Elitists - Is the Tak Matsumoto "top of the line"?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Yoooder, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Just curious... based on the limited Tak Matsumoto's I've seen for sale it looks like they're regularly priced a good whack above other Elitists (most Elitists I see go for $750-$1000, the Tak's I've seen are $1200 to $1500).

Anyone know if it's due to the fact that they're a signature guitar in the Elitist line, or perhaps the crazy tops on them, or (if I understand correctly) the signature electronics? Or any other reason?

The_Sentry likes this.
  2. djwilbanks

djwilbanks V.I.P. Member

It's just the extra appointments and the "rarity" as far as I know. Sure, the crazy top may cost more, the "better" electronics, etc. But I bet you're paying more for it just being what it is.

3. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

I think it's just the aesthetics that are different. But I could be wrong. Either way, you are going to want to change the electronics out for a Jonesy kit and New pickups if you really want a great sounding guitar.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I think that they had Burstbucker pickups. The quilt top and black binding are the major differences.

But, yes, they were the most expensive of the Elitist line - and the most collectible now.

5. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

thanks for the info, guys

I asked on another thread (or two) but does anyone know if these are veneers and/or chambered? Haven't heard anything conclusive; I suspect the veneer over slab, but the chambering has me curious. Playing it today I don't recall the weight being striking, but some other Gibsons felt like bricks--so maybe

6. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

veneer yes, chambering no (at least not on any I've felt)... the Tak is a good guitar but it's not much different than the other Elitists.

7. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Yeah, the quilt top is a veneer. I would just suggest a regular elitist. The abalone inlays are too much for me anyways.

8. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

I've been thinking of getting a plain top Elitist, but considering a Takburst more as a short-term investment... or at least the first Elitist. There's a new one hanging in a hole-in-the-wall; going to go over it with a finetooth comb tomorrow and as long as there's not much showroom wear I'll probably pick it up tomorrow.

9. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Had to pull the trigger; even with 2 years hanging in the showroom it's mint, serial #F700777 and #7 in my collection--so it's #7, perhaps lucky #7. Plays far sweeter than I hoped, and just ugly enough that I might have to keep it for a while.

Attached Files:

10. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Gorgeous. That guitar is damn incredible. Hows it stack up to some of your others?

11. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Going to need a couple days to get over the "it's the newest bestest ever" excitement, but it's definately smooth and quick and the burstbuckers sound really nice. Between it, my Schecter, and the 57 Reissue I think I'm pretty well set--the other guitars *could* go, but that won't be happening any time too soon

12. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

I'll have to consider it but the electronics that come stock are surprisingly good. The knobs and switch are all quiet and smooth--I haven't pulled the cover off to see what size pots are hiding in there but they're definately solid.

My understanding is that the pickups are true Gibson Burstbuckers, a 2 and a 3. The bridge is smooth and full sounding with just a little bite if you attack it; the neck is definately on the hot side but not insane.

All-in-all I'm amazed by this thing... granted it's a bit homely and I agree that the abalone inlays are a bit too much, but I'd love to have some more senior members and players on here give it the blindfold review. Really the only thing that I think could use an upgrade on it immediately is the tuners; they could be a little smoother.

13. KristenC

KristenC Junior Member

I was recently left a Les Paul signature series Tak Matsumoto guitar in canary yellow and would very much like to sell it. As I know absolutely nothing about them - what should I consider asking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is in mint condition and was not used very often and it has a giant case. Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

14. Willncarolina09

Willncarolina09 Senior Member

Hi Kristen.
    Would that be a GIBSON Tak Matsumoto in yellow? The EPIPHONE version mentioned here run around $1000-1500. The actual GIBSON version would be MUCH higher. Careful with that one, I believe they are kinda rare! Good luck.

Does your's look like this??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgVT7VlWL_g&feature=related]YouTube - B'z MOTEL[/ame]

15. KristenC

KristenC Junior Member

My apologies, yes it is the Gibson, signature series Les Paul Tak Matsumoto. I was told that it is incredibly rare and worth quite a bit... I'm just not sure how much "quite a bit" means.

Thanks for your response!

16. Willncarolina09

Willncarolina09 Senior Member

No problem! This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable and friendly people. If you ask over in the Gibson forum I'm sure they could give you a good value idea. My guitar budget cannot count that high:shock:

Good luck!
    Will

17. KristenC

KristenC Junior Member

Thanks I'll try that!

18. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

Just had to drop in with an update. I bought my Tak on impulse and wasn't sure if I'd keep it--I'm still trying to talk myself out of it but it's a keeper more and more.

The single biggest reason I've got to hold onto it is the neck is fantastic--not sure what profile it's closest to, but it feels full yet slightly flat at the center of the back. It sits better in my hand than any other guitar I own. No complaints about anything else on it--the only upgrade I'm considering is the capacitors.

19. air5mjp

air5mjp Junior Member

What hole in the wall are you refering to? I live in Louisville as well.....

20. Yoooder

Yoooder Senior Member

First Quality Music Supply (fqms.com). They're really the polar opposite of a hole-in-the wall, they're an online retailer with a warehouse in the 'Ville. They've got an amazing showroom (although the stock can be fairly limited) but since they're online and over in the industrial park the showroom is usually dead-empty (hence the hole-in-the-wall title).

Give 'em a visit, the staff are great and if there's anything you want from the warehouse they'll go find it for you.