ECP HG's have arrived!!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bulletproof, Apr 20, 2015.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yup,same here. One of the coolest things Ive discovered is with the bridge on/around 6 and neck around 5-4 played through my Champ. What a cool tone,man!!

2. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Question to you guys :

Does your Neck Pup have what I like to describe as 'turbo mode'.

I'm running the MSSC Holy Grail harness - Neck tone 9 - Neck Vol 8.5 (my usual setting) = nice - turn vol up to 10 & its like woah screaming jesus my guitar has turned into a wailing banshee of musical beauty !

The other thing, this is the very first time I've been able to usefully use my neck tone from 0 no tone - 3 sweet - 6 incredibly clear - 9 thickening up to 10 volume/thickness increase.

Also, try - neck vol 10 tone 6 & then try Neck Vol 6/7 tone 10 & hear difference.

Very interesting stuff.

bulletproof likes this.
  3. bulletproof

Hell ya,you found the setting man!! I gotta tell ya,brother,when I first got these pickups,I spent hours just twisting them V and T knobs. There are so many beautiful settings in these:thumb:

4. JCRW

JCRW Junior Member

Thread resurrection! Just recently purchased a Garden Tribute bridge pickup from Bill and got it installed last week. This went into my Les Paul that had the Hallowed Ground Set where after a year of playing I found that I wanted something with a little more clarity from the bridge pickup. The HG bridge is great in it's own right but if I had to put things in perspective it nails Billy Gibbons where I was looking more for Jimmy Page. The HG neck pickup is glorious and will remain permanently. The Garden Tribute is a fantastic pickup! It has the clarity, chime and bite I was looking for and it pairs wonderfully with the HG neck. The middle tone are amazing too. Overall extremely happy, thanks again Bill for all of your help. With this set and the Presence set in the strat I am all set to go!

5. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

JCRW, I totally understand where your coming from, however I might be a little in the opposite direction. The HG bridge is just so beautifully meaty and rich, I have my vol on 8 tone on 8 most of the time, (you don't say if you have a HG harness) but I can then turn the tone up to 10 to go Kossof or Page flavoured. I've never heard a bridge humbucker better. If I go vol/tone both on 10 it gets a bit too bright for me.

The neck is still a little bit of a bone of contention. I had a pickup in there before called the MK58 by Haussel and whilst it didn't have the multitude of flavourings that the HG neck does, it had this amazing harmonic richness a little bit of softness, whilst being dry and earthy sounding at the same time. I used to run it on vol/tone both 9 nearly all the time however. By comparison, the HG neck vol 10 tone 0 has a volume jump and amp destroying woman tone. Vol up to 8, then tone between 3 and 6 and its extremely clear sounding (especially at 6). Then, past 6 is kinda like you can hear the slug coil take over and it thickens & compresses the tone, just incredible. But it still doesn't have the harmonic of the Haussel.

The interesting thing with the Haussel and the HG is that the Haussel is 9.3K (5% offset between coils) and the HG 8.36K but the HG has more output !

I've sometimes thought about changing back the neck pickup, but then I play a recording of my friends '58 clean in the middle position, and guess what, sounds 'exactly' like the HG set. Its a decision of wether to have the true 'tone' from the guitar or a pseudo flavouring.

JCRW and Brewdude like this.
  6. bulletproof

Outstanding!!! :applause::applause::applause:

JCRW likes this.
  7. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

I'm always glad to see this thread get bumped! I don't see much of Bill on here anymore, anyone seen or heard much from him recently? Hopefully he's just busy with the business but it'd be nice to have him stop by here every once in a while!

I'll agree with the @JCRW and @scovell001 that the bridge pickup is about as close to perfection as I can imagine! I personally love the neck pickup but its right on the edge of being too hot for my preference, luckily as was said it responds so well to volume/tone adjustments. Its also nice to have a variety of pickup flavors and guitars to pick up when you want something different, variety is the spice of life and all that good stuff...

JCRW and bulletproof like this.
  8. bulletproof

Ya know,come to think of it,I cant recall seeing Bill on here for a long while either. I do hope its as you said Brewdude. Maybe hes just really busy.....:hmm:

9. JCRW

JCRW Junior Member

Totally agree with everything you said. Believe me, if I could get additional funds together I would have the HG set in one Les Paul and a full Garden Tribute set in a 2nd... one can dream as they are the best of both worlds. All I know is Bill makes some fantastic winds and is making me want to buy that 2nd guitar now. :D

bulletproof likes this.
  10. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I spoke to him via email about a month ago when I drop box'd him a tear down of the Haussel pickups. He said he was really busy (a good thing).

Yeah, I'd love him to pop on here just to talk about these pickups again. There's been a few threads about 'vintage' wire pickups of late (there's definitely something in it) and what I find interesting with the HG set is that:

The bridge, whilst being 'standard' 42 awg and sounding lovely, it reacts in the 'standard' way I would expect a pickup to. The neck, I find it very interesting how you can actually hear the 2 separate coils doing their thing. Especially the change of how I have a volume & power increase with the tone on 0, followed by clarity (tone 1-6) followed by Girth, Compression and power (tone 7-9) - I have 'never' heard a standard modern wound pickup do that. I'd love to know what is going on there.

Amp wise with these pup's do you guys prefer - 6v6/5e3 saggy style amps or more Marshally offerings ?

Brutus and bulletproof like this.
  11. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If you put an A3 magnet in the ECP HG neck p'up, you'll get prettty close to the Haussel's "harmonic richness with a little bit of softness", without really missing a whole lot of the "multitude of flavourings", which IS the main characteristic of the ECP HG neck inherent "tone-footprint".

HTH,

bulletproof likes this.
  12. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Heya HTH,

The ECP HG 'has' an A3 in it already. I 'wondered' if the Haussel had either an UOA5 or an A4 in it. The bass is very snappy, it has strong mids, the highs are separated but just slightly soft. It has a very earthy, dry, slaty kind of tone. I' heard that, that was a characteristic of UOA5. Didn't know if you had any input/advice on that ?

bulletproof likes this.
  13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

HTH means "Hope That Helps". You call me Lt., or Pepe if you so wish.

You're completely right! Well, in my defense, all other ECP p'ups I've had had A4 mags, so, by force of habit, I wrongly assumed the HGs being A4 as well. Sorry! My bad!

TBH, call'em "Haussel", is a misnomer. Those are MADE BY Haussel, but in commission with MK-guitar shop, as a custom order to be sold exclusively by them, being the product of cloning the p'ups found on Mark Knofler's '58 LP. The right denomination is "MK Guitar MK-58" pickup set. And no specs for those are to be found anywhere. But I find "strange", for the lack of a better word, that they use short-legged baseplates. Well, I'm sure it was production-induced business decision.

By description alone, it seems to be A4. In comparison, assuming the same neck p'up, the UOA5 has a "spongy" quality in the low mids, not tight but not loose either. The mids are singing but gentle, and the highs are sweeter than A4 but anyway present. And because of the quality of A4 Bill uses in his products, the harmonic complexity is pretty strong and, well... complex! LOL! Pun intended. :p

HTH, (Hope That Helps ;))

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    bulletproof likes this.
  14. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Thanks Pepe,

Thats a great description, it 'must' be an A4 then.

Thanks so much for your help