Elliot Easton Talks About The History Of The Gibson SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by FLICKOFLASH, Aug 27, 2007.

1. M.T. Pockets

M.T. Pockets V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Page & Easton=Apples & Oranges

'tis hardly a surprise that Mr Page is held in such high regard by folks on a Les Paul forum.

I think we're being very narrow minded to say Page is a God and let others go unheralded.

I would offer Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Joe Pass, Scottie More, Jerry Reed, Roy Clark, and countless others who are/were just as "good" and influenced just as many folks as JP.

Believe it or not, JP had no influence on me. I listened to Zep, but I was playing acoustic music at the time.

When I started playing pro, I played country.

So, somehow, I've made it this far without ever learning to play Zep tunes.

It's all good.

It would be a mighty boring world if we all played like JP.

2. overdriver

overdriver Banned

he played a three pup white custom from time to time as well as a flying V:thumb: Page most often played a Tele and LP. I think

3. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

I have pictures of Jimi playing a white SG Custom. I met Jimi when he was still Jimmy James, and played a Tele. :D

Attached Files:

4. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I love Jimmy's work, but grew up with Elliott's music coming out of the radio.

"Best Friend's Girl" and "Just What I Needed" come to mind instantly as leads that were perfect for the song. Elliott can shred with the best of them, but seems to prefer writing and playing exactly what the song calls for.

He's also one of the only "Made it" guitar players that comes on forums to share his knowledge and experience. I admire that.

You got to give him his due. :)

BB

5. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Elliot Easton is a fine enough player. Fun and to the point on studio albums, and he can string out some nice longer solos in concert. Playing for the song is a manner very under appreciated by folks who want guitar gods.

I gotta agree too that Page is put on such a pedestal here that it is almost embarrassing. :eek2::)
    Same with Clapton.:wtf:
    But they are both important players that molded our times. Neither move me much, but I love a Page riff now and then and really do love Clapton with a Gibson, not so much his last thirty years with a Strat though.

So many more players out there. Heck, one of the best, Danny Gatton killed himself in despair. Lots of personalities out there and some get crushed by the business and just don't last.
    Danny Gatton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I grew up outside Boston and knew plenty of Berklee people in the '70's. Too many of them were aloof, while some were the most talented grounded musicians I've ever met.:thumb:

My Jazz teacher in high school was a Berklee grad and he definitely tried to make us turn from rock and go bebop. I loved him introducing Charlie Parker to us. Good times there:thumb:

He was a bit of an opinionated one though ( He was from Berklee after all, where it was sink or swim as he'd say ). He told us bending notes was a weakness and a sign of an immature player. To him a player bending and sustaining was wasting space and out of ideas. He never said that of Miles Davis though........just us lowly guitar players with our Univox Les Pauls:rofl:

6. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

True... True... but Page played some mean acoustic as well. I take a listen to Zep III when I'm in an acoustic mood.

7. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

Lot's of folks act like Page just dropped out of the ether and started playing Led Zeppelin tunes. Neverminding the fact that he played for years (plural) on all the hit's coming out of Britain in the mid-sixties.

8. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

I second that remark! So true. Ya gotta be rounded...soak up all the influences. Play like "you" !

9. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Elliot leaves out more notes with his tasteful playing than most players bore us with.
    He is the consummate pop player,realizing what a solo should do for a song---support it,not hijack it.

10. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

I like that phrase. " Hijack it":applause::thumb:

Sums up the Eighties if you ask me! Ok, and certainly some of the late Sixties and Seventies.
    The Nineties almost had no solos in pop. But that is another thread...........

11. doublecut

doublecut Senior Member

I don't know how it goes from Elliot Easton talking about SG's to Page and Clapton.

Elliot Easton is a hard rock and country mix with Roy Buchanan influences.
    Elliot has got some of the best timing and phrasing I have heard. Just try to play the Shake It Up Solo the RIGHT way. There is the blues and country scales mixed together with playing around the melody phrasing and timing.

Elliot's even been an influence on Slash

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=110

"Who are some of your more obscure guitar inspirations?
    -Shawn Henry

I like the Pretenders’ James Honeyman-Scott; the Cars’ Elliot Easton, who is one of the best lead players of the last 25 years; Joe Walsh, who’s one of the best rock and roll guitar players of all time; and the Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones. I’m also a fan of Elvis Presley’s guitarist Scotty Moore and (surf-rock guitarist) Dick Dale – to this day I haven’t had the balls to sit down and learn one of his songs. And I shouldn’t forget David Lindley, who played with Jackson Browne for years. It might surprise some people to hear me say it, but the dude is incredible."

Clapton was a harder Blues recycler. Page was a Blues recycler with some English folk music thrown in. IMO it's best to bypass Clapton and Page and go back to Muddy Waters etc. Back to before the 60s. There were so many great Blues and Country players before Clapton and Page got their first guitar. This is where Clapton and Page got most of their stuff from and in quite a lot of cases, directly lift licks and ideas.

12. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Senior Member

This is what I wanted to say.:applause: The reason EE is so under rated, is because of the pop music in which his playing resides. Don't get me wrong I love the cars, but if history was changed and EE ended up playing for a more guitar based band, his talent wouldn't be over looked so much.

13. VIREBEL661

VIREBEL661 Senior Member

I'm a lefty, so much props to Elliot for this simple fact alone! When I think about the Cars I always think of Phoebe Cates "Moving In Stereo" :D...

Attached Files:

14. VIREBEL661

VIREBEL661 Senior Member

Attached Files:

15. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Seriously bothered by your insistence upon placing Perry and Slash in the same category as Page.

16. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

Sure, Clapton was in a league of his own, then he formed a new one: "The Pussy League."

His music post '78 or so just turned to crap. It's like he went into reverse manhood.

17. Serial

Serial Senior Member

EE is one of the most tasteful players I've ever heard. I'll echo the "less is more" sentiment above-he's one of my all-time favorite players. I'm a Page fan too. I'll disagree with the "apples and oranges"-more like "apples and spaceships", but both are brilliant to my mind.

Clapton?

Yawn. More yawn as he got on. My musical center is based in the 70s, so I'll never "get" Clapton and believe me, I've tried for 30+ years. Perry AND Whitford are heroes of mine as is Honeyman-Scott. All different types and styles.

18. TheJrAce

TheJrAce Senior Member

Truly love what Easton did with the cars, great leads and timing. My close friend's dad is actually really good friends with EE and has been for quite a while.

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Todd R. is one of the most underrated guitarists in the world. I saw him play in Philly when he was 17, 18 in The Nazz, and even at that point critics were mentioning Todd's name in the same breath as Clapton.

And I fully agree with you about Elliot. He plays with economy and it sounds like he always knows exactly where he's going in his solos. His work on the first Cars album in particular put the lie to rock guitarists being able to play in 'New Wave' bands. He rocked that record.

- D

20. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

:thumb: I grew with all the late 60's guitarist aswell but, having EE in the Cars is what made them appealing to me, as opposed to just another new wave band, as they were called at the time. I always found his solos to be memorable and tastefullly melodic.