End of Makeovers

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Schofnsteen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Have you ever owned a True Historic?

2. JimmyAce2006

$10K for the Gibson all day long. I could never live with the fact that the other one is not a Gibson and the resale market is very limited.

3. KissGuitar

KissGuitar Senior Member

I do agree with this, but I wanted to add that I never expected a Historical to feel so much better to me than my standards, so it is worth exploring your individual tastes beyond a set amount of value within reason. I had this same theory before I bought and fell in love with my historics.

That being said, I don't believe a Braz board would be important to me, but if the overall guitar was spot on to my tastes, then and only then would I consider the $10K. :)

4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

No John, I’m a Replica nut as you know, with vintage PU’s.

A few friends have owned them, liked them, sold them & kept their Replicas.

One friend in particular has owned them all, including several Vintage Les Pauls, one of which is a Burst. He’s sold everything & kept one of his Replicas where Les Pauls are concerned.

He might elaborate here but probably not.

I have no doubt there are some great TH’s out there but for my money I’m not buying the BS. Selling me the Vintage correct wet hand sanded finish & hide glue for the Maple Top is laughable at best.

Cheers, Rudi.

Jer, winexprt, 6077dino and 1 other person like this.
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I agree with you here but in my case my keepers don’t get sold & a Replica I did sell I broke about even on.

HM’s are different as most seem to lose money on them.

Depends on what you paid I suppose, as I keep saying if you’re on a sweetheart deal you can buy & flip many times over in a year. It’s like the never ending pump & dump.

:cheers2:

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  6. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I could. I've know several people with the maker's guitar that I posted about, and while you won't make money, the money lost in re-sale ranged from trivial to zero.

RAG7890 likes this.
  7. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

I would buy a GY and a few others before I spent 10k on a Gibson, but I totally understand the inclination to want a Gibson. Granted, a GY isn't an exact (doesn't say Gibson), but it's all about the woods for me, and Gibson can't really compete with small builders as they are a factory. While I think that Gibson doing Braz boards again is a total sellout by Henry, with their precarious financial situation, I think they need to do whatever they can to try and stay afloat, if for nothing else than to save many jobs.

6077dino likes this.
  8. JimmyAce2006

So you are going off hearsay. I see how it is! To each his own.

9. JimmyAce2006

To each his own. That is why we have so many options. The debate is never ending, and pointless. To say one is better than the other is very subjective on many of the comparisons we are talking about.

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Not not hearsay, there are a few people I happen to trust re feedback on Guitars I can’t access here, like a TH. I haven’t seen one yet.

End of the day I am very happy with my Replicas.

I don’t need the bogus wet sanded Vintage correct (not) BS sales pitch finish.

I prefer this............

image.jpeg

image 3.jpeg

Cheers, Rudi.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Jer, winexprt, fleahead and 4 others like this.
  11. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

As long as we as individuals are happy, that is all that matters. If you prefer replica builds, Gibsons, etc... it is all good IMO.

I personally prefer my Gibsons tonally but I have no argument for those that prefer a replica build Les Paul. To each their own.

Sct13 and RAG7890 like this.
  12. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

After playing a few good replica's there isn't much of a difference at all....I did play one that neck was squarish.....but if the builder is good at his craft .....

13. Schofnsteen

Schofnsteen Member

[​IMG]
    NO regrets

winexprt, pinefd, Sct13 and 1 other person like this.
  14. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I wish you could play mine Vic, I really do. There’s a difference alright.

FWIW, there are Replicas...........& their are Replicas. Like all Guitars, some are not created equal. Frank knows what I’m talking about. :)

I’m not saying that works for everyone but after ~ 30 Les Pauls from Gibson it worked for me.

Cheers, Rudi.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Jer, winexprt, pinefd and 1 other person like this.
  15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

You don't actually need to own a TH to know what is not 'vintage accurate' about them....which was what your original quoted posts were about.
    Tonally of course each guitar is individual......and no amount of accurate plastic (or not) makes a difference to the core of the guitar. Replicas just enable you to get as close to the originals as you see fit.

Jer, 6077dino and RAG7890 like this.
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

No , Not a chance . BRW will not be Gibson's norm ... and the up charge ain't cheap ... IMO ,Still a better value having your best get a MO ..
    As nice as a Gibson CS guitar is(and I like them) , an HM and the time put into each guitar done , can't be compared to the Gibson Production line build ....

Jer likes this.
  17. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

Rudi,

I want that Goldtop! Yummy

RAG7890 likes this.
  18. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

There will always for and against for having refinishing or ageing, upgrading, relic'ng. The list could go on. But I'm more than certain it won't add any monetary value to it. So the will only be self value. That is good if you keep it. And the pics I've seen I understand why people have there guitars done.
    But if you buy this stuff from Gibson already done( errelitive if anyone thinks its not as good as paying extra to have another company do it) it will to an extent hold it monetary value far better.
    That brings me on to another thought. Why buy a reissue to then have all that extra stuff done? When you could get a standard prouction lp and save money then have all the extra stuff done. I'm sure you would end up with the same exceptional guitar.
    I just can' get my head around spending an excecive amount of money on a reissue that in the owners eyes isn't perfect and then spends more money making perfection and have a guitar that is nothing like what you paid for in the first place.
    When I got my r8 I was looking for a guitar that was something like what someone would have seen on the racking 1958. Even though I ended up with a vid. I didn' want a guitar that looked nearly 60 years old and been round the block a few hundred times. If not the world I some cases lol.
    I know its each to there own and i beleve in that as everyone has there own idea of what it shoud be. But why buy a reissue in the first place if its going to be chaged from what gibson meant it to be. If a standard was use instead you would still end up with the same exceptional guitar except with out the custom shop r.

19. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

People do it to cars, motorcycles, boats and homes all the time. There's always room for improvement, modifications and personalization. Guitars are no different.

Maybe you're the type that if you bought a house you would leave the existing paint and carpet intact. Hey, it's good enough. Others, including myself, would repaint, rip up the carpet and install hardwood floors and porcelain tile through out.

The why is some people have higher standards and a larger wallet.

20. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I get that. But I don' think someone would buy a rolls Royce and then relic it so that it looks like it' done the Dakar to Paris run.
    And I see our reissues the rolls Royce of guitars.
    Im not trying to knock people for what they do. I would most prob have it done my self if I had the money( and not doing my victorian house up with period features lol)they do look nice.