Edwards Guitars—The Whole Story, and More

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by gibiphone, May 7, 2009.

1. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

Next time you fly somewhere, take it as carry on luggage and you'll get scanner pics for free. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. Boyinblack

Boyinblack Senior Member

I was trying to think of how I could check one.....hmmm.

I believe what Edwards says....but knocking on it...you can hear pretty clearly there seems to be a hollow area....it feels different when you knock in the area and it sounds different.

that said the guitar rocks and sounds great both plugged in and unplugged.

3. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

I was half serious. It would probably work, only it may be a lot of unnecessary hassle. I took a Strat body in a small carry-on bag recently and I got a pretty good view of the guitar. They did ask me to open the bag to take a look at WTF was in there. Or else if you know any doctors or nurses... :)

4. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

an electronic stud finder you use on walls senses changes in density it may detect cavities I dunno but never tried it.
    i use nails in the wall much like how i pickup chicks.buckshot approach keep firin till i hit somethin'

2 people like this.
  5. ridner

ridner Senior Member

good read. thanks all for the info - especially the OP. looking into getting my 1st Edwards. The China vs Japan thing doesn't worry me too much as the quality and reviews seem to be top notch. ESP has great QC standards, so I assume the Edwards would be held to a high standard. I have owned lots of ESP and LTD products - none of which have been low quality - even those made in Indonesia.

6. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Yep...ESP rules

7. Edwards

Edwards Junior Member

Interesting reading. There is a thread on another forum where the guy lives in Japan, and has basically established that Edwards are entirely made in Japan. Apparently Grassroots and LTD are made in China.
    Who knows what to believe, on the net?
    One thing I do know, it is extremely hard for someone outside Japan to get any answer whatsoever from ESP Japan about such things.
    If you doubt this, then try using the contact section on the Japanese website. You will find out for yourself that they don't answer.
    So I seriously doubt much of the info that has been 'surmised'.
    There is an Edwards agent here in NZ and the guitars they sell have 'Made in Japan' on the actual guitar.

8. andrius

andrius Senior Member

I don't think the location of the factory where Edwards guitars are made is that important. What matters is: are these guitars good for that price? The fact that so many people think these guitars are good for that price and are convinced this is MIJ quality, makes this discussion a bit pointless, because what matters in the end is the quality of the final product. Which is great.
    Therefore rather than trying to find out what factory Edwards guitars are made in - because quality of work and quality control is not a problem with Edwards guitars - it would be more interesting to know what is the quality of the woods used. A CNC machine can cut wood in China equally as good as in Japan. But the quality of wood makes greater difference.

3 people like this.
  9. Lrayblu

Lrayblu Senior Member

Even if they are made in China....Gibson should be worried...these guitars are built as good...show what China can do with the right leadership....I love mine....its better then my deluxe I sold.

10. Dino

Dino Senior Member

I don't own an Edwards LP but I do own an Edwards Flying V as well as a Gibson Flying V. The Edwards V shows far better craftsmanship, IMO. The Edwards was actually more expensive AND I had to pay around $150 to have it shipped from Japan. Still, it's worth every penny.

11. andrius

andrius Senior Member

This might be an interesting addition to this thread: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRzea7Ow_E&t=5m40s"]ESP factory tour[/ame] (at around 5:40-5:45) - does it say Edwards on those blue and red coloured headstocks (I presume, those are Snappers)?

1 person likes this.
  12. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

It says Edwards but it's already been established that Edwards guitars go through the ESP factory at some point in the production.

13. andrius

andrius Senior Member

I only supplied some evidence that's more reliable than emails :)

14. RedMastiff

RedMastiff Banned

I got and edwards that i bought new 8 years ago, and after playing all kind of guitars i can say this edwards les paul is the best thing price/quality you can buy.
    It hurst me, but sounds better than some more expensive gibsons that i have and played.
    You cant go wrong with one of this les pauls

3 people like this.
  15. JZ06

JZ06 Senior Member

I still have serious G.A.S. for a white LP Custom. THIS option looks to be ideal for me. Right at the top of the price I'd like to spend. $1000.00 USD, max. I've been looking at some posts and watching YouTube videos. They look and sound great!! Hmmmm, :) Love this forum. THANKS!!!

16. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

Check auctions for a used one. You can nab one for a few hundred dollars less than that, shipping included.

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

If the final processing is done here in Japan (i.e., the easy stuff) then that qualifies as "Made in Japan"... at least it does in Japan.

As far as getting information from Edwards, getting information from Gibson is no easier! Case in point, which of the Collectors Choice series are Murphy aged? Good luck getting an answer from Gibson on that one...

18. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

Sorry but I find it hard to believe ESP is the ONLY factory/organisation that can get tenons like this out of china. ...
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. gibiphone2

gibiphone2 Junior Member

I've been away from this forum for about 3 ½ years, but decided to come back to wrap-up this thread. Been gone so long I forgot my password and no longer have the email address I registered with, so I am now Gibiphone2.

Tonebone's ole buddy Tokai Joe lolol first made the revelation that Edwards were partially made in China. Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com :: View topic - "EDWARDS" by ESP are officially NOT MADE IN JAPAN! I later confirmed it with my inquiries to ESP and further research, resulting in the birth of this thread. The company clammed up shortly after that.

Edwards originally were made entirely in Japan. But, from before I first started this thread in 2009, the initial manufacture of Edwards was in fact done at the ESP factory in Jixi, Heilongjiang, PRC. I do not know how much before then the production had moved to China, but at least a year. Sometime in the intervening years, complete production of Edwards was returned to Japan. The ESP China factory now produces lower end LTD models for export and three brands with which I am not familiar; Fearless, Pride, and Kaalena. I can find only one reference to any of these three brands on the internet, and thus assume they are for Chinese domestic sales only. Curiously enough, the one reference was on this forum with the writer asking about the name Kaalena. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/307141-help-me-id-headstock.html

Since 2009, The location of the factory has moved a short distance, into what appears to be a relatively new facility.

The address is now: No 93 Dongshan Rd, Jiguan District, Jixi Municipality, Heilongjiang, China (黑龙江省鸡西市鸡冠区东山路93号)

Here's the Website for the company known as Heilongjiang ESP Electronic Audio Co., Ltd. (黑龙江伊瑷斯霹电子音响有限公司) and ESP China Ltd. (ESP 中国有限公司). This website appears to be quite new with only a little over 1,100 visits to date.

黑龙江伊瑷斯霹电å*éŸ³å“æœ‰é™å…¬å¸
    Don"t know why the link looks goofy, but it works.

The website has pics of the models they produce now, and some great shots of the factory interior

Here's the contact page, with a great exterior view of the factory.

http://espchinahlj.com/col.jsp?id=102

Here are Heilongjiang and Jixi Municipality Officials touring the plant, with shots of what appear to be some LTD models.

http://espchinahlj.com/col.jsp?id=103

For the record, ESP states “ESP guitars are built in our main factory and custom-shop located in Japan. These are completely built and assembled by highly skilled craftsmen using the best parts & wood selection. LTD guitars are produced in our factories outside of Japan (currently Korea, Indonesia, China, and Vietnam), and are manufactured in larger quantities using an assembly-line production method. This results in lower priced instruments.”

The bottom line is that complete production of Edwards has returned to Japan after a brief interlude (at least 2009 maybe longer) when the initial phase of the manufacture (woodworking through painting) was done at the ESP China facility. While Edwards falls a little short of the Navagator line, the fit and finish are superb making Edwards guitars the most under-rated guitar brand in Japan. The bang-for-the-buck makes them one of the best buys around.

10 people like this.
  20. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Nicely done man, good info and you reiterated what I said the other day.
    They definitely are the best bang for buck newer production guitar out there and that is while I believed they were still being MIC.
    MIJ FTW

2 people like this.