eBay bid question

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Archie090612, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Archie090612

Archie090612 Senior Member

Hi I was wondering how the experienced eBay sellers have the most success selling higher end guitars, i see a lot of expensive guitars up for months and with a lot of watchers but not necessarily anybody bidding, is it to much of a gamble to start the bid really low like eBay recommend for a treasured guitar?

2. guitarjoem

guitarjoem Double Platinum Supporter MLP Vendor

It can be a gamble, but it depends on the guitar and how popular the guitar is in general. If you are selling a Les Paul Standard you'll likely get something close to what it is worth as that is a very popular guitar. If you are selling a Midtown Custom or a Reverse Flying V or a Marauder then you might not find a buyer at the price you want. In any case just set a reserve at the lowest price you're willing to take and you won't have to worry about getting stuck selling your guitar for $5!
    Be certain to calculate what eBay is going to take when your guitar sells into your reserve price.

3. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Silver Supporter

Buy low, sell high, what's the problem?

4. Archie090612

There ain’t no problem I just wanted to get clued up I bought all my guitars new so the buy low doesn’t really apply to me I don’t generally buy guitars to sell them it’s just I’m raising a family now And I have about 12 guitars I’m probably going to sell 2 of them I was thinking of starting the bids low to get a few people bidding and so on thanks for the input I will look in to putting a reserve if I do sell.
    Have a good evening

5. judson

judson Senior Member

you can also have a high "Buy It Now" button and then add in the "Make Offer" button to see what kind of offers you get, i always was more comfortable with that sceanario and you can sometimes make a deal. you will get alot of lowball offers s but who cares, someone may step up to the plate

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

If you start it at a penny with no "buy it now", you'll pay the lowest fees in the end. ....unless that's changed.

7. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Just start it at a penny, no reserve.

Then have a buddy shill-bid it up to a reasonable value on the last three hours. Worst case, you eat the fees, but learn exactly what the market will really pay.

;) What, do you think this isn't what's happening on eBay?

8. Archie090612

Thanks for the input guys I have seen the friend bidding situation when people are selling property it’s not a bad shout

9. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I was kidding about doing that. you could end up eating some pretty steep seller fees when the guitar "sells" to your buddy.

It's also against the rules of eBay.

10. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Ebay has algorithms that track shill bidding. These days it can be surprisingly difficult to get away with.

11. Archie090612

eBay watch everything