Electric Guitar Impulses are Here

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

frankv likes this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Neat, but kind of reminds of the early Line 6 PODs....you will probably find a couple sounds that are close nd work for you, but on a whole isn't quite there yet. Everything sounded just a little too brash, specially the single coil guitars. The "PRS" was a tiny bit closer but still a bit too "twangy". Still a cool concept and it may, like the old PODs, sound better in the context of a mix.

3. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I understand where this could be useful, for some. I do think the dramatic difference in feel between guitars (like a Tele vs. an LP) is something that a player may ultimately miss. I truly believe that some of the styles of music associated with different guitars is based as much (or more) on how the guitars feel to play, than what specific tones they produce.

I do understand where something like this could be useful in live situations though. Not unlike the way I've used coil taps/splits through the years to get single coil tones out of my hb guitars.

Sournote and Jymbopalyse like this.
  4. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Looking at how the Kemper and Helix started out --> and where they have gotten to today -- only makes me more excited when I see this.

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

We've already got that in the Line 6 Variax guitars for more than 10 years. You're going to need a uniform base signal for it to work most accurately; the Variax achieves this using piezo pickups on the bridge.

Having played my JTV-59 for 5 years, I can say that you can get the sound but you will not get the feel, but sometimes the feel contributes to how you play and get the sound out of a certain guitar type.

Sournote, drew365 and Donal like this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah see, that is likely why I thought the impulses in that OP vid sounded, like, well crap actually. PERHAPS you can adjust the impulses for a particular guitar (which I am betting they didn't do) when you don't have a uniform signal. At least I hope so, cause, ugh, that was some crap tone in the vid.

mmd likes this.
  7. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

Seems like a cool tool I guess if you want something different on the fly but I personally would rather use the real things. What am I to expect with an "LP impulse" anyway? None of my LPs sound alike and I couldnt tell you which one sounds more "LP like". Seems more gimmick than substance but if somebody can find it useful then its a decent enough product I guess. :thumb:

hbucker and mmd like this.