Elitists - Is the Tak Matsumoto "top of the line"?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Yoooder, Dec 6, 2009.

1. air5mjp

air5mjp Junior Member

Do you live in Valley Station?... Im in First Quality all of the time....

2. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Nah, over towards Hillview--between 65 and 265. Only head over that way to stop by FQM usually

3. ken374

ken374 Senior Member

dam nice tonez

4. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

So I finally got around to breaking the warranty on my Tak :D

I was putting Bee's back in my ObG R7 which meant I could use the Gudeman PIO's as hand-me-down's, so they went into the Tak.

The stock caps were really pitiful, and the Gudeman's added some nice warmth and butter to the tone of the guitar; although I should probably play with some different types to see if they better match the alnico BB's.

...still love this LP...

5. Bill437

Bill437 Member

I have one of these and have seen reference that the dimensions closely (Accurately?) follow Gibson specs.

When the Tak Elite Matsomoto Signature hasn't been interfered with, which model Gibson Les Paul are they closest to for comparison given the Gibson Burstbuckers?

6. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

While the flame/quilt on the Elitist LP's is veneer, they do have a solid maple top.

I wasn't overly charmed by the stock pickups in my Elitist LP. Not because they were bad. But because they didn't do what I wanted them to do. IMO, the Burstbuckers are probably more functional pickups over all. I'm happy with the Manlius pickups I have in my LP now and don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.

7. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Good question, I'm really not sure. I presume yours has the same neck profile as mine, which is probably a good place to start in comparison. I'm not well enough versed in the different profiles to say what it is, but it feels medium-thin, relatively flat on the back, and the fretboard radius is on the flat side as well.

I need a better Gibson shop in the area so I can go compare and contrast profiles :D

8. Bill437

Bill437 Member

There are a few music shops around me but they are a bit uppity if you actually want to play any of the pricier models especially Gibsons...even with the cheaper Korean epis they almost hang onto them in case you drop them...Glad I'm not actually in the market at the moment because the attitude (But I can't really blame them either) really p****s me off, I feel like saying "Hey I'm trying to spend some money here back off" :)

Right now I'm around the stores trying out some small amps...and that's another story in it's self.

When I get time tomorrow I'll get a tape measure and take some measurements of the neck on mine and come back and compare what we've got at least.

9. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Shops that don't let you touch the merch suck. I miss Elderly in Michigan and First Quality Music in Louisville. Both have the basic "if you can reach it, you can play it" rule.

FQMS was my favorite find for guitar shops in Louisville, it's a warehouse with a surprisingly nice business up front. I found my TakBurst there, it was a "floor model" which had probably been hanging on the wall for close to three years, but 100% mint--got it on clearance and couldn't believe the condition (or that they still had a brand new Elitist in stock in 2010).

10. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I actually got scolded for taking a guitar off the wall in a store once. Who do they think is going to buy a guitar they can't play?

I haven't been back.

11. Bill437

Bill437 Member

Measurements;

At the nut measured from face of fret board around back of neck to the face of fret board is 7Cm (70mm)

At the 12th fret measured the same way 7.8Cm (78mm)

Width of fret board at Nut is 4.3Cm (43mm)

Width of fret board at 12th fret is 5Cm (50mm)

Curve/camber of fret board at nut is approx 1mm.

Curve/camber of fret board at 12th fret is approx 1.5mm.

Back of the neck is 'flattish' compared to my other guitars.

I understand the Taks exported (New) to the US and other markets have the 'Tombstone' headstock and the ones sold into the Japanese domestic market have the 'Open book' headstock.

Also the MIJ Elite Tak Matsumoto Signature LP for the domestic market has a long tenon neck but I saw somewhere that the export model only had the short tenon neck...why?

But, hey this is the internet, and someone will pass by any minute to correct any of the above:)

12. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Interesting, especially the neck tenon bit.

My Tak is in hiding at the moment, but I think I'll dig it out over the weekend to compare the neck measurements and restring it so I have th chance to pull the pickups and check the neck--will grab a couple photos if I think of it.

13. Bill437

Bill437 Member

I've never pulled the Pups to see if my 2003 Epiphone Tak is veneer or not but it is heavy, I did weigh it once from memory it was 9+lbs.

I believe they were very closely speced to the 59 Gibson LP.

Mine also has the Gibson style 'Open Book' head stock indicating it was made for the Japanese Local Market and only to be sold in Japan, however they could be sold 'used' and I bought mine in Perth Western Australia.
    The ones with the Epiphone 'Tombstone' headstock were exported mainly to the USA.

14. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

This is a necro I approve of!