always want what we can't have, unobtainium is the most desired part of these guitars...

14. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I changed many things on all my guitars. Have one in the shop as we speak. However I'm starting to have R-E-S-P-E-C-T when I see an older Historic ('93-'03) that is bone stock. I think next time around I'll try my best to find one I can leave alone. The hardest part for me will be leaving the stock pickups in.

rogue3, Sct13 and FKO like this.
  15. Sct13

My 2003 R9 had some of the best BB's I ever heard....it was an excellent guitar...if I see it for sale again, I'll probably snatch it back

musicmaniac likes this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Unobtanium keeps a lot of people in employment IMHO, from small cottage industries, one man bands, to larger companies.

What's really funny now is the BRW thing............members who said you don't need it have now ordered one. That's funny IMHO.

:cheers2:

jamman and FKO like this.
  17. Sct13

Exactly.....

18. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Certainly don't need one... but i WANT one. lol

Sct13 and RAG7890 like this.
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Yeah, I agree with you but at least you were honest about it.

Members carried on about the BRW BS over the last 2 - 3 years & as I said they are now on the bandwagon.

Talk about changing your mind.......I used to be indecisive but now I’m not so sure. :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers2:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    FKO likes this.
  20. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I think all that happened from 2014 up to the unveiling of BRW has to be taken into consideration. The big picture. The shenanigans were all part of a setup and why some have changed course. Intentional or not, a little manipulation was involved. The sky was falling. Then a play on names making some very sour. Now look what we have! Have to admit it was a rollercoaster ride. Again, first world problems. But that's what we do here.