Effect Loops

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Gibsonblues, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

Can someone explain when it is best to use the amp's affects loop and when not to with effects pedals? I think the type of pedal has something to do with this. I always ran the following: guitar => pedal => amp input. My Classic 50 has two channels, clean and lead. It also has effects send and return. I'd like to know more concerning how and when to put a pedal in the loop versus going directly into the amp input. I just bought a plain jane Boss SD1 and I plan on adding a few more pedals in the future but I'm not certain which ones yet... Thanks Gibsonblues ... :)

2. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

In my experience time-based effects (delay, reverb, chorus, flange, etc.) can work well in the effects loop. I tend to like wah and overdrives in front of the amp (but you can use ANY effect in the loop IF it sounds good to you so use your ears and experiment). Loops can be a great place to insert rack-mounted effects into your signal path.

I tried using the loop on my Classic 30 and ValveKing 112 but ended up going back to in front of the amp since a few effects just didn't sound right to me in the loop and I didn't feel like running separate lines to the amp and then from the amp and back again for other pedals. I keep it all on my pedal board and want to limit the cables coming and going from there.

3. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

mmcquain ... Thanks for the reply. I know that experimentation is in order to see what sounds best. I did find a few things online that repeat what you said about time based effects going in the loop between the power amp and preamp. Thanks again... Gibsonblues... :)