Ebay Vs Reverb head to head as a seller. Opinions?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by changeling93305, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Korinabill

Korinabill Junior Member

Very informative thread. I have never sold anything on either site, but I'm about to start. Since the last post on this thread, eBay has lowered their fee for guitar sellers to 3.5%. They might be seeing the writing on the wall. Will this make any difference for anyone?

MauiCliff likes this.
  2. Big Daddy B

Big Daddy B Senior Member

Have run into a recent issue with Reverb. I tried to list a power supply and some pedals as Brand New because they are. I had pictures showing the boxes were still sealed. Reverb "suspended" the listing for my power supply stating that they now only allow authorized dealers to list items as brand new and converted my listing to Mint and then they suspended it because I only had pictures of the sealed box. They said I have to open the box and remove the item and take pics of it. I'm not going to do that. With Ebay now at the same seller fee rate, I will just sell them there but thought it was a dick move by Reverb.

3. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I only use eBay when I want a guaranteed sale within 3, 5, 7, or 10 days and have no idea what I can get for it, so I start the listing at 99cents with no reserve.

This is especially true for smaller value items like pedals, parts., etc., or items where there are tons of similar/identical listings. You're more likely to sell with a no reserve auction and letting ppl bid it up.

Of course, you're talking about selling 25 guitars a month so that may not apply.

But that's the main difference for me. No "auction-style" listings on Reverb as far as I know.

4. Krautzman

Krautzman Junior Member

As a buyer I'm beginning to steer clear of eBAY thanks to losing several guitars through their Global Shipping Program. I recently lost a Made In Japan Jackson Soloist from the early 90's with OHSC that i picked for $300AUD + $90AUD for delivery. eBAY / Pitney Bowes now consider any guitar that contains Rosewood to be in contradiction of the CITES agreement and as such will cancel any shipping when it reaches their warehouse in Kentucky , regardless of any certificates you may have for the guitar in question. They do the usual refunding of everyone's fees and then relist the item for sale again. Here is a copy of what eBAY sent me recently in regard to the Jackson Dinky XL. **As of January 2, 2017, trade of any wooden item containing any amount of Rosewood (300 different species of rosewood) will now be protected under CITES (all appendix) under the new trade restrictions. If an item is delivered to our shipping center and there is a chance it contains this type of wood, the parcel will be marked restricted and will not be forwarded on. Because our third party shippers are not experts, if there is any chance this wood is within an item, we will not forward it on and a refund will be issued to both parties. The item will be liquidated (not destroyed) to recoup some of our loss. In these situations, because both parties have received funds, the transaction is considered complete and no further action will be taken at this time.** Many sellers are unwilling to organize different shipping because eBAY's GSP is so cheap.
    I have found Reverb sellers to be far more negotiable with regard to shipping and insurance arrangements , so I would advise all sellers and buyers to beware of eBAY in future and in particular the Global Shipping Program.

5. Big Daddy B

I am curious where ebay is liquidating these guitars. May be some good deals to be had for domestic buyers. They just putting them up in no reserve auctions??

6. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

It looks like ebay should learn the law and what it states in regards to CITES.

"The item will be liquidated (not destroyed) to recoup some of our loss." So it is OK for them to resell the item but the buyer of the item cannot receive it???

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  7. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

I made my first Reverb listing yesterday for my G&L. I never thought about listing on eBay because of all the horror stories I've read. Still a little nervous about the Reverb thing because I'll have to pack and ship and take a chance that the guitar will be damaged in shipping. And it's tough to get used to the fees when I've been dealing with craigslist all these years. For some reason, meeting someone in a dark alley at 2am so they can check out my guitar still seems like a good deal because I don't have to pay fees! Why am I so cheap! I hope this Reverb thing works out great and I feel confident selling on there more.

8. Big Daddy B

In my area the police let and encourage people to use the parking lot at their polices stations to conduct online transactions. Check with your local police and they may allow the same.

I just don't waste my time posting on CL anymore because buyers out here never have the money or think you are a degenerate gambler desperate for cash and only want to offer half of a fair price. A couple of years ago I had a guy swearing at me telling me that I wouldn't get more than $800 for a 2002 Les Paul Classic. Ended up getting $1550 on ebay.

penguinchit likes this.
  9. mekhem

mekhem Member

As a seller - Reverb. Less shenanigans <so far>, lower fees, but a smaller market

10. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Neither........................

11. hackenfort

hackenfort Premium Member

Now that eBay reduced fees I think eBay has much great exposure. ie many more people.

With Reverb I seem to get tons of question, that never end up in a sale.

And the last Reverb sale I had, the guy ended up returning the guitar (said he didn't like the color), ended up being a mess as Reverb refunded his payment, then hit my credit card again for the refund. They did make good on it once I notified them.

But I ended up eating the Shipping charges of $127, and Reverb never got back to me on why?

12. Big Daddy B

Noticed something interesting today. I posted a guitar I was thinking about selling on Reverb, mainly just to get the pics and the ad up before ending it. That way if I decide I want to sell it, everything is ready to go. I noticed almost immediately upon posting that I had an offer so I clicked to check it. Sure enough it was from Chicago Music Exchange. What was interesting is it was automatically declined because it was 60% of the asking price. I enrolled in the low-ball auto reject feature which, "according to their research" rejects offers <64% because that supposedly is the number that separates serious buyers from low-ballers. So I ask you, was the owner of site then proceeding to low-ball me?

Xrun Morzov likes this.
  13. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

The greatest challenge I ever faced in my life was to try to register as a seller on eBay from Hong Kong. I never managed. As a seller Reverb is as smooth and quick as it gets. It takes minutes to register and make your first listing. As a buyer, it's been great. Once I bought a guitar that was a scam and they supported me throughout the PayPal refund process because they are real people who care about gear and customers, not a big corporate Google-machine like eBay that sells a bazillion things and lose your stuff with that bullcrap evil Global Shipping Program. Ebay is good to buy watches and stuff. Reverb is tailored for guitars.