easy first songs to learn?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by The Outlaw, Nov 21, 2011.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

help me keep from getting discouraged and giving up please. i need some tips on good songs to learn as a first song/s i've yet to play a complete song from start to finish.

i have trouble with palm mutes, and multiple notes at the same time (fat un trained fingers)

i dont care about genre, im open to anything from country to rock. Standard tuning is prefered but im open to drop d and drop c tunings.

its embarasing that i have owned 5 guitars in the past 10 years and cant play a single song. its even more embarrasing when i drop a guitar off for a setup and he asks me to play before i leave to see if im happy and i just put on a fake grin and act like i dont have time.

it hurts when i think about it... i've never been GREAT at anything in life but i was always a quick learner with everything else and got good enough at whatever it was to feel like i accomplished something. here i just feel like im fighting a loosing battle

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC dont just give me a band name and say anything by them is easy.

2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Wild Thing: open A to open D to open E back to open D back to open A.

The part with "Wild Thing I think you move me" is just open A to open G and back to A.

Once you get that, try Summer Time Blues: open A to open D to open E > G > A all in quick succession.

Also, just go to youtube and type in "how to play easy songs" or look up simple songs you want to learn. If you are not understanding how one person plays a song, try another video. Some people make things more complicated than they need to.

Getting over that initial hump can be frustrating.

3. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Get CCR's greatest hits. All fairly easy and fun songs to play with some nice guitar licks mixed in.

Bigdude191, redwinepaul and River like this.
  4. River

River Senior Member

The only thing you have to be embarrassed about is embarrassment itself. Let it go.

Here's one for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifq-NRZ_CK0]Do-Wah-Diddy - YouTube[/ame]

And another:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isU0CPDwK_I]One Bourbon - YouTube[/ame]

And another:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77otWuuKH1w]Outside Woman Blues - YouTube[/ame]

And my "breakthrough" complete song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6Dw8T1Yrc]Livin' Lovin' Jam - YouTube[/ame]

If I'm not embarrassed, why in the world should you be? :hmm:

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-OsH0RQ]nirvana - smells like teen spirit - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7K4jH7NqUw]Johnny Cash-Walk The Line - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0714IbwC3HA]Let It Be - The Beatles - Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

6. corksniffer

corksniffer Banned

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAcy60XQPg0&feature=player_embedded]How to Play Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit - Easy Rock Songs on Guitar - Lessons - YouTube[/ame]

7. marson

marson Senior Member

seven nation army by the white stripes was the first song i learned on guitar... good luck

8. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

because i hate that i dont seem to make progress which sounds like failure to me and i've never been a total failure (in my eyes) at anything. i've always learned quick and been good (not great) at everything i've tried.

not to mention i come from a long line of string strummin hillbillies seem to be able to learn to play any song in minutes by ear. i on the other hand cant even tune by ear.:laugh2:

redwinepaul and JPP373 like this.
  9. Strato

Strato Banned

Take your time Outlaw. When you feel like you're not comprehending stuff, take a break and think it over. Knowing that you have never failed at anything in life is a great thing to keep in your head. Things in life worth having are worth being persistent at. Talent included. Now I think I'll watch a few of those videos myself. Thanks guys.

10. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

perfect!! loved the song forever but figured it was way too hard, i think i may be able to play this within the next month :laugh2: if i can get the hang of picking both up and down, i've only ever picked downward. hopefully i c an make some time for this tonight. i think i can learn it and if i can get it down that would definatly give me a confidance boost.

my last confidance boost was when i got the fingering down for malikons advanced lick lesson 25. that was shattered soon after when i actually watched the video (was just going by the tabs) and saw the speed it had to be done... lol i cant even come close.... but atleast i got the fingering down lol

btw that guy in this vid could be the twin of the guy who owns the local skateboard/headshop.

ed1996 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  11. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

As far as I can remember, my first was "House of the Rising Sun". But it seems that it was more likely to have been something more mundane - a 3-chorder, like Mary Had a Little Lamb (the kid's song, not Stevie Ray Vaughan), or maybe My Sweet Lord...

SmokestackElRopo and Strato like this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Don't sweat yourself so much, brotha. Relax, have fun, and give it an hour a day six days a week. I promise you that in a year you will be much better. I mean, I promise you.

You must first tell your inner critic to shut the hell up. Second, you must apply yourself moderately. Third, you must continue your efforts even when you don't think you are making any headway.

You can do it. Now get to work, and have fun!

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

The toughest thing to do is putting in the time it takes. You really have to commit to practicing to advance.

bsm9981, Strato and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  14. chriseskew24

chriseskew24 Senior Member

Bob Dylan knocking on heavens door.

G D C entire song

15. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

i go at it atleast an hour aday but not always plugged in and i've also relocated a guitar to the bedroom which i am starting to practice chords (totally suck fat fingers always buzzin on another string) i need to switch guitars though because i think my agile with wide neck would be better for me to learn chords on.

yea but man thats alot of crappy guitar to make everyone else put up with in the mean time lol in all seriousness though i have trouble sticking with anything that i dont pick up right away.

i think my adhd/ocd has alot to do with it. i practice the same things over and over again trying to get them perfect but never seem to be able to and it gets depressing.

on a side note i ment to post this the other night but man im a F'n retard. lately i couldnt get a good sound out of my dean vendetta/ marshall mg15dfx combo so i bought a new fender mustang 3 amp and had the guitar setup. setup was finished around the same time the new amp came and man did it sound alot better, plugged into the marshall it sounded like crap again....

why does that make me a retard? i was using the planet waves cable with the mustang (came with it) and a cheapo cable with the marshall. when i'd switch amps or guitars i left the cords plugged into the amps and just plugged/unplugged form the guitar end... for some reason i tried the planet waves cable with the marshall last night and by damn its a pretty good sounding amp.... the cable made a night and day differance

i spent $300 on an amp when i could have just bought a $20 cable and another guitar that i couldnt play

i do like the mustang better and theres no question it sounds better to me but if i would have pluged a better cable in the marshall i'd have never paid $300 to upgrade amps. luckily i was too stupid to figure it out in time so i have a nice new mustang. it works out though mustang downstairs for daily practice with effects and marshall in the bedroom played clean with just a bit of reverb for before bed chord practice :laugh2:

16. River

River Senior Member

Of all the three-chord songs in the universe to recommend, please, oh please, let that one go.

Please.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Hey, Outlaw, if a dumbass like me can learn enough to climb onstage, you can too. Quit downing on yourself and learn to measure your victories, not your troubles. The most important advice my Dad ever gave me:

If you control your attitude, you will gain the aptitude. How high you fly after that is up to you.

And happy new amp day, man!

eta:

This is what I mean when I say "Tell your inner critic to shut the hell up." Understand that it ain't gonna be perfect. Understand that this is rocknfvckinroll and it's gonna be messy. don't judge yourself while you're practicing. Give yourself three months on the regimen I outlined above, and then start recording your practices.

And when you listen back, take note of your successes as well as your failures.

redwinepaul, River and chriseskew24 like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Its funny, I always played G D Am. They don't sound very different, so I searched tabs and the song alternates between the Am and the C. Ultimately, you can get away with either the C or the Am.

:laugh2:

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  19. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

House of the rising sun, man. Do it! You'll have to look up the words, but here's the chords...

Am, C, D, F
    Am, C, E, E7
    Am, C, D, F
    Am, E7, Am, E7

repeat, repeat, repeat.

Great chord progression, cool song, and a good springboard to other songs (lots) that have similar chord structures.

Good luck!

20. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

My first song to learn was: "The House of the Rising Sun"

Am C D F
    There is a house in New Orleans,
    Am C E7
    They call the "Rising Sun",
    Am C D F
    It's been the ruin of many a poor girl, (boys?)
    Am E Am E7
    And God, I know, I'm one.

My mother was a tailor,
    She sewed those new blue jeans,
    my husbend he's a gambling man,
    (drinks) down in New Orleans.

My husbend in a gambler,
    He goes from town to town,
    The only time, he's satisfied, is when
    He drinks his liquor down.

Oh, mother, tell your children
    Not to do what I have done -