Edwards vs. Tokai... my thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by GuitarRUSH, Mar 3, 2016.

1. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

Nope. Made no difference whatsoever.

This dang thing is for sale now. lol

2. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of Tokai pickups (except the ones that came in my LS-LTD Lindy) and I think it really would be a shame to keep them in such a great looking guitar. I bet those SDs would sound incredible in there... :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  3. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

I'll get a quote on a pickup swap from a shop down the street from me tomorrow.

4. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

What is the big thing, they are just both copies. What one is the good one.

5. ChrisK

ChrisK Senior Member

Is that a question?

6. GuitarRUSH

GuitarRUSH Senior Member

1. One is beautiful, the other not so much.

2. One sounds perfect, the other not so much.

Those two points aren't necessarily describing the same guitar, hence the problem.

7. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. JDB

JDB Senior Member

sell em both and buy a Gibson ?

1 person likes this.
  9. luis

luis Senior Member

I understand your point view but he may change his mind after the swap:hmm:.

Changing pickups is an easy operation but he would check for pickups heigth.

In my experinece, Tokai Love Rocks have that warmer thicker sound usually , I guess that is what they are looking for.

10. luis

luis Senior Member

JBD I did the opposite, I sold my 2002 Gibson Les 'Paul Yamano with Burstbucker 1 and 2 (unpotted) stock (Yamano requested those kind of pups instead the threded 490- 498T set regular). A heavier and less lively sounding guitar than my Tokai LS320 and frtes dressing was so-so and my hands was choking when playing through the finguerboard.

It is a matter of taste I guess.....

1 person likes this.
  11. daithesaes

daithesaes Senior Member

It is seriously easy to swap the pups round. Don't fear the soldering iron!!

As the others have said, plenty of support on here if you're not sure.

Bound to be 'how to' vids on YouTube as well.

Given your preferences for the looks and feel of the Tokai (and the fact that it is surely the better made of the two) you'd be mad to not try the SD's in it.

You'll never know if you don't and you might be pleasantly surprised if you do......what's the worst that can happen? You have to swap the pups back......no biggie, takes a bit of time and you've scratched the itch.

12. Matty

Matty Senior Member

^^^ This or GTFO. :D

13. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

From many reviews I've read (not having played one) it seems like the back wood on Edwards makes them very light, and very consistently resonant. Tokais are not so consistent. They're all made great, but two made right after each other can sound very different from each other.

I've played a few. Some, like mine, are incredibly lively. Some, like my mate's LS92 is a lot warmer and less bright. And I once played a Tokai SG that was just totally dead sounding (but that's very rare).

So yeah, your Tokai may just not have been the liveliest of the bunch. Like the original LPs, they vary a lot in sound and resonance depending on the exact slabs of wood used.

Go with what matters most to you. No harm in trying the pickup swap, but it may not be a game-changer.

As for the Tokai being a case-queen... Well one of the advantages in the lower cost of an MIJ is not babying the guitar like Gibsons pressure us to do. My LS150 is also a premium model Tokai, but I've banged the crap out of it at gigs. A banged up guitar is a guitar that was good enough to be played regularly.

4 people like this.
  14. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

The review helps since I just started looking for an MIJ myself.

The only thing to fear from soldering irons is the hot end. Especially if you drop it, then instinctivley grab it to prevent it from hitting the guitar & wind up burning your fretting hand finger(s). You know how I know.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6P40wLThbc[/ame]

[​IMG]

Or not.

3 people like this.
  15. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Quoted for truth. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  16. retodd

retodd Senior Member

3 people like this.
  17. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I own (and have owned some more and sold) both Edwards and Tokai... and the Tokai are strictly modern era 2005 is my oldest.

I have a Hibiki Custom shop model as well as a LS160.

I have owned a 130ALS 135 ALS/RE Edwards and currently own two Customs.

In comparison of the modern era stuff with both (because comparing 2016 Edwards with 1980 Tokais is another thing entirely)... given the same price point, I don't think either emerges as a clear winner.

Edwards offers more value in some respects than Tokai.

Edwards has ebony fretboards on their customs at the lower tier guitars, whereas with tokai you have to go above the "Vintage Series" and into the Premium Series to get a Custom with Ebony Fretboard.

(I am speaking suggested retail price here to compare across the board but of course with both companies, street price is lower)

and by SRP I mean the # designator.

Iow, to get Ebony on a Tokai Custom the cheapest is the LC220 (220,000 Yen), whereas with Edwards, the base Poly models have them, at substantially less than 220,000 Yen

You can also get an all lacquer Edwards for less than a Lacquer tokai

So, in this respect, Edwards offers more value.

On the other hand, Tokai goes in the complete opposite direction with their Traditional Series (MIC or MIK I forget which but I think the former)

With these guitars, you get classic stuff like Mahogany Body and Maple cap, and still quite good workmanship for a little more than 1/2 the cost of the cheapest Edwards(No ebony fb's on the customs though).

You can't compare the High End Tokai stuff to Edwards because it's comparing a way more expensive guitar to a way less expensive one.

I really like both. I found ridiculous deals on Tokais that got me into the HLS240 and LS160 and these are definitely nicer than my LTC (lacquer taste) Edwards Custom, but at a much higher (retail) price.

1 person likes this.
  18. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

What's this case queen crap !
    Grow some balls, swap the pickups, keep the Tokai, get it out of it's case and play the hell out of it and then sell that chinese nancy boy
    Edwards
    Sheesh !!!

5 people like this.
  19. Leebak

Leebak Senior Member

seems there will be no more lacquer taste edwards les pauls.
    years ago named 98lts that today its called 108 lts its a discontinued model.
    You can watch it on ESP japanese page.
    No more lacquer taste les pauls.
    And to let it clear:
    on discontinued LTS series (lacquer taste series) the guitars were not full nitro.
    THe back of the body, the fornt part of the headstock (also got no veneer on it), and the back of the body are full lacquer but the neck, the back of the headstock and the top of the body is only clear coated.
    Instead of the guitar finish, the quality overall, feel and sound of this 98lts was great.
    I bought mine almost 10 years ago from japan for 1k including taxes and shipping.
    Back then the euro was strong so It was 750 euros, I smile everytime I think about how much I paid for the 98LTS ^^

Angus Blackmore likes this.
  20. Bladesg

Bladesg Member

Tokai LPs are awesome stock but a pickup swap will make it even better. I installed a set of OX4 pups in my Tokai and seriously every single person that's played it wants to buy it from me. Obviously it's not for sale, neither will it be for sale in the future!