ECP HG's have arrived!!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by bulletproof, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Rick Maxwell

Rick Maxwell Senior Member

Bill, mine have settled in and are really what I look for in a pickup.
    I have them in a 96 R7 GT. Good wood nice fat neck and these are really resonate, warm, woody, but still have a nice clear attack. Granted I'm OCD regarding pots and caps. Right now I have 1 meg linear neck volume, 500 neck tone, 500 bridge vol. 500 bridge tone. Amps used vary from Fender Bassman LTD, Fender Blues Jr NOS, and Marshall DSL 40c with cream back . For me it's all good. Thanks again Bill. Great pups!!!!

3 people like this.
  2. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Perfect balance of clarity and softness with the right amount of power. Sh#t even my vox amplug sounded great last night while practicing near my wife while she watched Grey's Anatomy.

3 people like this.
  3. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

+1 on still loving these Pups, I tried to convince myself to get another set in the latest batch but it just didn't work out.

I've been on a Skynyrd kick recently and the hot neck pickup with my overdriven Fender amp is pure bliss in my mind. :dude:

2 people like this.
  4. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

some mindless noodling on a metro jtm45 but decent audio capture for me

gets dirty at :55

1:47 you can hear how well they clean up with just touch

sounds better the louder you turn it up

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cg5OB1MNg8[/ame]

4 people like this.
  5. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Im still in love with'em!!! Havent been able to play for awhile,however,I set my brother up with my HG loaded '89 Standard and hes been playing in my place for our little house blues band jams...Its the damndest thing,Bill...no matter what the settings or whos playing,these here pups deliver the goods,man. Again,I want to say Thank You. Like I said before,every so often special gear comes around and these are really special.

2 people like this.
  6. bulletproof

Hot damn,y'all!! I had to resurrect this here thread....back when I got the 2nd set,I put'em in the R8 and only had about 10 minutes playing time(my health kinda went ****-up),so,at my brothers insistence,I let him put that set in his '91 LP Standard. He had already been playing my '89 with the HG's and was just on and on about putting that set in his guitar for awhile. Family,ya gotta love'em....

Okay,fastforward to last night....I got that set back and installed them back into the R8 and.....Holy Crap!!!!!!!!! These buggers are a completely different animal in this guitar,like rip-your-face-off different!! The harmonics just leap off the board and that growl,unbelievable,man......I ended up lowering them even with the rings and leaving them there,the tones are just unreal. That neck,so clear and thick and when in the middle position with the bridge on say 6-7,good lord,its like ole Dickey on steroids and then some....

I say again,these buggers are damn special,Bill.....Thank you again,brother. I have no doubt that this set will just get better like the first:thumb:

3 people like this.
  7. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Played by R7 just a few days. The Hallowed Grounds are just perfect in that guitar! Love 'em!!

2 people like this.
  8. bill m

bill m Senior Member

I'm very happy everyone is enjoying their HG's.

1 person likes this.
  9. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Senior Member

10. woolenmammoth

woolenmammoth Senior Member

when does the burly gates hit the site?

11. wrc73

wrc73 Senior Member

I finally got a chance to have my set installed, HG bridge and Skydog neck. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to play. My HG is wound a little hot at 7.87 instead of the usual 7.7 and it hits the front end of the amp pretty hard, which I was looking for. :) However, I can lower the volume knob or gain knob on the amp and get nice classic rock tones etc... The Skydog neck is great, I would describe it as very fluid without being muddy or boomy. I'm looking forward to really being able to spend some time with these pups and dialing them in. The HG pup is a great example of the DCR not being indicative of output level, but that is another thread alltogether... :)

Even though I'm just starting to scratch the surface, I'm very pleased with these pups thus far.

2 people like this.
  12. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Is that a thing? Because that name is great!

2 people like this.
  13. geetarfreek82

It is something I nicknamed a pickup I wound for myself. It doesn't have anything to do with ECP. Due to forum rules I can't talk about it, however.:sadwave:

14. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

Then why have the ECP company name as your signature? Looks pretty odd.

15. geetarfreek82

I work for Bill. I was just saying that it's not anything that's ever going to be sold.

16. bulletproof

Outstanding!!!!

1 person likes this.
  17. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

I've spent the last 2 weeks or so trying to dial in my HG pickups in my made in 2015 2014 R9. I have gotten close to what I like to hear but there was this slight metal like spike that I kept hearing. The Skydog set I tried in this same guitar exhibited the same spike.

I came to the conclusion that this R9 may be a bright sounding guitar.

I have a 2011 Daves Guitar Shop R8 as well that I think of as a dark sounding guitar that I have Shed PAF Daddy's in and I really like the way that guitar sounds.

This morning I installed the ECP Hallowed Ground set in the R8 and Yeah! There it was some great tone, that little spike was gone and all 3 pickup positions sound great. The Hallowed Ground set is modeled on that set that is in that 1958 Les Paul, right? So that makes some kind of sense :thumb:

I put the PAF Daddy's in the R9 and they sound great in there as well.

If I spent half as much time playing as I do swapping around pickups I might have some chops :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  18. Brewdude

Brewdude Senior Member

Haha, amen to that! :laugh2:

I use to think it was nonsense but each guitar really is different and it may take some time to find the right match with pickups but when you finally do its totally worth it! I seemingly lucked out and can't see my HG's ever leaving my Gibson but I have thought about moving the Skydogs over to my 339 just to see what its like, if only they weren't such a pain to rewire...

2 people like this.
  19. bp-plickner

bp-plickner Senior Member

Cool...

2 people like this.
  20. bulletproof

Therein lies the beauty of these pups....they have a way of magnifying the characteristics of the guitars they are in. With my '89,they are very smooth,well mannered,toneful little buggers.....in the R8,man,they wanna rip ones face off. For me,this is the sign of a great pup=responsive to the wood they are installed in.

4 people like this.