ECP HG's have arrived!!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bulletproof, Apr 20, 2015.

1. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

By far they are the cream of the crop as far as PAF clones are concerned.

Skydogs are a close second.

Revivals are #1 for versatility.

4 people like this.
  2. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

Well said.

After listening to some clips I recorded I am about ready to swap back into my R9 :hmm: the HG set in the R9 are slightly more aressive sounding. I found swapping them around was giving me 2 similar sounding guitars. Which I guess was my goal?? Seems It will be more interesting to have 2 different sounding guitars.

2 people like this.
  3. wrc73

wrc73 Senior Member

My HG bridge and Skydog neck are pretty darn versatile. The Skydog neck pup is just fantastic; no mud, no muffled sound, and no boominess, PERFECT! MY HG bridge pup covers so much ground, with the volume on the guitar all of the way up it is aggressive with a real crunchy tone that has some sizzle to it. Turn the volume knob down a little and the sizzle goes away leaving a great classic rock tone, but the magic happens when the neck and bridge are combined. I have had 4 different sets of pups in my LP and this is the first set that has a good middle position tone, the combination of the crunchy tone from the HG with the silky smooth tone of the Skydog is just awesome. :wow: I got to spend some time yesterday dialing them in and these pups can do just about anything, form :slash: to Page and pretty much anything in between. I bet if I put some time into it I could get a great EVH tone out of the HG bridge as well. :hmm:

I was/am really happy with the Sheptone set I had in the guitar, so much so that they kept getting put back in every time I tried something new. The difference between the HG/SD set versus my Sheptone AB Custom/Tribute set is the versatility. What the Sheptones do best, they do at least as well as the HG/SD set, it's everything else that separates the HG/SD set from the pack. Also, this is the first set that I have had where I don't have to eq the amp for either the bridge or the neck, no compromises, just great tones in all three positions! I do like to tweak the volume and tone knobs for the perfect middle position tone, but I don't have to touch the amp to get there. :)

Awesome pickups, great customer service, I understand why ECP is so popular around here.

4 people like this.
  4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Last night,I got all bent out of shape about some dumb sh!T and decided to raise the HG bridge to where the strings just cleared it and man,talk about some thick ole tone....I went on a bit of Sab,VH,Accept,Maiden kinda flashback....Of course.I lowered it back to its former position,but,Im still blown away by these pups and its been over a year.....:shock: :naughty: :thumb:

3 people like this.
  5. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

With all the love for the Wizz Ltd Vintage 50s wire, I thought I'd post a few photos of my ECP Hallowed Grounds with Bartlett Rings. Been sitting on these since the beginning of the year waiting for everything to come together. These will 'finally' be installed next week & I'm hoping to set something up at my friends recording studio or similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bill m

bill m Senior Member

Did you get them installed yet? It's been a long time coming and please let me know how you like them.

7. bulletproof

Pretty interested in knowing this as well,brother!! :cool:

8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

It's amazing how these pickups sound after a couple months of breaking them in. The bridge in particular has taken on this beautiful, lush quality that I wasn't hearing when I first installed them. Just amazing.

Is Bill still producing these?

9. bulletproof

They really are quite amazing,arent they? As far as Bill still winding these,I do believe it all rests on him being able to source the correct wire.

10. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Glad someone bumped this, I'm still loving my set after all this time! As I'm undertaking a new LP build I had naughty thoughts about getting a set wound on double white bobbins :wow:

I am not usually one to love the bridge position on LP's but I agree the bridge on this set is amazing. I actually had Bill wind me one in 'standard' form without the aging etc because it is standard PE wire, I believe, that I paired with his low wind pickup. Thats a great and different combo to the hot neck if you ever want to try it but he doesn't have enough of the oddball wire for the neck PUP...

11. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

A N D......................

They're in !

[​IMG]

12. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

^survey says?^

13. bulletproof

Hot damn,brother!! How do you like'em???

14. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

I'm running these with the last MSSC Holy Grail harness (now the ECP Hallowed Ground Harness).

Mine reads Neck 8.36 A3 - Bridge 7.65 A2

The Bridge is 'probably' the finest fit for a Les Paul bridge anywhere - I can't think of any reason why anyone would want anything else than a pickup with these specs - ZZ top, Led Zeppelin & particularly Paul Kossoff is right there. I can A/B my bridge with Arthur Ramm playing the Kossoff burst on YT & its right on, identical.

I think if you wanted a later 59/60 sounding bridge you'd go with maybe an A4 magnet in there, but TBH there's so much just intrinsically 'right' about the A2 mag in a LP bridge I can't think of an honest reason why you'd want anything else.

Got to run out, but I'll talk about the Neck next !

15. bulletproof

Outstanding,brother!! So glad y'all love'em!

I spent the most of this afternoon just riding the bridge,using the V and T knobs and finding just stellar tones. Was playing the R8 through a Marshall Class 5 with a Wampler Plexi-Drive and had a ball. Im thinking of making a vid of these tones alone and then doing the same for the neck. Damn things are addicting.

16. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

Bulletproof,

I've been struggling to dial the neck in for the last few months I had a combination of too much bass/treble & no mids. I had the pickup raised up, then down played all around with the pole pieces etc. I'm like 'super tech' with these things but just couldnt get it right ! 'Then' out of frustration I searched the net & had a go with this guys recommendations as a starting point with all pole pieces (neck & bridge) totally flat : http://www.vaughnskow.com/single-post/2016/02/29/How-To-Adjust-Set-Pickup-Height-on-a-Humbucker-for-ULTIMATE-TONE

Eureka as they say, my neck pup is a singin ! I would say im more of an A2 mag guy tbh but that leading edge of playing a chord on the neck pup, OMG ! Its like theres this 3d bloom with a soft front edge. Somedays ill just sit there strumming barre chords clean just so I can hear that. Then you wind up the amp & it just destroys, roll the tone back to 0 & the woman tone, omg THE WOMAN TONE !

Then its volume back down, rich 3d jazz chords. I 'totally' understand vntage wire now, its the missing link to pure PAF tone & thats what Bill has done here, he has created what I would regard as a set of 'real pafs' - thats a serious statement but these things are seriously that frickin good.

17. bulletproof

Glad you got it sorted out,brother!! It was just the opposite with mine. I installed'em and as always started with both flush with the rings. And thats where they stayed. Now,I have raised them up in tiny increments,found beautiful tones there and ended up,with the bridge now just a tiny bit past the ring and the neck sits flush.
    Truly outstanding pickups. Never have I had a set this good. I agree,Bill has done something close to magic with these buggers

18. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

19. bulletproof

:thumb: Aint life grand?!?

20. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Samesies...any further tweaks come from buffer on/off, boost, effect pedal or amp EQ based on what I am trying to accomplish