easy first songs to learn?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by The Outlaw, Nov 21, 2011.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

i think i'll give these a shot next. i havent completely gotten the others down yet but i think if i keep trying to play enter sandman and sweet child o mine over and over much longer wifey might try to strangle me with my cables

2. tributeman

tributeman Member

If you're looking for real electric guitar songs, then I am having the same problem as you. If one of your 5 guitars happens to be acoustic, then there are many songs. there are some pretty easy versions of Yesterday by the beatles or Scarborough fair by S&G (simplified from the 'real' version on their records). I am just a beginner myself and not a natural talent, but I can play those 2 and a few more.
    I have to say however, that I spend less than 1/3 of my time playing songs, and most of the time playing drills and exercises. Not always big fun, but it helps me to make rapid progress, and brings some more different songs within reach. If you realy fail at even the easiest song, than maybe a couple of weeks of drill exercises will pave the road.

Good luck

3. Nay

Nay Senior Member

+1

Drill exercises... Whoot!

(does really, really, really, really help beyond trying to learn songs).

4. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

i've been using a couple of things i found in guitar magazines from oli herbert and malmsteen and one of malikon's weekly lick lessons as a sort of drill every time i pick up a guitar. can you point me in the direction of the drills you are talking about?

i think i may check out seek and destroy today.

5. Nay

Nay Senior Member

6. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

sweet ill give that a shot. i've already started trying that pick hold and still not sure if its for me or not.

And the good news is?
    i seem to be picking up metallicas seek and destroy faster than i have anything else.:D

i knew there was a catch damn it!! i was all excited i was getting it then i realized there were palm mutes..... palm mutes are one of my many weak spots. guess its a good thing im getting the rest of it first because it will make it easier to learn palm mutes after i got the rest rather than trying to learn a new song and technique all at once...

oh well progress is progress.

7. Nay

Nay Senior Member

It takes time.

I remember right back aroun 15 years old trying to learn pop n slap lines on bass. I roughly got the hang of a few things eventually, then as I moved on from "Cant Stop" to "Aeroplane" (both by the RHCP) something clicked. Bit more practice and Flea's technique was perfectly fine to play. However, his finger style is still very tricky.

Mind was blown apart when I was moving up in the world to parts of Mark Kings lines. But I learned that even though I could play a large portion of Mr. Pink and Love Games by Mark King/Level 42, I wasn't a good bass player or musician.

Learning guitar has helped me "re-learn" things in a better way.

Oh, and palm-muting is tricky to get the hang off. I found it easier to learn how to do from plowing the same powerchord over and over again (my classic fav, D on the A string) and trying to mute it and play it. Then rythmically change from muted to open say every 2 beats.

8. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

getting a bit frustrated with sweet child o mine and teen spirit. lots of little screw ups with teen spirit and i can only play sweet child o mine intro a couple of times before it starts to fall apart for me. think im going to move on to some of the acdc recomendations and work more on metallicas seek and destroy.

9. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

If you like girls, and just a good song. Learn Wagon Wheel.......

Thank me later.

10. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

double post. weird.

11. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

i like any song that i can learn to play lol i wont be able to play anything im actually into for a really long time.

12. Nay

Nay Senior Member

What do you like?

If its stupidly fast power metal like Dragon Force, then your in for a lot of speed pick training :D

If its more thrashy, (Pantera, Metallica) then apart from solos most of it is within reach. Unless your into things like Joe Satriani... (Random guessing really).

Speaking of which, if it hasn't been said already. "Always with Me, Always with You" by Joe Satriani has an excellent melody that starts easy (after the intro) and progressively gets harder. Its an excellent song to try and get that melodic feel...

Oh, something else for palm muting. The verse of Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell". Its palm muting the open E string, then a little lick.

Another, albeit bit more tricky, is Rammstein's "Du Hast". Its power chords then palm muting the open E again. Quite common in Thrash metal lines, and an easier way to get a feel for palm muting.

Also remember, software like "Transcribe" can slow down songs without affecting pitch to make it easier to pick up on subtle rhythms and play along with, whilst slowly but surely speeding up...

And dont forget the exercises! :D

13. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

mainly into stuff like korn, pantera, godsmack, slipknot.

14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbJggTeCPhk]How to Play ELECTRIC FUNERAL by BLACK SABBATH - YouTube[/ame]

I don't bother to tune down for this one

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4VYLmQ2Ik]Into The Void - Black Sabbath (tutorial) - YouTube[/ame]

Don't worry about learning the whole song all at once. There are enough riffs in these 2 to keep you busy for a while I would think. I really like the single string riff stuff.

1 person likes this.
  15. doza808

doza808 Senior Member

Personally, I learned "What I got" by Sublime, "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley, and "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley. They are great songs were extremely easy to learn. All in standard tuning too. :thumb: Good luck braddah!!

16. kcassady

kcassady Senior Member

First songs i learned were " house of the rising sun"
    and "sleepwalk"

Just keep playing!!!!!:slash:

17. Stonehead

Stonehead Senior Member

I have been studying for a while now and sometimes in utter frustration i just want to throw my guitars and amps out the friggn'n window. But the only way to get better is practice, practice practice. A friend of mine gave me a book by Jamie Andreas its called "the principals of correct practice for guitar". Jamie is a bit of a freak, but who isn't? and he knows his shit. He teaches you how to practice properly. The couple of things he does emphasize is to learn to relax while playing. Body position in relation to the guitar and to recognize shoulder and arm tension and how it effects the fingers. He also emphasizes the point of learning how to develop muscle memory properly. I kinda scoffed at it when first looked at it but now after getting nowhere for some time i have taken a serious look at it and there are some very useful lessons in it. You could probably download it on line or order it through amazon.

1 person likes this.
  18. 05jrock

05jrock Senior Member

Electric Funeral is pretty easy.
    I usually have trouble learning a whole song,Get a bit frustrated then give up.
    Saw someone in this thread suggested this song so I gave it a try.Learnt it in 1 session,Pretty cool song to play.

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

black sabbath, nirvana is a great place to start...

I still remember the first one I 'learned'... not the easiest, but it was a great start.

Is There Anybody Out There - Pink Floyd - YouTube

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma63vb7mXWo&feature=related[/ame]

20. straightblues

straightblues Senior Member

Check out three chord guitar dot com. They have video lessons for lots of songs played with three chords.

I have heard similar comments when I have tried to teach adults. Learning guitar just takes time and work. There is no short cut. You need to put in the work.