Edwards vs Grass Roots

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Kuroyama, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

This probably wont apply to anyone not shopping in Japan but it might help someone someday.

Im looking at maybe getting an LP Special single cut copy.

Edwards - 70, 000 yen
    Grass Roots - 44,000 yen

Thats a $260 (roughly) difference

So since they are both the same size shape, both set necks, same woods used, the only visible difference is the name...what gives?

1) The Edwards uses Seymour Duncan pups...but thats like a $75 difference. Where the rest of the money going?
    2) Edwards is made in Japan, Grass Roots is made in Korea. To many Japanese being made in Korea is a big deal. Unlike a US Strat vs a Mexi Strat where the components are very different and only LOOK similar, the Edwards/Grass Roots thing (Short of the pups) is the same animal right down to the DNA (Grass Roots and Edwards are both part of ESP guitars).

So there it is.
    If I cant get back my Gibby Special, Im getting that TV YLW Grass Roots.

2. classic

classic Senior Member

If they are using the same wood, the same components and have an identical craftmanship ... it sounds reasonable what you're saying ... :thumb:

... and if the "Korean built" image isn't as bad as in Europe or the US the Japanese people have a wider range for choosing a guitar than our fellows here with their brand-focussed blinders ... Congrats on such an attitude ... :applause: :applause:

3. Kuroyama

Kuroyama V.I.P. Member

Classic

I dont know if congratulation are in order or not. Form what Ive seen Ive got a wider selection to choose from, but the attitude toward Korean or Chinese built guitars reminds me of the attitude I remember back in the US when they started making Strats down south... I stopped playing guitar around that time and it seems now that the general attitude is much more accepting.

Over here though gear made not-in-Japan, US, or England... even by Japanese companies...isnt viewed too favorably. Chinese made Epiphone LPs Studios Ive seen sit and sit and sit and sit for sale prices of 36000yen Standards for 40000. Thats about $290, and $330. For a Les Paul...

Meanwhile theyve got a Japanese LP Special with a bug ole Epiphone label going for 68000 right next to the LPs. Thats about $575. I think the numbers kind of say it all. ...although in fairness to the Japanese the TVY LP Special was used by some group called The Alfees... and they are pretty big over here. So youd kind of have to chalk up that star power maybe.

How many Americans bought Les Pauls because of Slash?
    How many Brits bought SGs because of Angus?

Maybe there is some of that affecting that particular price example... but still. $290 Epiphone Studios OUGHT to be flying off shelves in such a music powered town as this.