Ebay Vs Reverb head to head as a seller. Opinions?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by changeling93305, Feb 14, 2017.

1. changeling93305

changeling93305 Senior Member

I've become more and more disenfranchised with ebay lately. The largest problem i have found is that buyers continually want sellers to lower their price and will circumvent with you but won't pay fair market value. And sellers have to deal with the higher fee's. I had a frivalous return forced on me there by a dishonest buyer that ebay made me swallow double shipping on lately and that seems to be a final straw with me how they do not support their sellers and the buyer is always right.

I recently gave reverb a go. And had a couple sales where it outperformed ebay head to head when they were listed on both sites. Reverb is clearly better when things work out. My concern with reverb was that ebay had to big of a monopoly and that there are still a ton of buyers on ebay that are not on reverb.

I understand reverb is growing though. Where i am at now is i am thinking of completely switching over, an ongoing inventory of about 25 guitars a month to Reverb entirely.

What are your opinions on this matter? I know on the LP forum there are probably a lot of Reverbers here. But is it really good enough to give up Ebay entirely for it?

Nick,

Sp8ctre likes this.
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I think you've pretty much got it figured out in that eBay is going to be your bigger market by quite a lot, so you're going to have a smaller pool of potential buyers on Reverb. That said, Reverb does seem to be growing rapidly and I've started to gradually move over. Over the past few years, I've tended to list things on both sites (with my Reverb price being more competitive), but there are things now that I only list on Reverb. I still haven't made the switch completely and I also don't do nearly as much selling as you.

That was more rambling than I intended. :eek:
    I guess I would say that I wouldn't quite be ready to switch over completely.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  3. MoJoe77

MoJoe77 Senior Member

reverb all the way, being a seller on both! Less fees, and you can also buy on the shipping protection they offer directly. Yes, you have a smaller audience, but I've had good luck selling for most of my items which keeps me away from eBay.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

I've had MUCH better luck selling AND buying on Reverb. Less fees, plus if you ship through them, the shippings charges are less.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  5. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

I prefer Reverb as they are more musician-centric, but they hit you for the listing fee and the credit card charges if your buyer uses a credit card to purchase. Keep that in mind when you set your listing price.

6. judson

judson Senior Member

i use eBay for alot of things buying and selling, bought one guitar from a Reverb seller and it went ok. we all know eBay has the volume of Buyers and sellers but as a Seller how do the fees compare?

as a seller, we all want low cost to sell but you may sacrifice exposure with reverb

7. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I prefer Reverb, But, on Ebay they sell faster. Ebay rapes you on fees. I think the limited time listings gives the buyers a little panic feeling. Wish Reverb had the time limit thing going on, maybe things would sell faster. Although, If you have something out of the ordonary, it will sell. Just listed my 06 Epi 57 Reissue jr. It sold in 2 days. I have a few other guitars that have been there over a month and have seen guitars listed for over a year.

8. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

I don't see why anyone would sell music gear on Ebay anymore, now that Reverb is here. The fees are much lower and everyone knows about it, so people are using it.

9. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Member

I have used both, but if you price it sensibly reverb sells very fast. It is all about putting the price to sell.

10. JOC

JOC Senior Member

+1 for Reverb. I gave up on eBay due to the ever increasing fees and lack of seller support. I switched over to Reverb last May and have had over $25K in sales. I deal in collector quality and vintage instruments, amps and some pro audio. Once you make 10 sales you become a preferred seller and the fees go down a bit. You also get an actual human account manager. They also have periodic sales that you can jump in on with a 15% discount coupon. I price my stuff about 15% higher than I need to get so if it sells at a sale I'm doing fine. I also take offers, have 100% 5 star feedback and have never had a return. I find the customer base to be more knowledgeable, not that there aren't a few tire kickers, and the Reverb support team has been great to work with. The interface is easy. The key is to have lots of high quality, detailed pics and a thorough description.

11. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

Even keeping in mind my previous comment, Reverb is much better. Also, when you pull a listing for a local sale, there is no hassle in the process.

12. Exodus5

Exodus5 Senior Member

I only list on Ebay when I get the "no final value fee" deal.
    I have found that Reverb gets me a LOT of 1/2 price offers. Just nonsense offers too...not even close. I usually ask a little high (10%) there because I don't think I've ever sold anything that wasn't a "best offer".

13. changeling93305

changeling93305 Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, one thing i have noticed is if you have already put in the work to write an ad, take pictures and post it on ebay.

It goes really quick to post the same ad on reverb with a cut paste. Their interface is quicker. So i think what i will be doing is some head to head with both.

With Reverb being priced lower equivalently with the lower fee's.

It's extra work, but not to much really. And if it makes things sell faster...

14. Faceman

Faceman Senior Member

Reverb is a much better experience as a seller. I've never had a bad deal on Reverb and they charge a fair fee. Ebay fees drove me away and I soured on them years ago when they removed the option of leaving negative feedback for deadbeat buyers.

15. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

as a buyer, ebay is horrible. only the no-reserve auctions are worth bidding on, as the buy it now prices are mostly outrageous. the item is almost never as-described; people make the excuse you can send it back, but that is an additional hassle. As far as the no-reserve auctions, there is some kind of BOT people use to auto-outbid you.The more ebay becomes a dealer dominated site, the less i'm interested.

16. Jcolmn

Jcolmn Member

I often list something on both ebay and Reverb. I will write in my description that if you find this guitar for sale on another website for a lower price, it is due to ebay's ridiculous seller fees. Adding that I don't care where you buy it, but if you want to buy it here, it costs more.

The other thing to do is to have a unique word in the title that if googled, brings you to the Reverb listing.

This takes advantage of ebay's traffic and Reverb's seller fees.

Blue Blood likes this.
  17. eeprete

eeprete Senior Member

Reverb has been great for me as a buyer and a seller but always make sure you accurately quote shipping also and always make sure you using the shipping tools built within. Going with your own ups acct can cost be 50% more.

eBay has priced themselves out of the guitar market. When I am barely getting 80% of an items sale price once shipped, that's a problem. Thats a sizeable overhead.

Even though reverb is less known, I do find there are more serious buyers on there.

But also from a selling point of view, we need to be reasonable as sellers. It makes no sense to list a 2013 Les Paul Traditional at 1800 when anyone can go into GC and get a 2016 for a touch more. I've seen some 2017s listed for less than 2010s or 2013s.

I'm in the market for another LP, and I see people selling used for almost the cost of new....

18. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

I've sold on both but now strictly use Reverb . Most stuff sells quick because I don't have to price it to cover ridiculous fees. The fees and shipping tools offered on Reverb are definitely a perk.

That being said, one of your complaints was buyers wanting a lower price. If you think eBay was bad for that, its ten fold on Reverb. I use the tool in the settings to auto decline any offers less than 60% of asking to at least weed out half the stupid offers. That way I'm not on there constantly declining offers by low ballers.

19. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Not much to add...
    Reverb is smaller, friendlier, more enthusiast-oriented...but lacks Ebays huge audience.
    My 2ยข...with as much as you sell, support Reverb.
    Stacking the deck with as many quality sellers and buyers can only help.

20. comcf

comcf Member

Reverb is clearly growing and I hope it overtakes Ebay as the marketplace. I've bought and sold on both. Reverb is better as a buyer and as a seller. No comparison.

Ebay is too big for own britches and simply not competitive for a regular person/ small seller.

pillbug likes this.