End of Makeovers

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Schofnsteen, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Many people view them as counterfeits and wouldn't sink a dime into one.

frankv and Pappy58 like this.
  2. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

Which they are, really.

Pappy58 likes this.
  3. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Yep! Um humm.

4. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

Makeovers are always going to appeal to those who cannot accept that a stock guitar is a great guitar. I sometimes wonder if you gave some folks a real 59 and told them it was a reissue that they wouldn't send it to HM to make it more vintage accurate.

5. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I say whatever floats your boat. I know some guys who buy and buy, and never change a pickup. Then there are others I know (like me) who only have several guitars but just as much money tied up.

6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Not unless Gibson figures out a way to literally clone vintage LPs?

Hell, they actually have access to a variety of '50s LPs, and still can't get them right.

In other words; Not a snowball's chance...

7. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I think the exact opposite.....it could INCREASE business for both HM type of places AND for replica builders. You can't send Gibson your existing guitar to have them make it over. If you have a guitar you love, and you want a more accurate guitar, or are just jonesing for a different look, are you going to spend 10k on a Gibson, or 2-3k getting the one you already know you love to play made over? Easy choice for me. I have never paid over $4300 for a R9, up to and including the 2014's. Add 3k, I'm at $7300.....ahead by $2700.

A buddy of mine recently purchased a DAMN nice replica for under 5k. Could have fooled me. Excellent flame, great feel, and all of the right build materials. So again, $4800 for that, or 10k for a Gibson?

Jer, BadMojo and mudface like this.
  8. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

I am just happy having my reissue. I don' want a 58/59 replica right down to the last detail. I feel privalged to own such a fine guitar as it is. I don' need brw or aged nitro.

9. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Hmmm ok. Well, from a pragmatic standpoint, all looks pretty much a psychological thing to me, maybe also connected to the fact that HM has now a good name and market, since as soon as you change fretboard wood, fret wire, headstock veener and logo, neck carve, body carve, finish, paint, hardware, pups, plastics etc etc... they are both not original and genuine Gibson.

I know logic doesn't apply to market. :)

mudface likes this.
  10. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I have a replica of a '58 sunburst Strat that was built in the mid 80's. It's by far the best Strat I have ever played! I can't disclosed who built it. But I'll say he's big time now and building 4k super Strats. I paid 1500 from a friend when times were much, much better. I played it that day and had to buy it on the spot. Sold a sweet 1987 AVRI '57 Fender Strat to pony up. I'd be lucky if I could squeak 600-700 out of the replica today. Where as that '57 RI would bring a profit. And that's the problem with replicas.

Although this current market is forcing a buy and hold approach. So it might be a non issue anyway.

11. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I wish I could trade all my historics for this
    [​IMG]

12. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I totally agree with you on this, it would be less a gibson than some replicas, but it would still be fun to do. Afterall it's a personal thing, not something for resale.........truly custom guitar........you gotta have at least one of those in your arsenal. Having a proven foundation to start with (a decent reissue) is a good way to start. As long as it's not "Romeo Rose" custom, it's all good.:D

freebyrd 69 and PierM like this.
  13. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Top carve
    Mazzucchelli inlays
    Les Paul Signature script
    Gibson logo
    Nitro formula
    Fret size
    Pot taper
    PIO caps
    Pickup covers
    Pickguard gap
    Accurate cold weather aging
    Vintage correct colors

That's pretty much what I remember from hanging out with Kim at HM for around 30 minutes one afternoon.

Looks like HM isn't hurting the resale value, this is just a standard makeover at Wildwood:
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...e-aged-painted-historic-makeovers/?cat_id=242

Jer and dwk302 like this.
  14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

I think it's a bloody expensive gamble, because you don't know how the guitar will feel when going back to home. You bought a guitar that will never feel the same as it was when it left your house. And if you didn't like the way it was, why not just sell and find a better one for you, instead paying twice for the "same" guitar. :beer:

mudface likes this.
  15. mudface

mudface Senior Member

It is....as long as you don't bond with the guitar before the makeover, like i did with my 2012 (it ain't going to no makeover), it ain't no different than a M2M. Yes it's a lot of dough,.....but hey YOLO.:cool:

freebyrd 69 and PierM like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

That is perfectly fine Bob. I've had some great Gibson Historics too but they don't touch my current Guitars..........for me.

We all have different tastes / wants / needs / desires etc. when it comes to Guitars.

Guitar buying by members on this Forum & elsewhere is not an exercise in logical thinking IMHO.

We're also spoiled for options these days.

Cheers, Rudi

landguitar, thinkgreen and PierM like this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.......................yep, 7ucking great ones. :p :D

I'll put my '54 GT up against ANY Historic, HM or Vintage GT...............& have. ;)

:cheers2:

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

On a serious note, HM won't disappear, neither will Replicas, neither will stock Historics or modified Historics.

Some like to try different things, some like to tinker, some like the vibe of a HM or a Replica & some are happy with the stock Historic.

It is like Cars........some of us change the Exhaust, upgrade the Suspension, improve the Brakes & change the Wheels / Tires.

Other get in their Car & just drive it.

People are not going to change. An abundance of choice and spare cash will have members looking at all options.

The only thing people need to be aware of is that resale is usually best with a stock Historic but even those prices have fallen dramatically. If you have a killer deal with a store you can roll Guitars.

HM's & Replicas often lose some money, unless you happen to have one of the Replicas that are highly sought after, like an Italian Job etc.

End of the day what are a you buying............a Guitar to play or a Guitar to flip?

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

19. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Hack Guitarist Premium Member

Bottom line is Gibson would have to make hundreds if not thousands of braz board guitars to kill the makeover market. Like mentioned above they are still missing the mark on a lot of the finer details that the makeovers get right. Plus most people aren't shelling out 10k for a guitar. However some people can swallow 6-7k for a makeover all in. I would love a factory braz and could afford one but just not putting $10k into something that will not make me sound or play any better. Would much rather 3 $3,300 guitars.

Jer, endial, Pappy58 and 2 others like this.
  20. DanD

DanD Senior Member

I knows that rug. It screams overpriced!