[ECP RD-59 vs BKP Mules] Anybody tried both?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Leo_Gibson, May 22, 2014.

1. Leo_Gibson

Leo_Gibson Senior Member

Hey all,

Tonally, I'm in to THE(?) LP tone. When thinking how to describe what I'm looking for, all the typical/nebulous terms come to mind: articulate, clear, woody, creamy, etc. (I won't go on). I like all these classic tones (and also some higher gain stuff now and then):

- Eric Clapton (particularly John Mayall & Cream era inc. Woman Tone)
    - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac (regardless of phase)
    - Paul Kossoff
    - Malcolm & Angus Young
    - Billy Gibbons (first two ZZ albums e.g. tracks like Brown Sugar)
    - Jimmy Page (early-mid Zeppelin)
    - Warren Haynes & Joe Bonamassa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX14smq21HE !)
    - Ronnie Montrose ("Rock Candy, baby")

I'm thinking the ECP RD-59 (probably Hybrid), or Bare Knuckle Mules will be the perfect match for me. Wanted to know peoples thoughts on the two, particularly those who have tried both (didn't see a thread comparing the two).

Cheers,
    Leo_Gibson

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

When you think PAF tone, there are about 1000+ variations on this as all pickups are a bit different. Winders now will look at one specific type and aim to replicate it. This is great, as almost all of these boutique offerings will get you there. The bad part is having to make the choice.

3. Leo_Gibson

Leo_Gibson Senior Member

Meaning either of those pickup choices will nail what I'm looking for?

If so, I may hit up Billy as his are cheaper and he seems like a smaller operation, so I feel like my business will make more of a difference (support the little guy!)

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I own a RD-59 Hybrid set and it totally nail Kossoff/Bloomfield groundtone.

Just tell Bill that Pepe said "Hi", will ya? ;)

HTH,

3 people like this.
  5. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

I too can vouch for the RD-59's.... I personally like the Low Wind set the best. I play mostly rock but dabble in jazz and country and that set holds it's own for those styles as well. It nails early Zeppelin tones and late 70's Rush type tones too. I personally don't think the Bare Knuckles are worth the extra money when you have dudes like Bill winding!

1 person likes this.
  6. Johnny_Sokko

Johnny_Sokko Senior Member

I haven't tried any of Bill's pickups but the RD-59s are definately at the top of my list. I do have BKP Mules in my Les Paul and they nail any classic Les Paul PAF tone I could want. I'm sure the smile on my face was visible from space when I fired up the Marshall and got those wonderful Kossoff and Zep tones.

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have a set of the RD 59 hybrids. They are very good pickups. The only thing you'll struggle with hitting dead on on your list is early AC/DC.....T-tops for accurate Angus tone.

ECP is very quick with turnaround, plus you can add tweaks to any 'stock' set if you want - its normal practice for a small winder. I think Bill is also happy to do some rewinding if you need some tweaking from the initial go.

1 person likes this.
  8. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

Have electric city rd-59 hybrids in my explorer & it has that very smoky, dry, woody vintage tone....I just got a es-335 with the block inlays I'm thinking of putting another alnico 4 many pickup in there