Elixir strings

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Adamc, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Adamc

Adamc Member

Hi guys, just tried my first set of elixir strings. After 22 years of playing guitar I’ve never tried them. I actually love them, I’ve always played with EB, or didarrio, but these just seem to fit with my LP. Anyone have any opinions on these strings? Just curious. Thanks in advance

2. Bend'n'Slide

Bend'n'Slide Senior Member

I have a set (bronze-wound) on my old Ovation acoustic -- generally fairly impressed.

The coating doesn't appear to have affected the tone; they still sound bright and fresh and the longevity seems good.

Not tried an electric set yet but very tempted to get some nickel-wound and try them.

3. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

I don't use any others since I tryed the Elixirs, they last forever.

Stone Free likes this.
  4. Adamc

Adamc Member

That’s how I feel so far, they were a bit more expensive, but being that they last longer I figured it’s worth it. To me they sound great as well

5. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Former elixir user. I use d'addario NYXLs now.

Word of caution on Elixir's acoustic strings, they have two different coating styles. One of the versions just plain sucks, destroys the tone. The other version is okay.

6. Stone Free

Stone Free Junior Member

the electric strings are the same, they have the nanoweb and the polyweb. My plebeian understanding is that the polyweb has a thicker coating that makes them last longer, but the thinner coating on the nanoweb gives them a brighter sound. The thicker coating tends to be less pleasant to my ear.

I'm not too sure about the optiweb ones yet. I haven't really had a chance to try 'em out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  7. Adamc

Adamc Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I got the brighter sounding ones. I’ll just have to see how they hold up

8. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

Yep, just get the nano's. But I only use them on my acoustics. So :dunno:

9. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Senior Member

I used to always use Ernie ball slinky’s wether it’s 9-10-11 gauge. I switched to elixirs 4 years ago and never looked back, and havnt bought another pack of anything else since. polywebs and the newer optiwebs are my favorite strings

Adamc likes this.
  10. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I've thought about trying them on my LP. I love the nanos on my Taylor koa acoustic. It seems like most people are slinky or d-addario users, and I'm lazy enough that I don't want to be switching out strings unless they need it

11. kherman

kherman Senior Member

I like Elixir Nanowebs. Especially, on my guitars with stainless steel frets. Talk about effortless bending. Effortless playing , period.

12. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Coated strings? I know they are very popular, but I'm not a fan.

13. smd24fan

smd24fan Senior Member

I love them, the Nanoweb Custom Light 9-46 in particular. I have them on all of my guitars. They last forever and stay nice and bright sounding.

14. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

I got a Taylor 314 in 2002 with Elixirs on. So I tried Elixirs for my Les Paul. Haven't used anything else since. Absolutely superb. :dude:

15. Adamc

Adamc Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

16. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

I’ve used Nanoweb lights (10-46) for years now. Love ‘em: smooth feel, less “screech” when you move hand position, they last for ages and I cannot remember when I last broke a string since switching to them.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I tried Elixirs on my acoustic as an experiment, couldn't stand the tone ... it was emasculated. I went back to D'Addario 12s.

18. fix6661

fix6661 Member

Right from the start I've been using Ernie Ball strings. But at some point I've got tired of them losing their brightness dramatically a couple of weeks after changing. And I'm not picky when it comes to sound, and I play at home all the time, and, well... my hands are not sweaty :)
    So I decided to try something else and bought Elixir Nanowebs, and been using them ever since. I change them only after a string breaks. The sound is good for me and it degrades very slowly, so that I don't even notice that.
    I tried the Ernie Ball Cobalt at some point, but did not like the sound at all. In fact, I restringed my guitar a week later, 'cause I couldn't stand the sound.

19. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Same.

Can buy three to five sets of uncoated strings for the same price. Changing them out is a five minute no big deal.

Doesn't seem like the technology has been widely adopted by players which on its own says something.

I get stopping corrosion is a benefit. I don't get the introduction of a material into the string windings being beneficial to tone especially as mentioned above on acoustic.

20. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

This. Would rather change strings every week with heavy play than use coated strings. They don't feel right under the fingers.