Elixir strings

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Adamc, Mar 4, 2018.

1. peterjc

peterjc Senior Member

I’ve tried them and they were ok but to me it’s like putting a condom on your strings:rofl:im with others they don’t feel right under your fingers! Less grip I suppose.

I know they last longer but they still get gunk on them like every other string and not changing strings for a long time is detrimental to the frets imo.

Can’t beat a new set of uncoated strings... Changing them regularly is no problem as it gives me a chance to keep the fretboard and frets clean and free of gunk which can rob tone just as easy. Cheers

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Liked your post just for this line.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

I've been using Optiwebs on my electrics and Nanoweb phosphor bronze on my acoustics for the last year. No complaints with either, they last 5 times as long and hold their tone for the life of the string. I think they sound great, but then I don't really like overly bright and tinny or strings that only hold their tone for a week before they go stale.

Personally I like the feel of them. Optiwebs feel like regular strings with a bit of glide to them and the nanowebs make my acoustics a little more comfortable to play and easier on the fingers. They also reduce string sqeak and fret wear. I don't mind changing strings, but I don't like changing them just because they lose their tone in a week or corrode in a month on a stored guitar.

Gunk on strings doesn't seem to be a problem with a conscientiously applied personal hygiene program :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

To my ears, Elixir strings sound like an untreated set of strings that are about half way through their lifespan. I used them for a couple years when my work schedule made it hard for me to play through an amp consistently. When I switched back to "regular" strings I detected a noticeable improvement in tone.

As with any gear, we all have our own ears and what we hear is subjective. I'm glad we have options unlike players in the beginning of electrified guitars.

Macronaut and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. Guitpicky

Guitpicky Senior Member

Sounds like a shocking experience. Possibly a little less painful tho with insulated strings :)

Lungo likes this.
  6. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I never went that far. I've read plenty about them and never gave them a chance. I did try D'Addario EXP coated. They are made differently, with the coating on the wrap before the string is actually made. They just did not cut it - odd feel, disconnected tone.

Coated string users - take a look at old strings under magnification. The coating wears off and can flake where it contacts the frets.

Martin makes a chemically treated string called Lifespan. No coating - I've looked at used strings under a 50x microscope. These are actually quite good. After experimentations with D'Addario EJ38, I've come to prefer the Lifespan sound on my 12 string.

7. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

I was hearing "electrified guitars" in Strother Martin's voice in Cool Hand Luke as I typed that. Made sense at the time. :laugh2:

8. Thumpalumpacus

Even though they were the same gauge as the D'Adds, the Elixirs didn't drive the top anywhere near what the D'Adds did.

9. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Yep. Great acoustic tone is deceptively complex. The balance between the various parameters are quite narrow at times. Throw the balance off and you have less than great tone.

Some of those same qualities carry over to solid body electrics, but there is a lot more "wiggle" room for lack of a better word.

10. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

have been using Elixir nano's on acoustics for some time, I like that they settle in quick without that over bright sizzle you get with a lot of new strings and true to what they claim they last ages. Change 'em when they get hairy

11. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Been using Elixir nanowebs for years and years.

Nowadays, I prefer Pyramid strings (nickel plated and pure nickel) on my go-to guitars and Elixir on the less used ones.
    Pyramids, if treated right (GHS fastfret or similar and wipe after every use) last a hell of a long time.
    And this comes from someone who sweats acid lol!
    That was the reason I switched to Elixir in the first place.

Elixir strings, due to the coating, have a less of a natural decay.
    How noticable the above is and how bothersome for that matter, depends on the ears of the beholder.

12. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

I have been using nanowebs for years. Sniff all the cork that you want, but the only thing that I notice is that they don't rot away after a few hours of play. For me, that's important. I have zero complaints about their tone, feel or sonic quality. They are just fine.

I always change them before each gig, but outside of that I can get a few weeks of use from them, before they start to go dead. Longer, if I don't play as often.

JesseXGibson likes this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Well, distaste is not corkery, necessarily.

Lungo and northernguitarguy like this.
  14. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

I'll get right to it!

In case it has gone unnoticed, I still use nanowebs.
    Still like them for what they are, but, for the reasons I have mentioned - plus their excellent tuning stability and unbreakability - I prefer Pyramids for my go-to guitars.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I mainly use Gibson Reissue for my Les Paul and NYXL for other guitars.. However, I used Exilir once on the Ibanez I guess and they were good... not so special to make me Exilir exclusive but they were very good.. I recently tried Fender strings on my Tele.. I much like their softness but they break easily !

16. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah, not sure how my $4 strings make me a cork sniffer, while $14 strings are keeping it real?

Lungo and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  17. Thumpalumpacus

I know, right? My $5 Boomers on my Ibanez AS ... how snooty of me!

18. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

Not confusing cost with cork would be a good start.

"The toanz of coated strings is not open, free and complex", is corksniffery.

19. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Tried them a few times years ago, never liked them...

20. Thumpalumpacus

You realize that not everyone who dislikes these strings is saying that, right?

SteveC and northernguitarguy like this.